Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oils Filters??? What Brand do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 11:51 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OEM Toyota, Wix, Purolator are always good...
Old 09-19-06, 06:37 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
"LTVibe, Their is no such thing as a one manufacture Toyota Filter. The dealers get fitlers from all over the world. Toyota filter design and nomenclature is very very confuseing. It is a can of worms you really do not want to open unless you are truly comitted as it will confuse 98% of the board. To make matters worse each country that has a Denso filter company has some variation of the many Toyota filters.

Here in the USA it used to be Puro/Denso but denso bought out Purolators portion of the plant. The USA made Denso look nothing like the one cut open and detailed in this post. The USA made Denso's look like a Puraltor andhave the oval inlet holes and do not have the over torque protection. The 90915-YZZA1 pictured above is a Thailand knock off of the Japanesse filter 90915-YZZZ1. The Japanesse filter has even more of the exotic fiberglass like Toyota media(about 30% more), has a plastic center like a Chapion Ecore with long slits instead of holes but it is yellow in color and it does not have a bypass valve if my memory is correct. The Japanesse made ones are hard to come buy and cost a lot more.

Some of the Toyota filters available in the USA have a conventional media and design just like what you would expect to find in a Puralator but they have the Toyota end plate, over torque protection and shrink wraped and pre luped with silicone grease.

I am not trying to confuse you but last I checked their were at least 6 different versions of oil filters on the market sold by Toyota dealers as geniune oem Toyota/Denso oil filter for my application in a red and white box. It just depends if it was made in japan,Thailand,Brasil,China etc.... and wich version it is from that plant etc......"

This is BS, the Toyota filters are all made to Toyota spec., only filter I have and would use on my Toyota's Lexus. Never had a problem in over 20++ years of Toyota ownership, doing Toyota recommended OCI's with both quality dino and synthetic oils.
Old 09-19-06, 07:57 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Baldwin or Napa Gold.
Old 09-19-06, 08:59 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
This is BS, the Toyota filters are all made to Toyota spec., only filter I have and would use on my Toyota's Lexus. Never had a problem in over 20++ years of Toyota ownership, doing Toyota recommended OCI's with both quality dino and synthetic oils.
What is Toyota's spec anyway. Please save the "because it is Toyota branded, so it must satisfy Toyota's spec" circular argument. any support evidence such as they have the same filtration effeciency or having the bypass valve design
If you ever cut open different Toyota filters, you will see the filter material and designs are different. Here is one link that shows they are different
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ter/index.html
Old 09-19-06, 09:37 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO-LS400
What type of filter do you use?

I usually buy what is on sale usually Purolater, Fram or Bosch.
Being that I change my oil every 3k does it really matter all that much what filter you use? Any thoughts??
Are there any brands I should avoid, Many people tell me not to use Fram?

Dazed and confused--
Every 3,000 miles....eh, use any filter but Fram. I am with TunedRx, I choose flow over filtration so I'll be using K&N but for 3k miles, shoot I'd buy Supertech from Walmart for $1.50
Old 09-20-06, 12:11 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
What is Toyota's spec anyway. Please save the "because it is Toyota branded, so it must satisfy Toyota's spec" circular argument. any support evidence such as they have the same filtration effeciency or having the bypass valve design
If you ever cut open different Toyota filters, you will see the filter material and designs are different. Here is one link that shows they are different
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ter/index.html

What's your point? Different filters for different cars and engines. Just because the Lexus filter fits on the Supra doesn't make the Toyota Supra filter not up to the job of filtering the oil for the recommended oil change interval.
Old 09-20-06, 12:55 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

What's your point? Different filters for different cars and engines. Just because the Lexus filter fits on the Supra doesn't make the Toyota Supra filter not up to the job of filtering the oil for the recommended oil change interval.
First, there is no Lexus oil filter, there is only Toyota filter.
Second, I suggest you to check your assumption "Different filters for different cars and engines." Here is one way
www.irontoad.com
2000 GS300 OEM oil filter part # is 90915-YZZD1, it is the same oil filter used in 2000 RX300. But RX's 1mzfe is not the same engine as GS's 2jzge
This is ONE example of one Toyota filter that is used by multiple engines.

Third, let me ask again since you made the statement "Toyota filters are all made to Toyota spec", what is Toyota's filteration and bypass valve pressure spec?
Old 09-20-06, 01:44 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

First, there is no Lexus oil filter, there is only Toyota filter.
Second, I suggest you to check your assumption "Different filters for different cars and engines." Here is one way
www.irontoad.com
2000 GS300 OEM oil filter part # is 90915-YZZD1, it is the same oil filter used in 2000 RX300. But RX's 1mzfe is not the same engine as GS's 2jzge
This is ONE example of one Toyota filter that is used by multiple engines.

Third, let me ask again since you made the statement "Toyota filters are all made to Toyota spec", what is Toyota's filteration and bypass valve pressure spec?
Who cares as long as it is spec'ed by Toyota/Lexus for your engine. If you use a good quality oil that meets Toyota/Lexus recommendations and use a Toyota oil filter and change the oil based on Toyota/Lexus recommendation your engine will last hundreds of thousand miles, way beyond most peoples ownership goals. That is why I always get such a kick out of these filter/oil threads. You don't need synthetic oil or high dollar filters to have a Lexus last longer then you would want to own it. So who cares what is Toyota's filtration and bypass valve pressure spec? It is what it needs to be for the engine that they designed. Mobil and K&N didn't design the engine, they designed a filter based on Toyota spec's (you hope), why wouldn't you use a filter that has the engine manufactures name on it and is sold by the engine manufacture for your engine at the engine manufactures dealerships "TOYOTA" "LEXUS". Logic is sometimes not as much fun but it often gives you the results you need.
Old 09-20-06, 02:18 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Just because you don't care, it does not mean others don't. This is a forum, and everyone has his/her own opinion and rightly so. But you have made assumptions that turned out to be wrong and call another member's post "BS" yet have not provided any data.
Old 09-20-06, 03:07 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Just because you don't care, it does not mean others don't. This is a forum, and everyone has his/her own opinion and rightly so. But you have made assumptions that turned out to be wrong and call another member's post "BS" yet have not provided any data.
Trust me after reading 3000 posts on oil and filters most people get to the point that they don't care anymore and come to the conclusion that using Toyota parts and a good quality oil is good enough. I don't have a problem with people doing whatever they want with their own money I'm just saying it is BS to "suggest" that any Toyota filter that is made to work on your vehicle is anything other then OK for your car and will do the job it was made to do. You can cut open all of the filters you want and it doesn't prove anything.
Old 09-20-06, 04:00 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Trust me after reading 3000 posts on oil and filters most people get to the point that they don't care anymore and come to the conclusion that using Toyota parts and a good quality oil is good enough. I don't have a problem with people doing whatever they want with their own money I'm just saying it is BS to "suggest" that any Toyota filter that is made to work on your vehicle is anything other then OK for your car and will do the job it was made to do. You can cut open all of the filters you want and it doesn't prove anything.
I am just speaking for myself: one can wave Toyota and Lexus flag all day long but without data that opinion is just an opinion, not a fact. Not everyone likes to find out about fact, but not everyone is brainwashed by brand also.