Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Certified cars Maintance question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 09:36 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Certified cars Maintance question

I just bought a 2003 SC430 with 11K miles on it. It is a Certified vehicle so it comes with 3 years and/or 100K miles of bumper to bumper Lexus warranty coverage. When you look at the Lexus book it states that you should change the antifreeze and brake fluid at 30K or 24 months. Well it only has 11K miles on it but it is 3 years old, so based on the Lexus service recommendations it should have these two items changed. I questioned the service advisor and he said that my car was serviced when it was certified and if they needed to be changed they would of been and I am good to go until 30K miles, so they will change them then. I'm not personally worried since I have the certified warranty and will have the selling dealer do all the service at the indicated intervals. Plus I never own any vehicles more then 3 years so I will always be covered by the warranty. I just don't get it??? Wouldn't Lexus void warranty coverage if you bought this vehicle new and after 3 years and only 11K miles you had a problem relating to the antifreeze that effected the cooling system? Wouldn't Lexus tell you that you should of changed your antifreeze at the 24 month interval so the repair is on you? What am I missing here? Does the time interval not really mean anything??
Old 08-15-06, 12:58 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I won't comment on what a Lexus dealer would think or do about the warranty. But, from a technical point of view, I think that the 24 month interval would be applicable to changing brake fluid and antifreeze. I think the owners manual probably says whichever comes first, but I go by the age when it comes to these two fluids myself.
Old 08-15-06, 06:53 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

First, your car is much closer to 4 years than 3 buddy; mine is an '04 and it's almost 3 years old. And for age, build date is the one to watch.
Now, brake fluid does absorb moisture, but coolant doesn't. Most coolants last 5 years or 100K miles, so there's nothing to worry about.
As for brake fluid, I religiously change it in my cars and bikes every 2 years regardless of mileage (sooner on my servo assisted BMW bike), except on my Lexus vehicles. Fluid is still clear as new on my SC, and has been the same case in all my Lexus cars. Will replace it at the 3-yr mark just in case, but I was told moisture absorption turns the fluid dark. Maybe not. It's also so easy to do that it's better to err on the side of caution. The biggest hurdle on my car is how to access the caliper valves. Will probably use the stock jack to jack up each wheel individually and crawl under there.
Back to your issue. I'd definitely press for evidence of that service and see what happens. Good luck.
Old 08-15-06, 10:26 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
First, your car is much closer to 4 years than 3 buddy; mine is an '04 and it's almost 3 years old. And for age, build date is the one to watch.
Now, brake fluid does absorb moisture, but coolant doesn't. Most coolants last 5 years or 100K miles, so there's nothing to worry about.
As for brake fluid, I religiously change it in my cars and bikes every 2 years regardless of mileage (sooner on my servo assisted BMW bike), except on my Lexus vehicles. Fluid is still clear as new on my SC, and has been the same case in all my Lexus cars. Will replace it at the 3-yr mark just in case, but I was told moisture absorption turns the fluid dark. Maybe not. It's also so easy to do that it's better to err on the side of caution. The biggest hurdle on my car is how to access the caliper valves. Will probably use the stock jack to jack up each wheel individually and crawl under there.
Back to your issue. I'd definitely press for evidence of that service and see what happens. Good luck.
Mine is a May 2003 build date and a July 2003 delivery date, so it is around 3 years old. Talked with the service advisor today and he said on my certified car everything that was needed to bring it up to current maintenance was done. Guess its a moot point since it will be covered by the Lexus CPO for the time that I will own it.
Old 08-16-06, 10:14 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd ask for what was done, so you know. I bet nothing.
They're right that nothing will happen to the car, but if coolant and brake fluid were not replaced, you might want to do that yourself in the near future.
So you got one of the late '03s then. My '04 has build date of Sep 03, and I took delivery of it (off the truck) on Oct 3rd, 2003. Not far off yours.
Take care, and enjoy it.