LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus Factory Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 03:28 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Factory Warranty Question

Has anyone ever been denied work from a Lexus dealer after you purchased the Factory Extended Warranty saying is had pre-existing conditions. Taking mind in Thursday and needed an answer,

Jarm
Old 03-30-15, 05:26 PM
Nospinzone

Received 408 Likes on 316 Posts

I don't think it works like health insurance. I don't ever recall reading that situation on this forum..

Besides aren't all conditions existing as soon as you drive it off the dealer's lot? The car just doesn't know it yet!
Old 03-31-15, 08:36 PM
jmsmiff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that issue. One month after I bought my CPO lexus LS460 (with 23k) the headlamp went out and I asked was it covered....Keep in mind I had the original and extended warranty. But they said it wasn't covered and wanted to charge me $644 to replace. I contacted Lexus Corporate and they said that did sound a bit excessive and they cut me a check for $500 toward the repair. I ordered the bulbs from ebay (oem) and took 30 mins to install.
Old 04-01-15, 03:16 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Got their highest/most expensive warranty (around 5k) when I purchased my previous ls600 and they would not repair either a defective seat mechanism or a window shade that would pop back in when deployed. Totaled the car 3 month later and they only refunded around 1200$ out of the warranty. Basically useless unless your engine blows up. I also asked them to certify the car before buying it so I would not have to test and look for every possible defect and they didn't put a notice about the cracked wood panel on the door (which was there before I purchased the car). In the report they are supposed to check for wear and tear and put it in the report, but they didn't. They also refused to repair that.
Old 04-01-15, 03:50 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You pretty much said it. Thats why I discourage people from geting one.

The Original warranty is the only real warranty, everything else like: CPO warranty, extended warranty, original extended warranty is just an extended limited warranty that you can buy with different packages some will only covers major componnents like engine, tranny and some electrical and mechanical elements, some will cover many other things, still very far from original warranty and unless you buy a BMW ot Mercedes, you probably wont even use it. The problem woth the extended warranty is this: they will only cover if the components stop functioning, if there was foul play they will not cover it:

For example: you hit something on the road, and you damaged yur wheel bearing, say the wheel bearing is a covered componnent, they will decline the coverage due to damage to the wheel.

Lets look at another example: say you did not hit the wheel, but the mechanics did find damage on the wheel and there for the warranty will decline yout claim to replace the bearings.

There many stories like this, the most common one is when after an oil change the oil leaked out and damaged the engine. The warranty said , that they will not cover the engine because the damage was due to no oil and it is your responsibility to ensure there is oil.

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Got their highest/most expensive warranty (around 5k) when I purchased my
previous ls600 and they would not repair either a defective seat mechanism or a window shade that would pop back in when deployed. Totaled the car 3 month later and they only refunded around 1200$ out of the warranty. Basically useless unless your engine blows up. I also asked them to certify the car before buying it so I would not have to test and look for every possible defect and they didn't put a notice about the cracked wood panel on the door (which was there before I purchased the car). In the report they are supposed to check for wear and tear and put it in the report, but they didn't. They also refused to repair that.
Old 04-01-15, 12:48 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
You pretty much said it. Thats why I discourage people from geting one.

The Original warranty is the only real warranty, everything else like: CPO warranty, extended warranty, original extended warranty is just an extended limited warranty that you can buy with different packages some will only covers major componnents like engine, tranny and some electrical and mechanical elements, some will cover many other things, still very far from original warranty and unless you buy a BMW ot Mercedes, you probably wont even use it. The problem woth the extended warranty is this: they will only cover if the components stop functioning, if there was foul play they will not cover it:

For example: you hit something on the road, and you damaged yur wheel bearing, say the wheel bearing is a covered componnent, they will decline the coverage due to damage to the wheel.

Lets look at another example: say you did not hit the wheel, but the mechanics did find damage on the wheel and there for the warranty will decline yout claim to replace the bearings.

There many stories like this, the most common one is when after an oil change the oil leaked out and damaged the engine. The warranty said , that they will not cover the engine because the damage was due to no oil and it is your responsibility to ensure there is oil.
It's all cause and effect. I don't blame a warranty company from denying a claim for the above reasons. Warranty is not the same as insurance and there are a lot of complainers that have an unusual level of entitlement that don't read the fine print. Then there are those that game the system to their benefit and the company pays out with other peoples money who don't make a stink about faults that are their own doing only to have the warranty company hassle legitimate claims .

I like to be free of warranties except in situations where I need something which it's reliability is questionable enough to warranty it.

Last edited by Devh; 04-01-15 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 02:47 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
It's all cause and effect. I don't blame a warranty company from denying a claim for the above reasons. Warranty is not the same as insurance and there are a lot of complainers that have an unusual level of entitlement that don't read the fine print. Then there are those that game the system to their benefit and the company pays out with other peoples money who don't make a stink about faults that are their own doing only to have the insurance company hassle legitimate claims .

I like to be free of warranties except in situations where I need something which it's reliability is questionable enough to warranty it.
I kinda agree with this, if you hit a bump hard and the wheel bend, that would be far fetched to go to the manufacturer for compensation. As for the fine print, they are not always as obvious as they seems and clearly sometime not made while keeping in mind options like car refrigerator or window blind. And as hard and detailed you try to write the fine print there are always things open for interpretation. Imo windows blind mechanism is part of the mechanical working of the car and should be included in the warranty, as well as the seat mechanism.
Old 04-01-15, 03:05 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
I kinda agree with this, if you hit a bump hard and the wheel bend, that would be far fetched to go to the manufacturer for compensation. As for the fine print, they are not always as obvious as they seems and clearly sometime not made while keeping in mind options like car refrigerator or window blind. And as hard and detailed you try to write the fine print there are always things open for interpretation. Imo windows blind mechanism is part of the mechanical working of the car and should be included in the warranty, as well as the seat mechanism.
There is a fine line between wear and tear, and manufacturing defects. Most people don't read the fine print but I did and found out how cleverly they have you at their mercy and discretion. The only reason they pay is for their reputation and to keep the payments coming but once you are the fat guy that eats too much at he buffet they will kick you out.

Aftermarket warranties do nothing more then create malinvestment and limited choices in the industry for what people really need.
Old 04-04-15, 05:50 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Dealer called me Friday. Said they would fix six out of eight control arm bushings. Said they would also fix a leaky shock. But they would not fix my catalytic converter. All kinds of sulfur smell when I step on it. Said the dash light has not gone off. I will see on Monday what they really fixed.
Old 04-09-15, 08:35 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Well I got my Lexus back today. Dealer replaced six out of the eight control arms. They also replaced a leaky shock. After smelling like rotten eggs inside my car when I really stepped on it, Dealer told me there was nothing wrong with my catalytic converter since the catalytic converter light did not come on the dash. What BS is that? I think they were getting tired of me. I must have told them 5 times to check this. Sounds like they blew me off. But I did not pay anything. Not even the alignment charge. Should I go to another dealer and complain about the smell?
Old 04-10-15, 07:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I side with them. I've had occasional heavy smells of sulphur like you did, but never had any SES codes come up. If you have an issue it'll show on your SES (02 sensors, etc). I found that changing fuel suppliers had an effect on the smell and the severity. I almost never get the smell anymore.
Old 04-12-15, 07:07 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 260 Posts

jarm:

Try changing gas suppliers. The rotten egg smell is usually caused by high sulfur content in the gas. If that doesn't help, try them again or a different dealership