NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Install the Enhance LED Daytime running light myself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 02:53 PM
cheukei331
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install the Enhance LED Daytime running light myself?

I am new to here, and a first time Lexus owner. I suppose to buy a used lexus, but right before I check out, I got a special offer for a base model, so I just bought a base NX200T. It has already over budget, so I do not have extra money to buy any options. Now I am thinking if I can install the enhance LED daytime running myself and the triple LED headlight? I am think the daytime driving light should be plug and play. Does anyone know about that?

Also, do any of you know is there any front under spoiler for non-F sport NX200T?

It will be a big hand for me!!!!!

Thank you very much.

I just swap out the regular DRL to the enhance one myself. There is not nay modification required, and pretty much just plug-and-play. Simply take off the bumper, replace the original one by the enhance, and then put the bumper back. They are having the same plug!!!!!!!

Last edited by cheukei331; 07-15-15 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 05:34 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DRL is a programming option, you should be able to get the dealer to set the LPS for it. Triple beam LED lights are factory option, don't think there is a cheap or easy retrofit for them.
Old 06-26-15, 06:10 PM
cheukei331
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81
DRL is a programming option, you should be able to get the dealer to set the LPS for it. Triple beam LED lights are factory option, don't think there is a cheap or easy retrofit for them.
Oh, what does LPS mean? Is that mean even I install the enhance led myself without dealer to program it, it will not be working?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Old 06-26-15, 07:42 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

LPS= Lexus Personalised Settings

Suggest you start here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...tart-here.html
Old 06-27-15, 06:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

My0gr81, I believe what he wants to do is go from the standard DRL LEDs to the Premium ones. See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8624781

cheukei331: I don't believe anyone posted yet on how to swap the standard DRLs to the premium ones and what the cost is. It's best you ask your dealer. As for the projector headlights to the triple L LEDs, a member asked and the dealer wanted $3K

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9041920

Good luck!
Old 06-27-15, 11:53 AM
Supra4100
Rookie

I'm sure it will be expensive. I would keep checking eBay. Sad to say but they will start showing up at wrecking yards. There's already a block style set for $200. If you're on a budget. The DS is the last place I'd try.
Old 06-27-15, 09:57 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
My0gr81, I believe what he wants to do is go from the standard DRL LEDs to the Premium ones. See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8624781

!
Go figure, I didn't even notice that there was different DRL's. Now that I see it, yeah the standard one looks fugly.
Old 06-29-15, 09:50 PM
BENZ2LEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Default Triple beam LED

Corrado, I like reading your posts. Thanks for sharing.
Abount my NX: I have the F-Sport trim with USB color

Just want to share my experience on this topic.

I read here that there a member buying NX thinking he has the Triple Beam LED but turned out it doesn't after leaving the dealership. He is not the only one... I am another 'careless' guy. ( I believe the sales told me it has premium LED headlights but he said I asked if it has Premium LED running lights... )

With the help from Lexus Customer Satisfaction & the sales manager, i got the discount on the Triple beam LED headlights and installation. (just under $3000) but...in the middle of installation, the service dept found out i need a pair of computer boards to work with the triple beam (another $900). Now ..... there is another BIG issue - the "headlight system malfunction" light is on. The Service Dept is still finding a solution to solve the warning light issue (as of now)

I haven't pick up my car from the dealership yet but thinking of finalize it tomorrow. Tonight i am thinking hard of either...live with the warning light with the triple beam LED, or re-install back the original single beam LED.

Any member know how to remove the warning light, please HELP! or if you guys know which dealership has successfully done this (not just the talk) Please let me know. I really like this LED headlights to willing to drop $4K but no luck...

PS: Lexus Customer Satisfaction checked and confirmed it can be done before I started this process. So I will call Lexus Customer Satisfaction again for possible solution

Last edited by BENZ2LEXUS; 06-29-15 at 11:08 PM. Reason: more details
Old 06-29-15, 11:59 PM
Supra4100
Rookie

Originally Posted by BENZ2LEXUS

I read here that there a member buying NX thinking he has the Triple Beam LED but turned out it doesn't after leaving the dealership. He is not the only one... I am another 'careless' guy. ( I believe the sales told me it has premium LED headlights but he said I asked if it has Premium LED running lights... )

With the help from Lexus Customer Satisfaction & the sales manager, i got the discount on the Triple beam LED headlights and installation. (just under $3000) but...in the middle of installation, the service dept found out i need a pair of computer boards to work with the triple beam (another $900). Now ..... there is another BIG issue - the "headlight system malfunction" light is on. The Service Dept is still finding a solution to solve the warning light issue (as of now)

I haven't pick up my car from the dealership yet but thinking of finalize it tomorrow. Tonight i am thinking hard of either...live with the warning light with the triple beam LED, or re-install back the original single beam LED.

Any member know how to remove the warning light, please HELP! or if you guys know which dealership has successfully done this (not just the talk) Please let me know. I really like this LED headlights to willing to drop $4K but no luck...

PS: Lexus Customer Satisfaction checked and confirmed it can be done before I started this process. So I will call Lexus Customer Satisfaction again for possible solution
Wow that stinks! I really wanted the triple on my USB too, but decided to take delivery now on one in stock instead of the wait til October. I'm happy I did as they were willing to work more freely with the price. Plus the single beam with the drl and fogs, still looks sexy. Hard to believe it's such a high cost add on, since it's only $1,100 if you add it while ordering the vehicle.

Good luck with a solution.
Old 06-30-15, 04:07 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a mixture of a dealership that has no idea how to properly fix the situation (which would be to give you a new car following their messup), and a person at Lexus corporate who had no idea what they were talking about.

Personally, I would pursue having them give you a different car. They sold (did you sign any papers?) you the car under false pretenses and now want to charge you an "arm and leg" to get the car you were told you purchased. Technically, this is false advertising and honestly I would consider legal options if Lexus doesn't want to make this right (only applies if you've signed papers).

As for your current situation, I would recommend going back to the single projector. A warning light only is going to drive you crazy (since you couldn't go into the ECU and turn that light off), and do you wanna really explain that to your friends and family on why your new Lexus "has a warning light on all the time"?

That's my suggestion....
Old 07-01-15, 12:15 AM
BENZ2LEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Default Triple beam LED

Hi Supra and Swacer, thanks for your comments!

Swacer, yes I am going back to the single beam...

At first I kept the Triple beam LED installed with warning light... but my wife is "very angry" when found out this warning light issue, and she will drive this vehicle most of the time.

Below is the photo before the vehicle is being driven back to the floor to have the headlights disassembled. Now a memento of 'once upon a time, my NX200t had this cool TRIPLE BEAM LED' (for 48 hours and counting now... still at dealership)

After I drove the vehicle off the dealership lot and found out it doesn't has this triple LED as told, nothing much can be done because it was all verbal communication, nothing is written. Because of myself 'carelessness' as well for not checking, I tried to not think about it but the thought just keep coming back. Finally i have to resort to this EXPENSIVE action to settle the issue/thought once and for all.

So the conclusion is: TRIPLE BEAM LED cannot be added after factory (tried by the largest Lexus dealership in the west coast) I am pretty sure the warning light can be 'forced' shut off by some genius but the warranty will then be an issue or be voided. Hope my action can help someone to avoid spending unnecessary $$$$ and suppress the thought of upgrade to this triple beam led until an aftermarket (non-OEM) part comes out.

Peace

Last edited by BENZ2LEXUS; 07-01-15 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 07-01-15, 05:39 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

BENZ2LEXUS, sorry about the "incompatibility" of the triple-beam headlights post-manufacturing. I think many of us are surprised they are so complex in their retrofit.

Congrats on your new NX and welcome to Lexus and the forum!
Old 07-15-15, 03:02 PM
cheukei331
Driver School Candidate

Hi Supra and Swacer, thanks for your comments!

Swacer, yes I am going back to the single beam...

At first I kept the Triple beam LED installed with warning light... but my wife is "very angry" when found out this warning light issue, and she will drive this vehicle most of the time.

Below is the photo before the vehicle is being driven back to the floor to have the headlights disassembled. Now a memento of 'once upon a time, my NX200t had this cool TRIPLE BEAM LED' (for 48 hours and counting now... still at dealership)

After I drove the vehicle off the dealership lot and found out it doesn't has this triple LED as told, nothing much can be done because it was all verbal communication, nothing is written. Because of myself 'carelessness' as well for not checking, I tried to not think about it but the thought just keep coming back. Finally i have to resort to this EXPENSIVE action to settle the issue/thought once and for all.

So the conclusion is: TRIPLE BEAM LED cannot be added after factory (tried by the largest Lexus dealership in the west coast) I am pretty sure the warning light can be 'forced' shut off by some genius but the warranty will then be an issue or be voided. Hope my action can help someone to avoid spending unnecessary $$$$ and suppress the thought of upgrade to this triple beam led until an aftermarket (non-OEM) part comes out.

Peace
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, BENZ2LEXUS. I may not think about to swap the headlight out then, but there is a good news for those ppl who have the normal DRL. I just swap out the regular DRL to the enhance one myself. There is not nay modification required, and pretty much just plug-and-play. Simply take off the bumper, replace the original one by the enhance, and then put the bumper back. They are having the same plug!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-15, 10:22 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cheukei331
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, BENZ2LEXUS. I may not think about to swap the headlight out then, but there is a good news for those ppl who have the normal DRL. I just swap out the regular DRL to the enhance one myself. There is not nay modification required, and pretty much just plug-and-play. Simply take off the bumper, replace the original one by the enhance, and then put the bumper back. They are having the same plug!!!!!!!
That's great, how much did that set you back?
Old 07-17-15, 06:00 PM
BENZ2LEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Hi Cheukei, I am glad to hear you could do that without any problem! I don't understand why Lexus needed to create two types of this running lights and also the headlights The new 2016 MDX and RDX just have 1 type.

Did you remove the bumper yourself? if so, that's very impressive! Would you please do a write up or just snap some photos of the areas where screws need to be removed, and other helpful tips? It will help us DIY to replace the broken headlights and running lights ourselves without going to auto shop.

Thanks!

Last edited by BENZ2LEXUS; 07-17-15 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling