LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Issue installing HID kit, bulbs don't fit thru housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 10:38 AM
lexi4darin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue installing HID kit, bulbs don't fit thru housing

Hey guys,

I need help or ideas from you guys, especially those who have already installed HID kits. I've got an XD HID kit for both my headlights and fogs. I attempted to install the headlights this last weekend but I couldn't fit the bulbs into the headlight housing. The fitment isn't tight. It isn't reallly tight. It's simply too small.

I was aware of having to drill the back of the headlight cover (the plastic piece that prevents water/dust from entering the headlight assembly) but I wasnt aware of having to drill out the actual metal part of the headlight housing that seats the bulb.

The helpful project details:

-2000 LX470 with OEM front headlamps (the standard Lexus projector style)
-Ordered and confirmed I received H1 bulbs from XD (and H3's for the fogs)
-Have tried fitting the bulbs into both Pas and Drv side headlight housings (I'm certain that something is off at least by a full millimeter or more)
-Used a titanium drill bit to shave down the headlight housing that seats the bulbs to ensure there wasn't a factory blemish that made the openning a bit too small (a dremel would have been the easier tool to use)

2 pics below showing how the bulbs can fit thru the housing opening however the back of the bulb will not seat properly because the bulb is no longer aligned
1 pic shows the back of the bulb simply doesn't thru the openning when it is aligned to seat properly in the housing
Attached Thumbnails Issue installing HID kit, bulbs don't fit thru housing-imag0105.jpg   Issue installing HID kit, bulbs don't fit thru housing-imag0104.jpg   Issue installing HID kit, bulbs don't fit thru housing-imag0106-1.jpg  

Last edited by lexi4darin; 10-27-10 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 08:52 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

IIRC, mine were a very tight fit. You could try lightly filing the opening. I didn't have to do this, but managed to coerce them in. Make sure you wipe the glass on the bulbs w/ rubbing alcohol to remove an residue before installation.
Old 10-28-10, 09:35 AM
lexi4darin
Driver

Jim,

Notice in my pics above that I have shown the bulb to be going into the housing 2 different ways. Which way did you try?

In the first pics, I use the nub opening on the headlight housing to allow the metal rod on the bulb to fit thru. This works great except that the plastic backing of the bulb won't sit flush on the headlight housing. I think grinding off a nub on the plastic bulb backing will allow a nice flush fitment.

The other pic (the last one above) shows the bulb going in how it "should" go in to the housing but the bulb is at least 1mm, maybe even 2mm, too big. If I install the bulb in this way, the bulb plastic backing will be fine but I'll have to open up the headlight opening with a drill bit.

The first seems easier to do but then I'm not sure the bulb is seated as intended. Not sure how anyone does this install in less than an hour or two.
Old 11-07-10, 12:09 PM
krye
Rookie

I had the same issue, insert the post thru the wide opening, then once its 95% of the way in you can turn the bulb and align properly
Old 11-07-10, 07:43 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I did it the first (and most obvious) way. IIRC, I didn't have to do anything special to get it to fit other than the glass of the bulb was lightly scraping as it was inserted into the lamp. I don't drive the LX often at night, but 4.5 yrs later, the HIDs still work, and that includes some offroading at night.
Old 11-13-10, 08:51 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Sorry for the late reply, but I also installed it based on your first picture. I don't recall it being too difficult to fit. I had issues with the harness, but the bulbs went in easy from what I remember.
Old 11-21-10, 01:14 PM
SerasLibre
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to use a dremel tool to slightly englarge the opening on my headlight. I think these bulbs are not made to spec perfectly, so we all might have slightly different installation experiences. I also had to grind off the plastic bumps on the bulb base, along with a piece of the housing the bulb sits on - because they would not let the bulb sit flat.
Old 12-21-11, 03:29 PM
00N8
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue as lexi4darin. Lexi4darin, what did you end up trying? My rig is at the shop getting some deferred maintenence done, once it gets back I'm going to try what krye suggested.

What bulbs did everyone use? I got the 3Five Morimoto Ballasts and 3Five H1 bulbs for $150 from blackflamecustoms.com.
Old 12-26-11, 05:17 AM
krye
Rookie

You may want to use a small round file to open up the hole. Sometimes called jewlers files, or a larger round file.
Old 01-02-12, 07:48 AM
00N8
Driver School Candidate

I ended up taking the housings off the truck completely and bringing them inside. Once I was able to look at the bulb openings a little better I was able to fit the bulbs in without much issue. Appearantly the Morimoto bulbs are smaller than the Phillips and will fit without modification. At least mind did. I had to turn the bulb 90 degrees and stick it in so the cutout on the base of the bulb didn't sit cockeyed on the housing.