IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about extended warranty transfer

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 11:10 AM
BADFNZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about extended warranty transfer

I purchased my '06 IS350 back in February from a Chevy dealership that had taken it in on a trade. It was out of the factory warranty by a month, but I found through the local Lexus dealer that the previous owner had purchased the Platinum 100k warranty. So I talked to Lexus Corporate about transferring the warranty in my name, and they said I had to get the previous owner's permission along with a few other documents. So I mail all the required papers to them but they denied it saying it is only transferable to the next owner of the car, and since technically the Chevy dealership owned it after the guy traded it in, they could not transfer it into my name. So I am trying to work my way around this and was wondering if anyone has been through this same situation or might have some input. Thanks.
Old 07-05-10, 12:01 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have an answer, just a question for clarification: Lexus is saying that an extended warranty is transferrable only once (and the Chevy dealer used up the single transfer), is that correct?
Old 07-05-10, 03:47 PM
BADFNZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by MBTC
I don't have an answer, just a question for clarification: Lexus is saying that an extended warranty is transferrable only once (and the Chevy dealer used up the single transfer), is that correct?
Lexus says the warranty is only transferable to the next owner of the car.
Old 07-06-10, 11:14 AM
BADFNZ
Rookie

Anyone have any SA on this?
Old 07-06-10, 11:35 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

A car dealer should not be considered as the next owner of the vehicle...they did not register the vehicle under their name (if they did, I have never heard of that)...I would call the warranty company back and have them prove the 2 supposed owners...
Old 07-06-10, 11:38 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps you can check with the dealer where you bought it from if they can help you with the extended warranty transfer. I don't think car dealer should be considered as owner since they don't even drive the car. They just sell the car.
Old 04-29-19, 11:18 AM
Hasman69
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello. I know this is a very old thread but I find my self in the same situation and cannot find any other thread that is relatable. So was just curious if anyone here knows what ever happened? Did it get solved? I recently bought a 2016 ES 350 from an Acura dealer. Going through the glove box found a booklet that states that the previous owner bought Lexus Vehicle Service Contract good till 2024 with unlimited miles and is transferable to the next owner for free. The way to go about transferring the VSC is for the previous owner to sign a page in the booklet. My dilemma is that the previous owner hasn't obviously signed the page and so how should I go about transferring it? Don't want to call Lexus and ask them as I think they would like to save their money and don't think will be very helpful.
Old 04-29-19, 05:32 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I think you are being too pessimistic about Lexus. Call the headquarters or the service contract headquarters and see what they say. They will tell you the truth, and have helped lots of people. But if they tell you tough luck, they will not bend.
Old 05-04-19, 10:12 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Why on earth would the previous owner want to transfer the warranty to you for free?

He can, and more likely did, cancel the warranty and receive over 50% of his purchase price of the warranty back.

Just saying...
Old 05-05-19, 01:43 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Chances are the previous owner forgot he even had the warranty. So call the warranty service number and ask. It is the only way you will find out for certain.
Old 05-06-19, 10:53 AM
Hasman69
Driver

Originally Posted by GaryJG
Why on earth would the previous owner want to transfer the warranty to you for free?

He can, and more likely did, cancel the warranty and receive over 50% of his purchase price of the warranty back.

Just saying...
Because it does happen. I myself am guilty of that. Bought a car, thought I would keep it forever and so bought the extended warranty too. After a few years got bored with it and bought another new shiny toy and forgot that I even purchased the extended warranty with it in the first place and never applied for a refund.
Old 05-06-19, 11:00 AM
Hasman69
Driver

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Chances are the previous owner forgot he even had the warranty. So call the warranty service number and ask. It is the only way you will find out for certain.
My point exactly. People forget stuff.
And I know that I can call Lexus up and find out but the whole point of asking this here was to know if lets say the previous owner did forget and didn't cancel the warranty, how do I go about transferring it to me since I am sure Lexus would rather save some money and not transfer it to me.
I first called my local Lexus dealership as I have been a customer there for over a decade and they just flat told me that its not transferable even though the VSA warranty booklet clearly states that its transferable once for free to the next private owner. Just wanted to get all my duck in a row before I called Lexus.

Last edited by Hasman69; 05-06-19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 11:07 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Either way, the previous owner still owns the warranty. Lexus can not transfer w/o permission. Once the previous owner is told he or she still has warranty they will more than likely ask for a refund for their due portion.

Last edited by GaryJG; 05-19-19 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Spelling