Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

EGR question and a little smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 03:24 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR question and a little smoke...

OK I have read pretty much every thread on the EGR but most do not relate to the SC. I know I have a CEL for my EGR, my question is this...where is it??? I have a 97 SC300. I snapped off a few pics of my engine if someone could just copy the pic with paint and then maybe draw an arrow or a circle around where the EGR is so I can take it out and clean the filter (something I read in one of the threads) if this doesnt work is it possible to just unplug it (and use resistors) BUT still keep all the other components in tact. Meaning not using block off plates??? Also as I am sure you saw in the title when I popped my hood from coming home from work I noticed a little bit of smoke in the engine bay...it looked as if it were coming from distributor cap?!?!?!?! While I was looking under there I noticed a good deal of oil under the cap on that little plate under it. In the picture I wiped it off but I included a pic so you could see where I was talking about. Does anyone have any input on any of the issues I am having, if so please help!!!

Old 12-15-04, 05:10 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

get a pic of the back of your engine like closer to the firewall but on the intake manifold side. it should be right behind the intake manifold. also what is your car doing exactly? rough idle? or lack of power? if so then carbon might be built up on the egr valve and keep it from closing all the way which would let too much exhaust in the cylinders. the egr valve should only be open at light to moderate engine loads, and it should close at idle and wot.

Last edited by audi2nr; 12-15-04 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-15-04, 07:07 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Looks like a valve cover seal leak that is burning off on your exhaust manifold.
Old 12-15-04, 07:27 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea you've definitely got a nice valve cover leak. Not TOO terribly hard to fix, just not fun taking off that y-pipe. As for the EGR valve, its kind of "above" the throttle body where those 3 hoses hook into the top of it, its circular and black plastic (or maybe metal I forget) It says EGR right on it
Old 12-15-04, 07:37 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

I dont mind it being the valve cover gasket, I was going to replace it when I changed the plugs and wires anyway. I'll try get a better look at the back of my motor tommorow. It was getting pretty dark out when I took those pics. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 12-15-04, 07:39 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by audi2nr
get a pic of the back of your engine like closer to the firewall but on the intake manifold side. it should be right behind the intake manifold. also what is your car doing exactly? rough idle? or lack of power? if so then carbon might be built up on the egr valve and keep it from closing all the way which would let too much exhaust in the cylinders. the egr valve should only be open at light to moderate engine loads, and it should close at idle and wot.
I mainly posted this in response to my CEL coming on for my EGR but I do have a surging idle. I read that this could be from my TPS being off???
Old 12-15-04, 08:21 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

um i think it would be the idle air control being off more than the tps. also i will look on my shop computer tomorrow to find the egr, but i swear it is behind the intake manifold near the firewall, i took mine off and the hardline from the exhaust was connected there. what year is your sc?
Old 12-15-04, 08:25 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

97 and you guys are all awesome...
Old 12-17-04, 03:05 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EGR question and a little smoke...

Originally posted by boobstar
OK I have read pretty much every thread on the EGR but most do not relate to the SC. I know I have a CEL for my EGR, my question is this...where is it??? I have a 97 SC300. I snapped off a few pics of my engine if someone could just copy the pic with paint and then maybe draw an arrow or a circle around where the EGR is so I can take it out and clean the filter (something I read in one of the threads) if this doesnt work is it possible to just unplug it (and use resistors) BUT still keep all the other components in tact. Meaning not using block off plates??? Also as I am sure you saw in the title when I popped my hood from coming home from work I noticed a little bit of smoke in the engine bay...it looked as if it were coming from distributor cap?!?!?!?! While I was looking under there I noticed a good deal of oil under the cap on that little plate under it. In the picture I wiped it off but I included a pic so you could see where I was talking about. Does anyone have any input on any of the issues I am having, if so please help!!!
Bobby, I know your pain. I've dealt with both of these issues recently, except I have a '92 sc300. Now, assuming the engines are at least very similiar, your EGR assembly is held onto that huge Y-pipe via 2 bolts, then via another 2 bolts on the engine near the firewall (it's hard to get to, you'll need extensions, there's a thread on this somewhere). If you're standing in front of your car facing the engine bay look at the big y-pipe, follow it to the right...you'll see a mess of hoses with a little plastic/metal cap on top of the thicket of hoses, thisis the EGR modulator, the valve is located right behind it under those hoses, a PITA to get to. What you should do is go to the dealer and buy a new EGR gasket, it's like $2. You'll need it when you take all that stuff apart. It's only a dinky little $2 gasket but you have to take the assembly off the engine to acces it. Once you replace the EGR gasket then clean out the EGR valve and you can also pop the cover off the EGR modulator and clean the little filter element inside. It's basically the same labor involved as in a tune-up or spark plug change. Not hella hard but will take hella long because of all the various parts you'll have to remove.

As for the smoke coming from under the distributor, it may be the valve cover gaskets as others have mentioned. I know Wyatt (aerostar) has done this repair recently so you may want to ask him questions about it. I replaced my VCG's a while ago so I don't remember the entire procedure. I also replaced a small o-ring inside the distributor as it was leaking. If you need anything PM me and I'll see what I can dig up for you. Good luck.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 12-17-04 at 03:42 PM.