Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Toyota service nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-02, 02:49 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Toyota service nightmare

I took my baby down to the Toyota dealer for it's 30,000 mile service. Toyota is located closer and quite a bit cheaper that Lexus. After the service I noticed a clunking noise from the front suspension over rough surfaces. I pulled the wheel and checked everything out and couldn't find anything. The wife drives it to work and makes a comment about knocking/dragging noise from front....which tells me somethin is definitely wrong if she hears it!
I immediately call Toyota and ask if they can look at it. They said they could but if it's a warranty item I need to take it to Lexus. So I said FINE! Drove all the way to the nearest Lexus dealer and got a Corrolla loner car (talk about downgrade...yeesh). Just got off the phone today w Lexus, it turns out it's a cracked sway bar...I'm thinkin that Toyota lifted the car on an incorrectly positioned hoist?? and accidently cracked it?? They are so lucky that Lexus is taking care of me and it is all under warranty or I'd be at Toyota right now speaking w the service manager. I think I'll be paying the Lexus service markup from now on so this never happens!!
Old 08-21-02, 03:11 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky it wasn't a TRD Sway, boy would that really suck. Glad to hear Lexus is taking care of you though. You get what you pay for, that's the bottom line.
Old 08-21-02, 04:11 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your sway bar. Needless to say, you won't be going back there again.

You get what you pay for, that's the bottom line.
it can go either way. Some people got their cars messed up at the Lexus dealer, and ended up taking it elsewhere, paying a lot less, and being happier. That's how one incompetent person at a service center can mess things up for the whole place.

But paying $50 for an oil change and $50 for a tire rotation is definitely not "you get what you pay for". It's "you get what you're being ripped off for".

Last edited by kreativ; 08-21-02 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-21-02, 06:38 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default kreativ's right- it could have gone either way...

....this web page is full of posts about Lexus dealers screwing up as well.

Paying that "premium" only "guarantees" that the owner of the dealership can afford his boat payment.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 08-21-02 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-21-02, 07:42 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Ditto guys....I guess it's a matter of finding a dealer/mechanic you can trust. Lexus service prices are pretty ridiculous. While I was at Lexus in the waiting area I overheard a conversation between the service manager and an Asian man with a thick accent. Apparently his LS400 needs a new tranny...only $4100 bucks! Ouch! Anyway, the car has 130,000 miles on it and the tranny was never serviced. The guy brought it in for services but Lexus failed to tell him about tranny service (so he said). The service manager basically told him unless you bring it in every 5,000 miles there is no way Lexus could have forseen the tranny failure. I didn't hear what the manager's response was to Lexus not notifying him about tranny service.....

SO for all those people who just add tranny fluid when needed: Take heed!
Old 08-23-02, 02:13 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

GS430lvr
Just curiouse, did the Lexus dealership confirm that the toyota tech damaged the sway bar???? Good thing the dealership is going above and beyond to help you out.

With regard to people constantly complaining about dealership prices. There is no secret our prices are higher. Mainly due to such high overhead costs. I can't speak for every dealer, But I'd like to think we go the extra mile for our customers. Loaner cars, state of the art shop, professional and safe work enviorment, and all those krispy kreme donuts (yum). If you don't believe me, ask Manaray, Ethan, Loxogood, lex400sc, and others. I've worked on all their cars.

But I still give a salute to the do-it-yourselfers. I can certainly understand the feeling of self accomplishment when fixing something yourself. Or doing your own service.

But the next time your at the dealership for service, walk back and talk to the guy working on your car. If you like him ask for him again. He'll probably do alot more for you for less once you get to know him.

But again, I can't speak for other dealers.

DD

Last edited by DevilDog; 08-23-02 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-23-02, 02:19 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Just got the GS back today...my service guy mis-quoted the mechanic: the sway wasn't cracked, it was the mounting brackets. I still think that when Toyota had it up on their hoist, it loosened or cracked the bracket...I'm surprised they missed it. Lexus says there's no way to tell if Toyota is responsible...couldn't see any scuffing from a hoist or anything.

Peace
Old 08-23-02, 02:22 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GS430lvr
Just got the GS back today...my service guy mis-quoted the mechanic: the sway wasn't cracked, it was the mounting brackets. I still think that when Toyota had it up on their hoist, it loosened or cracked the bracket...I'm surprised they missed it. Lexus says there's no way to tell if Toyota is responsible...couldn't see any scuffing from a hoist or anything.

Peace
I've seen those brackets come loose before! Many times, both GS300 and GS430. The 2002 models are being torqued much tighter at the factory now. Glad to see your all fixed up now!

DD