LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

60 k service question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 09:39 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60 k service question

Hello...

I am fast approaching the 60k mile c/u and my husband and myself are in a disagreement over where to take my lx 470. He says the local Toyota dealership (which is two miles from our house) can do the exact same work since they are the same car as the Landcruiser. The Toyota dealership wants $590 and the Lexus dealer wants $850. We are a good 45 min from the Lexus dealer but my contention is that there are parts on the 470 that the Landcruiser does not have and I am afraid they will get overlooked. Does anyone know if the Landcruiser has (active height control suspension fluid, charcoal canister???, ) These are not listed in the Toyota manual for 60k service as well as a few other things that do not sound as major. I have only had the car for two months, but all other services were performed as well as regular oil changes. Any input or similar experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-07-03, 11:31 AM
bhowe
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Having owned an FJ62, 80 and a 100 (and currently a 470) I can tell you other than checking (topping off if necessary) the active height control (the FJ100 uses traditional coil spring vs LX's gas shocks) the 60K service is the same for both vehicles.
Exceptions (silly stuff that more than likeley is not an issue):
Toyota won't have the background with the power tilt wheel other than it works or otherwise
Lo Beam inspection - the 100 uses 9006, the LX an H1
Radios are different
Instrument Cluster is as well

IMO the difference is that ON AVERAGE Toyota dealerships offer some of the poorest customer service/quality of work whereas Lexus is among the very very best. As an example, how long will they drain the oil before refill to insure getting as much of the old stuff out, ditto for tranny fluid, diffs,brake fluid and X-fer case. Care taken during the service, i.e. will your truck's interior be as you dropped it off, or will mechanics finger/hand prints be everywhere. Will they wash and vacuum, will they do a no charge vehicle inspection inspection and new sticker (if your state requires), provide you with a loaner car. I'd ask a few friends that have Toyota's how their service has been, then make your decision.

Good luck,

Bill
Old 05-09-03, 12:51 PM
idsrvit
Driver

Thanks Bill, I appreciate you time.
Old 05-10-03, 06:01 AM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Go to Lexus, not only is their customer service better, but IMHO they won't try to take you for those extra couple of items. Yes the fluid for the active height control is special, and any old fluid wont work.

If someone is going to buy a Lexus, my thoughts are take it to the Lexus experts everytime. If you invested all that money into the car then $200 more is a minimal cost to protect your investment.
Old 05-11-03, 09:24 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick with your Lexus dealership. Toyota service reps are just as bad as the ones at the local Ford dealerships here in Austin. They'll nickle and dime you to death. Plus, my service writer is so nice that she gives me a loaner car even if my SC is going to be in the shop for less than 2 hours. You won't find that at your local Toyota dealership! Lexus has me as a customer for life simply based on the fact that they treat you like a king (or queen for the ladies) everytime you pull into the service bay. Plus, that free car wash and interior vacuum is fantastic. I especially appreciate their sincerity of keeping me satisfied as they wash my car IN THE RAIN, just to make sure that my chrome wheels are at least shining as my car is pulled around to the front. It just doesn't get any better than this!

Good luck!