NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Bad Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 01:09 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Bad Rear Differential

After having my NX for a month now, noticed last week a rubbing sound. It has gotten worse, took it in to be checked out and guess what ...rear differential has to be replaced. Not to happy right now......I have had 8 Toyotas without anything done to them other than regular maintenance. I move up to Lexus and this. Lexus service told me this was rare to have something like this. I want to believe them, but it is like when you have an accident with your car, you never quite feel the same about it, and worry if it will be right. I hope my opinion about the NX will not change, I really love this vehicle, but today has been a damper. The rest of you have a great weekend....mine is pretty much shot.

Last edited by RDLGX; 05-29-15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 01:37 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Of course it will be different, there will be a new diff in it. Lol

I wouldn't worry about it. Though, I would tend to ask them, what caused the failure.
Old 05-29-15, 01:39 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Remove and replace component type work. It's not like they will modify or try to retrofit something. The AWD system came from Toyota's parts bin, so it's well known, documented and gone through its paces. Components fail, within reason. Let them do the work, and then decide if you even notice it was done.
Old 05-29-15, 02:22 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Of course it will be different, there will be a new diff in it. Lol

I wouldn't worry about it. Though, I would tend to ask them, what caused the failure.
They don't know why other than just defective.....they said it's very rare for this to happen with Lexus. Well it did, and paying a premium price for a vehicle such as this, and especially coming from Japan, it is discouraging to say the least. At least you made me lol...it will have a new rear Differential for sure.
Maybe these are so in demand that quality control is slipping ?
Old 05-29-15, 08:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

It's too bad you got a rare mechanical issue but like the guys have said above, don't sweat it since it's an external part that will be replaced with a new one.
Old 05-30-15, 06:23 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
After having my NX for a month now, noticed last week a rubbing sound. It has gotten worse, took it in to be checked out and guess what ...rear differential has to be replaced. Not to happy right now......I have had 8 Toyotas without anything done to them other than regular maintenance. I move up to Lexus and this. Lexus service told me this was rare to have something like this. I want to believe them, but it is like when you have an accident with your car, you never quite feel the same about it, and worry if it will be right. I hope my opinion about the NX will not change, I really love this vehicle, but today has been a damper. The rest of you have a great weekend....mine is pretty much shot.
I had the tranny fail in my 2010 RX at 2400 miles. Lexus put in a re-manufactured transmission. Of course I was not happy about it...but never had another problem up to the time I sold the car. Lexus did give me a couple perks like increasing the warranty on the transmission and FREE 30,000 service.

Things happen.
Old 05-30-15, 08:07 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No automobile is perfect. IMO it's much more about how issues are dealt with and Lexus is second to none in my experience. As a matter of fact I only have this NX because I went in to arrange the replacement of a dashboard on a 2006 RX. While there I saw the NX and the rest is history.

I was so impressed they were about to replace that dashboard on an 8 year old car that I bought preowned it never even occurred to me to go anywhere else.
Old 05-30-15, 01:45 PM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that this is likely a rare occurrence...and to think just because this is a Lexus that NOTHING should go wrong is an unrealistic expectation that will most certainly lead to disappointment. Remember the Consumer Report reliability rankings had Lexus at the top...but even this ranking did not indicate that there were zero issues with Lexus.
Old 05-30-15, 08:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865
I agree that this is likely a rare occurrence...and to think just because this is a Lexus that NOTHING should go wrong is an unrealistic expectation that will most certainly lead to disappointment. Remember the Consumer Report reliability rankings had Lexus at the top...but even this ranking did not indicate that there were zero issues with Lexus.
Agreed.

Lexus is the best, yet over the years on initial quality surveys for example, it still has had between 68-90 problems per hundred vehicles where the industry average is around 130-150. Perfection is relentlessly in pursuit, but not achieved and realistically never will.
Old 06-09-22, 04:18 AM
nac8656
2nd gear

Default Nancy

Originally Posted by Ronn1
Just got on this website for the first time. A bit daunting to nav at first glance…
Notified two days ago - coupling failure, need new rear differential system at the cost of 2400.
Only 73K miles, ALL maintenance done at Lexus.
Very disappointing, will not purchase another Lexus which is unfortunate. Have purchase eight Lexus’ at the dealership.
Probably a pandemic issue at root. Too bad
Old 06-09-22, 05:21 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by nac8656
Just got on this website for the first time. A bit daunting to nav at first glance…
Notified two days ago - coupling failure, need new rear differential system at the cost of 2400.
Very disappointing, will not purchase another Lexus which is unfortunate. Have purchase eight Lexus’ at the dealership.
Sorry this happened to you, did they tell you why the coupler failed? Just out of curiosity, I see you mentioned all maintenance done at lexus, but have you paid for a differential/transfer case fluid service?
Old 06-10-22, 05:59 AM
nac8656
2nd gear

Man. I'm a film producer not a mechanic. I better start looking for a new car.
Old 06-10-22, 08:46 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by nac8656
Just taking a guess here. Seems to me that it might've been possible to prevent this. I wonder if Lexus was checking your drivetrain fluids?
I'm sure if you had gone to a local mechanic for the work it wouldn't have costed $2,400 - perhaps half of that.

I'm also curious about the answers to Lexuswiz's questions (previous post).