Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

transmission whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-03, 01:02 AM
muhula
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transmission whine

hi, sc300 newbie here and I don't know if this is normal or not...

So I just bought a 93 with manual transmission, and when the clutch is engaged, a whine comes from the engine bay, and rises in pitch as the revs go up. It's more noticeable under load, but I can hear it almost all the time whether in gear or in neutral. Press the clutch pedal and the sound goes away. Car has 90k miles. Can anybody tell me if this is normal or if I have a problem?

Also an unrelated issue... the emergency brake indicator on my dash goes on sometimes even if the brake is disengaged (but always goes on when it is engaged). Is this a common problem? Can anyone tell me which harnesses I need to look at to test for continuity/voltage? I think it might be a grounding problem.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-03, 01:28 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: transmission whine

Regarding the transmission issue.

My transmission made the exact same sound before it went out on me a while ago.

Since you have a manual, I am not sure if your tranny is experiencing a similar problem or not.

Hopefully it's not.

Jon

Originally posted by muhula
hi, sc300 newbie here and I don't know if this is normal or not...

So I just bought a 93 with manual transmission, and when the clutch is engaged, a whine comes from the engine bay, and rises in pitch as the revs go up. It's more noticeable under load, but I can hear it almost all the time whether in gear or in neutral. Press the clutch pedal and the sound goes away. Car has 90k miles. Can anybody tell me if this is normal or if I have a problem?

Also an unrelated issue... the emergency brake indicator on my dash goes on sometimes even if the brake is disengaged (but always goes on when it is engaged). Is this a common problem? Can anyone tell me which harnesses I need to look at to test for continuity/voltage? I think it might be a grounding problem.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-03, 01:39 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whine sounds like a bearing complaining. Because it happens when in neutral as well, I'd suspect the throw-out (release) bearing which is actually part of the clutch.

Anyway, here are the likely causes of noise in priority order (from the 96 repair manual):

Clutch
1. release bearing
2. pilot bearing
3. input shaft bearing
4. clutch disc torsion rubber damaged

Manual Transmission
1. Oil level low
2. Using wrong oil
3. gear worn or damaged
4. bearing worn or damaged

So, change the oil with fresh spec oil first. If the noise continues, go to your favorite transmission shop for a pro diagnosis (that may cost you $50) then decide if you can DIY.

The flashing brake light could be because the fluid level is low in the reservoir. Fill it to the max mark and check the pads for wear.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 12-07-03 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-07-03, 01:42 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Also, you should pay close attention to where the whine actually came from.

When I first heard the whine in my car, I also thought that it came from the engine bay. However, after repeating the process numerous times, I found out that it's actually coming from underneath the console under my armrest. In other words, it was coming from my tranny.

If your whine is indeed, from the engine bay, then it should not be a transmission related problem.

Jon
Old 12-07-03, 02:11 AM
muhula
Driver School Candidate

wow, 3 replies under an hour... can you feel the love?? thanks baby m3 & carpe diem
Old 12-07-03, 02:15 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

We love to spread the love here on CL.

wow, 3 replies under an hour... can you feel the love?? thanks baby m3 & carpe diem
Old 12-07-03, 02:20 AM
muhula
Driver School Candidate

another quick question... i see a security led light next to my odometer controls, but I didn't get any sort of remote from the previous owner. Does my car have a car alarm? If so, how would I get a replacement remote? (I already have the keyless entry remote built into my key)
Old 12-07-03, 02:21 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

I don't think you have a remote. Instead, use the button on your key and the car would lock itself.

When the car's locked, the alarm indicator should light up.

Jon

another quick question... i see a security led light next to my odometer controls, but I didn't get any sort of remote from the previous owner. Does my car have a car alarm? If so, how would I get a replacement remote? (I already have the keyless entry remote built into my key)
Old 12-07-03, 02:26 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Here's where to get your factory key and remote (or submit to rape at the dealer's):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=74846

Yes, I think all of these cars have a security system.

If your remote doesn't come with programming instructions, do a search. There are several old threads on that topic.

Good luck with the car. You'll love it!
George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 12-07-03 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-07-03, 03:30 AM
muhula
Driver School Candidate

ok well here's a quick update... the console brake indicator turned off when I unplugged the brake fluid sensor, but the fluid was well above the sensor so left it unplugged (I'll probably get a some grief for this hack) since the sensor is wacky.

The security indicator light doesn't go on even after I keylessly lock the door, so I guess I can assume that the LED is out.

thanks again!
Old 12-07-03, 04:46 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Yes, you know you should replace that brake fluid sensor. That's an important safety feature!

Actually you should be able to tell if its the LED by using the button to lock the car with the driver's window down. Then reach in and unlock and open the door from the inside. This should trigger the alarm.

George
Old 12-07-03, 03:03 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

the brake light problem may be because of the brake fluid being low. check that out, i had that problem.

Kevin