IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

60k Service Advice at Toyota???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 03:08 PM
wallaceb
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 60k Service Advice at Toyota???

My 08 IS250 AWD is over 60k and needs the service done. I have done the other work at the 5k intervals at Lexus.

They want almost $1000 for this service to do a lot of work.

Does anyone have any experience with having this done at Toyota? I need to get plugs done and brake fluid replaced. Oil change, rotation, etc. I think my local Toyota dealer would do all of this for around $500.

Will this service at Toyota show up on my Lexus service record?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-12, 03:41 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To my knowledge - I don't believe servicing your car at a Toyota dealership would show up on the Lexus service records. It's almost like going to an indy, except you have the added benefit of Toyota parts + trained technicians. I just bought my 60K maintenance kit from Sewell and took it to my trusted independent mechanic and recorded it myself/kept the receipt.
Old 12-20-12, 04:42 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i went to my mech and had him chg oil, plugs (i bought them from lexus on line) and brake fluid. that was my so called 60k. i then went to the lexus driver side and entered the info my self. unless you are planning on selling your car soon, i wouldn't worry it too much. stay away from the dealer.
Old 12-20-12, 05:21 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

All things being equal, if someone is looking for a used Lexus. The one with the clean Lexus service history will always win. You may want to keep that in mind when choosing to save a few $ on servicing.
Old 12-20-12, 08:31 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Advice = Grab your ankles
Old 12-20-12, 10:26 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the service at toyota isnt going to show up on lexus' database. but all you have to do is just keep your receipts that say youre 60k service was done. its mainly oil change, tire rotation, air filter, cabin air filter, brake fluid flush and spark plugs. do what carlos did, enter it yourself or after its done take the recepit to lexus and say hey i did the 60k, can you enter it into your database. they should be able to open an FIO op code and say 60k service completed at toyota dealership or something
Old 12-21-12, 04:26 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps it's a little different in Canada; all of my service done at Toyota shows up on my Lexus profile.
Old 12-21-12, 06:24 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uda880
To my knowledge - I don't believe servicing your car at a Toyota dealership would show up on the Lexus service records. It's almost like going to an indy, except you have the added benefit of Toyota parts + trained technicians. I just bought my 60K maintenance kit from Sewell and took it to my trusted independent mechanic and recorded it myself/kept the receipt.
Originally Posted by panda08
the service at toyota isnt going to show up on lexus' database. but all you have to do is just keep your receipts that say youre 60k service was done. its mainly oil change, tire rotation, air filter, cabin air filter, brake fluid flush and spark plugs. do what carlos did, enter it yourself or after its done take the recepit to lexus and say hey i did the 60k, can you enter it into your database. they should be able to open an FIO op code and say 60k service completed at toyota dealership or something
FALSE

Any service done at a Toyota dealership will show up on your history just as if it had been at Lexus. How do I know? I work at Toyota, and service customer's Lexus as well as mine many times.
Old 12-21-12, 06:26 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wallaceb
My 08 IS250 AWD is over 60k and needs the service done. I have done the other work at the 5k intervals at Lexus.

They want almost $1000 for this service to do a lot of work.

Does anyone have any experience with having this done at Toyota? I need to get plugs done and brake fluid replaced. Oil change, rotation, etc. I think my local Toyota dealer would do all of this for around $500.

Will this service at Toyota show up on my Lexus service record?

Thanks!
Never go in and ask for a '60k service'. You need oil/filter, spark plugs, brake flush, tire rotation. So go in and ask them to do those services ONLY. The package price is always overpriced, it's a gimmick because most of the junk in the package is 'inspection'.
Old 12-21-12, 07:34 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
FALSE

Any service done at a Toyota dealership will show up on your history just as if it had been at Lexus. How do I know? I work at Toyota, and service customer's Lexus as well as mine many times.
Confirmed had my wifes 250 tps replaces at toyota dealer (same part number) showed up when I logged into lexus service network it was there!
Old 12-21-12, 10:57 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep I can also confirm that service done at a Toyota dealership will show in the Lexus database. The previous owner of my car did his service at Toyota, and the first owner did his services at Lexus.
Old 12-21-12, 11:14 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are probably better off going to the Toyota dealership for the 60k service. The spark plugs probably make up the majority of that $1k price. That sounds about right for the 60k service at the dealer though. Just paying for the individual services that actually need to be done should work out cheaper tho. If you just ask for the "60k service" they are tacking on $$$ for inspections and stuff as well that you don't really need.
Old 12-21-12, 02:03 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that you are in Illinois. FYI - McGrath Lexus in Westmont charges around $300 total to do the plugs, you might want to check them out.
Old 12-22-12, 05:42 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Yeah my dealer qouted me 330.00 with plugs and a brand new loaner for the day. Cant beat that, FYI the price is more then for my F! I guess its more work on a 250 then the F with pulling he intake manifold.
Old 12-22-12, 08:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Yep I can also confirm that service done at a Toyota dealership will show in the Lexus database. The previous owner of my car did his service at Toyota, and the first owner did his services at Lexus.
But--if you keep all your paperwork, what does it matter what "data base" it's in? I now do all routine work at a local shop at my office; reasonable prices and knowledgable staff. Always at least one Corvette, Viper, or Lotus there...

Save yourself a lot of money.

Quick Reply: 60k Service Advice at Toyota???