Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

15K Service - Transmission change necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-02, 05:56 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15K Service - Transmission change necessary?

Hi!

I have an RX300 and a GS300 that both need 15K service. The dealer wants $360 per car. WTF???? Is that normal?

The RX I did the dealer thing since they were gonna replace all my brakes and do a creaking sound on the Sunroof but My GS is pretty clean so I just took it somewhere else to get an oil change.

Anything else I'm missing out on? I checked what they did for the RX and 50% was checking stuff (battery terminal, exhaust) and only 30% actual work I need (oil change, transmisison fluid change) and 20% work I didnt' need (rotate and balance tires (can't rotate my directional different offsetted wheels).

So, this leaves me with engine coolant and transmission fluid change. Are these Absolutely necessary?

Please help

Thanks
Old 04-09-02, 06:34 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

absoutly NOT. at 15k miles you dont need a gad damm thing done to your car except a oil change, and you can do that yourself, or buy your own mobil one synthetic oil, and take the car to jiffy lube. if something does go wrong with your car,its still under warrenty, if you pay them $360 to check stuff and they find something wrong, it's fixed under warrenty, so tell me what is the reason to pay them $360.
clive.
Old 04-09-02, 07:30 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if in So.Cal, I ABSOLUTELY recommend you to go to Longo Lexus and ask for VERONE PANGILINAN. He's a very nice guy who can help you with your service stuff. And the cost will be totally lower than the 360 that's quoted.
Old 04-10-02, 12:10 AM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Originally posted by clivej
absoutly NOT. at 15k miles you dont need a gad damm thing done to your car except a oil change, and you can do that yourself, or buy your own mobil one synthetic oil, and take the car to jiffy lube. if something does go wrong with your car,its still under warrenty, if you pay them $360 to check stuff and they find something wrong, it's fixed under warrenty, so tell me what is the reason to pay them $360.
clive.
I beg to differ, if you look at the service periods its recomended to change trans fluid @ 15,000 miles and flush @ 30,000 miles. The reason for this is that the GS 400 as far as I know does not have a trans filter, this is the reason for the change of fluid. When I had my TC installed I watched the whole process done and I didn't recall seening any filter when the guy dropped the trans pan to drain the fluid.
Well its up to you if you want to change the fluid but if it was me I would seening that $ 50,000 is a lot of money to just neglect.
Its going to take about 2 1/2 gals. of Type T IV fluid for the change. Oh yeah, it runs about $ 30.00 a gal.

Aloha
Old 04-10-02, 01:06 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Longo's 15K is $215. Not sure if that includes trans. fluid flush and refill though, as this is the first time i've heard of a Lexus needing a trans. fluid change so soon.

the 15K for an '02 ES is basically just an oil change, A/C filter change if necessary, and tire rotation. Which should run me $30 total if I'm not feeling too lazy to do the oil change myself.

I guess I could pay Lexus another $200 for them to glance around the car and tell me everything's okay, but they'll do that for me anyways during just an oil change. After all, if they find something wrong, it only means more $$$$ for them.
Old 04-10-02, 01:50 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Tranny Filter

IG - They didn't need to remove the tranny filter so that's probably why U didn't see it. It's just a simple mesh element that U can clean yourself if ya drop the pan ( although that's not necessary just to drain/refill the tranny as the GS has a drain plug ). In fact, that's all they do for the required service because they believe that if U need to change or replace the filter because of blockage then U have more serious problems within the transmission! :eek: ). Still, I change my fluid at 15k intervals & drop the pan at 30k just to be cautious; after all, the T/C does generate extra heat, even with the auxillary cooler I added ). And before we jump off into the next "usual" question, I think that the Lexus ATF fluid is fine as does Mo - besides, I don't think anyone has a synthetic ATF for the Toyota/Lexus marquee unless Ron found out some more from Redline?
NV - The factory long life coolant is designed to last 100k but I'd still change it more frequently ( at least at 50k but I'm Type A & change at 30K ). I know that it's probably NOT necessary to shorten the drain intervals that much but I'm still old school & agree with It's about protecting a $50k+ car.
Old 04-10-02, 02:08 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Wow I didn't know that dealers could be so far off. My dealer is Jim Falk of Bev Hills (okie okie, they sound expensive already) but well, I figured all dealers had some sort of guideline on pricing and won't stray too far away..But man, $215 and $360 is a BIIIIG difference.

Originally posted by kreativ
Longo's 15K is $215. Not sure if that includes trans. fluid flush and refill though, as this is the first time i've heard of a Lexus needing a trans. fluid change so soon.

the 15K for an '02 ES is basically just an oil change, A/C filter change if necessary, and tire rotation. Which should run me $30 total if I'm not feeling too lazy to do the oil change myself.

I guess I could pay Lexus another $200 for them to glance around the car and tell me everything's okay, but they'll do that for me anyways during just an oil change. After all, if they find something wrong, it only means more $$$$ for them.