RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Toyota or Lexus? Seeking Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 09:25 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota or Lexus? Seeking Service

Many report here they turn to Toyota dealerships for service and better pricing.

How comfortable are you with Toyota Service Centers for scheduled maintenance, and
can they do Lexus warranty work on our RX?

One reason for asking is I have a Toyota dealership closer to my house then Lexus dealership.

Cheers!
Old 02-05-12, 09:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Toyota dealerships will generally work on Lexus. But, I know in the past people have reported that the Toyota dealership refused to do anything. < that's unlikely though, they want money, and you have money. LOL

I wouldn't go to any dealership, but If I'm forced to then the Toyota dealership. But, it depends on for what type of work. Maintenance is fine, but something specific like electrical I would give it to Lexus.

I feel like I'm going to have to visit a Lexus dealership, because my keyless entry isn't working. And, it's a complicated system, which I don't think Toyota will know how to diagnose.
Old 02-05-12, 09:41 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm very comfortable with my Toyota Service Advisor since we have owned a lot of Toyota. Currently, my wife drives a 2011 Prius IV.
i don't see any problem bringing your Lexus to a Toyota Service Center for scheduled maintenance or minor repair.
as soon as the complimentary service appointment ran out from my Lexus, i bring it to my Toyota service center for the change oil, filter change, rotation of tires etc.

if you're still within warranty, go to a Lexus service center.
bottomline is, you can save but not that much.. typical oil change comparing a Lexus vs a Toyota service center will save you.. at most $30.
But for major repairs, i suggest driving to a Lexus, so just in case you need a "loaner", you will get an RX or any Lexus on the lot.
Old 02-05-12, 09:47 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by markrivers
as soon as the complimentary service appointment ran out from my Lexus, i bring it to my Toyota service center for the change oil, filter change, rotation of tires etc.

if you're still within warranty, go to a Lexus service center.

Yes sir, this will be my intentions down the road after my complimentary service agreement .

Now to find a Toyota dealership I can trust............
Old 02-05-12, 10:14 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Yes sir, this will be my intentions down the road after my complimentary service agreement .

Now to find a Toyota dealership I can trust............
i'm biased with my Toyota dealership here in South California.
i've known the service advisor longer than my Lexus SA
he can squeeze me in his schedule, everytime i need an appointment same day.
So i guess that played a huge role in why i kept going back to this dealership/service bay.

and he goes above and beyond just to make us happy.
There was a time when the wife's brand new Prius lost one of those tire covers on I-5,
i asked him if he has a spare or a floor model. ( you can only buy a set of 4 covers for $44).
Lo and behold, he has one the next day and it was FREE.

it's all about the small things.
Old 02-05-12, 10:28 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

After my complimentary service is done I will be going to my local me hanoc for regular maintenance and track it via the drivers website. I kept all the svc recs from my ES when I took it to him and had no issues ever on warranty work from the dealer. My SA even advised me to save the hourly Lexus rate this way since as long as you have the history documented theycannot argue any work. Some folks do, however, like the security of the dealer having all the history of svc on their puter
Old 02-05-12, 10:35 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Some folks do, however, like the security of the dealer having all the history of svc on their puter
Which brings up another question:

Does Toyota and Lexus use the same maintenance computer for services done???
Old 02-05-12, 10:57 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

i don't think so.
Old 02-05-12, 12:26 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You have to log on yourself and list the service an invoice number wih date.
Old 02-05-12, 01:18 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Toyota dealerships will generally work on Lexus. But, I know in the past people have reported that the Toyota dealership refused to do anything. < that's unlikely though, they want money, and you have money. LOL

I wouldn't go to any dealership, but If I'm forced to then the Toyota dealership. But, it depends on for what type of work. Maintenance is fine, but something specific like electrical I would give it to Lexus.

I feel like I'm going to have to visit a Lexus dealership, because my keyless entry isn't working. And, it's a complicated system, which I don't think Toyota will know how to diagnose.
I'd suspect the keyless entry system is likely the same one used on many Toyota or Lexus vehicles, and a Toyota dealer wouldn't have any problem diagnosing it. A lot of Lexus owners seem to forget that their vehicle is made by Toyota. Take my RX for example - if I look at the underside of my side view mirror housing it's proudly stamped TOYOTA.
Old 02-05-12, 01:20 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't think that's the case, the highlander wasn't around when the RX300 was made. They have different part #'s for receivers and such. The remotes are different as well. For example, the toyota dealership can't change C-Best settings. As they don't have the equipment necessary, it's the same deal with the security system. Lexus doesn't release much information about codes and such, they only give diagnostic equipment to dealerships. The security system is probably the only thing that's different between Lexus and Toyota. The Lexus has a rolling code system, that continuously changes the code.I agree that a lot of things are the same, and that mostly everything is stamped Toyota. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-05-12, 01:28 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

True, but isn't the 300 based on the Camry? I don't know for sure..just musing. When it comes to different part #s, the number might be different but the part is the same. For example, hitch for Highlander and RX330 have different part #s but the part is the same.
Old 02-06-12, 05:13 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rcy
True, but isn't the 300 based on the Camry? I don't know for sure..just musing. When it comes to different part #s, the number might be different but the part is the same. For example, hitch for Highlander and RX330 have different part #s but the part is the same.
+ 1
my friend who's a do it yourself guy buys from a " Toyota Service Dept" whenever he changes his oil on his RX 350.
Old 02-09-12, 08:48 AM
gladiator9
Driver

Default Going to the Toyota dealer !

I recently went to the Toyota dealer for a 30,000 mile service and they changed the oil and filter and rotated the tires, also completed an inspection of all the necesary items for $89.00.
The same service at Lexus would be over $400.00 I changed the air filter and cabin air filter myself. Also I changed the battery in my key remotes. The lounge at Toyota is not as fancy but the savings were very nice.
Jim
Old 02-09-12, 12:51 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gladiator9
I recently went to the Toyota dealer for a 30,000 mile service and they changed the oil and filter and rotated the tires, also completed an inspection of all the necesary items for $89.00.
The same service at Lexus would be over $400.00 I changed the air filter and cabin air filter myself. Also I changed the battery in my key remotes. The lounge at Toyota is not as fancy but the savings were very nice.
Jim
You didn't list the brake fluid. I had mine done by Toyota as well and they replaced the brake fluid as well which is a required (by Lexus) service at 30k. If you use Toyota, you should break out the maintenance manual and have them do at least what it requires.

Quick Reply: Toyota or Lexus? Seeking Service