NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Navigation Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 06:29 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Navigation Question

My wife complains of convoluted routes on the navigation system (on fastest route). She keeps using her iPad instead of the system. I've seen it and kind of agree. In my LS there is a place to set the local/main/highway speeds. Is there a similar feature in the NX?
Old 03-27-15, 06:40 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked for the speed setting and couldn't find it. I used to have it on my wife's 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid and still have it on my 2006 Toyota Prius, both with the NAV built in. I was surprised not to find it on this car, unless it is hidden and not readily accessible. I have not looked in the NAV manual yet to be honest though.
Old 03-28-15, 06:02 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think because most street speed limits are now listed on the NAV screen in the new Lexus vehicles, they've done away with it.
I think if we think about it, it's no doubt more accurate because each individual street is listed with a speed limit to make the NAV computer more accurate.

Just my guess.
Old 03-28-15, 07:12 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I'd like to know is where is the traffic information? Radio setting allows to scan stations that broadcast traffic information, but nowhere to be seen on the navy screens.
Old 03-29-15, 04:49 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
What I'd like to know is where is the traffic information? Radio setting allows to scan stations that broadcast traffic information, but nowhere to be seen on the navy screens.
I see the traffic information as colored lines (red, yellow, and green if you enable that) alongside the highway lines, along with icons that show traffic incidents, road repairs, traffic obstacles, etc. Make sure that you have this turned on in Options : Map Information : Traffic Information.
Old 03-30-15, 06:30 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have HD radio in Canada? I believe that is one of the options for traffic.

I think you can use one of the app suite programs or satellite but I don't know for sure. I'm just getting to know our NX and the HD radio traffic works so I haven't needed to dig.
Old 05-23-15, 07:31 PM
bbear
Driver School Candidate

As I remember, my dealer told me the NX in Canada doesn't include traffic
Old 05-24-15, 07:23 AM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

Right, we dont have in Canada
Old 05-27-15, 10:26 PM
doctormike
Driver School Candidate

Default Navagation and Traffic

The only true traffic GPS that is updated every 2 minutes and covers primary and secondary roads is a stand alone TomTom GPS It automatically takes you to the fastest route if desired. The lexus and for that matter all car GPS devices can't compare to the tomtom. As an added benefit you get updated maps free of charge 4 times a year You also get Red Light camera warning when approaching these units. IT will actually show you in advance when their is a delay ahead, where it starts and how long until you pass it. The tomtom Go 600 in the USA works automatically with your cell phone bluetooth for a this traffic information. I automatically connect to a tomtom app for this Bluetooth connection. Its really easy to set up. I use the car GPS really for a backup only.
Old 05-28-15, 05:16 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I tend to use Waze, which provides real-time traffic, red light camera, hazard/incident, and police-presence information, along with dynamic rerouting if a faster route is determined to exist. Waze is available for iOS, Android and Windows smartphones and tablets. Best of all it's free!
Old 05-28-15, 05:27 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The traffic on the nav is not always accurate. It may be on a 15 min delay.

This may be an area where we will learn about Lexus in the debate of profits vs. servicing the customer. They can easily upgrade the Lexus Enform apps to include Waze, Google Maps, or other traffic that is better. Sometimes though companies only make new features available to the new model years or charge $200-500 for a software update disk.
Old 05-29-15, 06:51 PM
doctormike
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav updates

I just don't know why if Tomtom can make such a wonderful driving experience as well a Garmin to some extent, why do car manufactures not get help in designing one. It has to be because of money or ego. Why not get help with one of these stand alone manufactures that would dramatically help your brand. I had a Cadillac SRX. everything was top notch except for the navagation. Way too complicated in what you had to do to reroute for traffic. Radio traffic, digital radio traffic or HD radio traffic can't possible keep up with the above brands in navigation that use millions of other cell phones links in cars and traffic along with many other sources to get real time traffic thats updated every 2 minutes . Finally the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for an update in maybe a year is horrible. Tomtom gives me free map updates 4 times per year for life. You need these updates because about 18-20 percent of the roads change in a year. Your lost without it. Sorry for me rambling but paying $2000 or more for a poorly developed navigation without updates that cost even more is really ridiculous
Old 05-29-15, 07:16 PM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

I have XM Traffic in my other car for about $43 year and it works great. No complaints about it at all. I guess I haven't had my Lexus NX long enough to compare the two.