Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo kits for the sc300

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 07:25 AM
yell0w
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo kits for the sc300

I've been reading and searching on the forums a lot about doing NA-T but everything is just so scattered. I was just wondering which kit has people gone with and how they are doing so far with it. Also if you can post up your setup and numbers that'd be great!!

Options that I have seen the most are......

1.) Turbo XS power kit $1800
2.) Boost Logic $4-$5k (that's a grip!!!)
3.) BoostWerx/Dave H $1800
4.) Build your own kit $???

Sorry if i got the pricing wrong. Please don't flame me, I just want a simple answer.
Old 04-27-13, 11:17 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Well I'm not an NA-T guy but what I've learned from my share of reading about it is that there are many ways to skin a cat from manifold and turbo selection to the engine management. Once you leave the OEM-ish territory of a 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE swap you can achieve our power goals in many different ways and get similar results.

Add to that, above a certain power level even owners with GTE swaps are going to be applying similar techniques that go into NA-T cars. That's the reason doing it the right way gets expensive fast.

For instance, if I were going to do this I'd use a Treadstone manifold (because I am not looking for 600whp and it looks "factory-ish"), whatever turbo is on the DaveH kit, a 27" height intercooler, 440cc injectors, a thicker metal head gasket, stock Supra TT fuel pump and ECU, distributor delete modification and an Aristo 2JZGTE ECU with corresponding air meter. Oh and some kind of front facing intake manifold. Now that's not nearly everything needed and I am certain that seasoned NA-T guys who have actually done it might have problems with one or two of my selections but for the most part all of that is just one way to create an NA-T car.

And that's not even with an off-the-shelf kit. ALL of those kits are missing some form of engine management, fuel pumps, etc. so I've always taken comparisons with a grain of salt.

After tons of research I am going GTE swap but for NA-T I think building your own is best.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-28-13 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-27-13, 11:32 AM
mattjk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can check out what I'm doing (click my sig), but it all depends on your goals. I'm going for about 550rwhp, so I'm making sure I get the best parts possible. Reliability is more critical at those numbers.

I've heard the xs power or cx racing kits are ok if you replace all the lines and hoses with good quality pieces, and get a good wastegate.

If you don't want to piece your own kit together, I would personally go with something proven like the boostwerx.

KahnBB6: Treadstone manifold WILL flow 600hp.
634rwhp / 677rwtq

Old 04-27-13, 12:01 PM
Knuckleup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont cut corners on the important stuff. Build it right, and you'll only have to build it once.......until you make too much power for that setup and break **** lol.
Old 04-27-13, 09:00 PM
yell0w
Driver

Thanks for the respnse guys. Yeah I'm kind of at that point where i just want to get a kit, take it to the shop to install and tune and just drive it. I don't do a lot of racing or anything like that just kind of miss the boost. 450-550hp sounds pretty good to me already.
Old 04-27-13, 09:55 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500 - 570 HP is a range for modern exotic cars... well.... theyre getting faster... But at those numbers, you can stay with them After that it gets pointless and less fun unless you track it or get rid of the car.

I just bought an SP63 turbo and am going to build up around that turbo. I was planning turbo kits but I'm in no rush plus keeping the budget low.
Old 04-28-13, 05:43 AM
yell0w
Driver

so Azn i'm asuming just the usual build then? Thicker Head gasket, arp head studs for internals, some type of fuel management, fmic, injectors, bpu etc.?
Old 04-28-13, 08:34 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much, I am still learning myself as this will be my first boosted car. Which is why I'm taking the hard route of piecing things together so it sticks in my head and learn exactly what everything does and stuff, etc. More power you want, more you'll have to do plus part quality.

I'm going with a full on standalone, which will probably be the most expensive.

Check out ClubNA-T forum, nice place for basic info
Old 04-28-13, 09:28 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

na-t kits arent bad, but if you want the most bang for the buck, build your own kit. You can get a turbo that will support you from low hp (300-350hp range) to 800+rwhp, vs. most of the kits will support mid 600hp.

Also, dont let anyone tell you that used parts arent a good idea. My first na-t kit I spent less than $1500, and made 330rwhp on stock fuel and compression with ease, and drove all over Texas. My second na-t setup was just as fun, but used a bigger turbo and some other goodies. Then I got bored and we LS1.

Just be sure if you buy used parts, to check them well, and rebuild if possible. Rebuilding turbo's is easy, and rebuild kits are generally less than $100.

Oh and before anyone starts slamming XS Power manifolds, I had 2, one for each na-t setup I had. Never let me down once, no cracks or fitment issues. Same with the XS Power wastegate, its identical to the HKS gate, I even used an HKS diaphragm in my second one cause I didnt believe that it was identical.

If your going to build your own kit, order your parts from DM, not ebay. Atleast if by chance something doesnt fit, Aaron at DM is easier to deal with than some ebay turd that is going to charge you a 30% restocking fee.

Hope that tid bit of info is helpful. Im always willing to help, shoot me a pm if needed.
Old 04-28-13, 11:03 AM
yell0w
Driver

Will do Turbo. did you happen to go with the r154 as well or did you stay w58?

Last edited by yell0w; 04-28-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-28-13, 12:24 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yell0w
Will do Turbo. did you happen to go with the r154 as well or did you stay w58?
Neither actually. Both na-t setups were used with the stock auto a340 trans. Only manual trans my car has seen is the t56 that's in it now. And if I ever go back to a 2j car with boost, it will get a t56 adapted to it.