NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dilemma - NX Fsport vs MDX

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 12:30 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
The 9 speed is a ZF tranny and I think someone mentioned it previously that it was giving jeep and Chrysler issues as well. This is my main concern with the mdx. I forgot the TLX shared the same tranny. I'll take a look at that. Thank you for bringing that up
THIS. We were down to the MDX and the GX in our buying decision, and when I heard about a push button tranny, a 9 speed that doesn't significantly improve MPG's over the 6 speed, and a tranny that shared with the TLX, I was basically done. We had a 2004 MDX many years ago, which was right in the middle of Honda/Acura's last round of transmission failures. Plus it's a Honda Odyssey with some more gadgets and improved styling, which lacks a bit of soul for me.

Your still in your 20's, so I'd get something that fits your personality more. Maybe that's the NX?
Old 04-02-15, 12:54 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

as others have said, you can play the what if and planning game forever.

While an NX might be cramped later on if you have two kids, you'll adjust.

If I had waited just a few more weeks on my NX, I would have seen the announcement of the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid with all the tech safety features and would have waited for that (coming from a 2002 RAV4). Do I regret the NX? Nope, because I signed and paid for it. Gotta move forward.
Old 04-02-15, 02:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I wish you luck in your decision. Now, time to throw my own little story in.

I had wanted an IS for years but they never had enough room. Then the 3rd gen came out with a substantially larger back seat, around about the same time our daughter moved up into compact enough car seat that I could finally take the plunge. I bought my '14 IS350. Pure love!

As the universe often plays tricks on us, my wife gets pregnant a few months later. So now I'm rockin' an IS with a forward facing car seat AND a large rear facing infant seat (our boy is 3 months old now). C'est la vie, I guess. If I can roll my family of 4 in the IS, you'll be fine in the NX, even if kids do come along. When my IS lease is up, I will, however, be moving up to a larger car.
Old 04-02-15, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I
As the universe often plays tricks on us, my wife gets pregnant a few months later. So now I'm rockin' an IS with a forward facing car seat AND a large rear facing infant seat (our boy is 3 months old now). C'est la vie, I guess. If I can roll my family of 4 in the IS, you'll be fine in the NX, even if kids do come along. When my IS lease is up, I will, however, be moving up to a larger car.
Yup! Thats what I'm talking about! The best laid plans...
Old 04-02-15, 03:40 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I wish you luck in your decision. Now, time to throw my own little story in.

I had wanted an IS for years but they never had enough room. Then the 3rd gen came out with a substantially larger back seat, around about the same time our daughter moved up into compact enough car seat that I could finally take the plunge. I bought my '14 IS350. Pure love!

HAHA, its hilarious how things seem to work out that way.

For the kids, I can understand that we can make 2 kids work, but then there is the matter of 2 dogs as well, that are 40ish lbs. Our girl dog is a front seat dog, so that won't change regardless what car, but our boy will be in the back seat. Thus, if there is a kids seat on each side of him, I see things becoming reckless quickly. However, in talking with my wife, we may just remove the cover in the hatch and let him sit back there if we ever become cramped. If we go on a vacation, I"ll invest in the roof rack, and put a container up there and look like a "tourist" haha.

A lot of the comments you've all made, such as "you're in your 20s, enjoy it", or "you can make it work", "don't pass up the car in looking at the future". These all mirror thoughts that I've had. I have the camaro as a long term project (I intend to addict our kids to cars with it), and I"m sure this car will work just fine with space, I just feel I want to do whats "best". Plus, I just don't want to swap cars later because the wife is on board with adding a GT-R to the stable after the NX is paid off lol One can not simply pass up godzilla

With that said though, I will continue to move forward with that NX. The car is great, I enjoy driving one when I have it, the look is stunning, and I'm sure we will find a way to make things fit. I enjoy cars that look unique and are head turners, heck, look at my camaro. I enjoy being different, and you can't beat Toyota reliablity and the treatment that Lexus provides to you.

One thing however, the only thing about the NX that I don't care for is the doors allowing dirt up in, but I'll just have to follow the DIY on the site to fix that.

I appreciate all of your input, and while I will be "confirming" in my mind over the next couple days, I'm 90% sure I shall remain a "NX owner" here soon.

And on a side note, MR2.....no way is kiddo riding in a car seat in the camaro. I actually have been looking at a rear seat delete to remove some weight from that pig lol Much to my wife's dismay lol
Old 04-02-15, 07:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Lots of wise words already mentioned.

One final thing to factor in to nudge you to 100% is the quality support and content you'll get from this great forum!
Old 04-02-15, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
One final thing to factor in to nudge you to 100% is the quality support and content you'll get from this great forum!
Which is no small thing! The Acura forums are sort of
Old 04-03-15, 01:28 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Which is no small thing! The Acura forums are sort of
Yep. I'm a member of MDXers from when we had an MDX and its boring over there.

I personally like the NX better. It's more exciting!!
Old 04-03-15, 02:19 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The NX vs MDX debate can go on for years. The forums are equal in terms of enthusiasm. The reliability of the ZF transmission is questionable but so is the reliability of a new engine family on the NX. Powertrain wise they are both similar in quirks. No engine or transmission and you have an expensive paperweight.

Similarly one can say that the Acurawatch Plus pack is much better then what lexus offers in the NX.

Lane Keep assist and detection
Adaptive Cruise (Full speed range)

Again this is hard as the price points are so similar, design vs power and space