LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My blackstone Labs oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 09:30 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default My blackstone Labs oil analysis

oilreports pdf.pdf

One correction need to be noted on the report. First of all, the "6000 km" mileage on the oil is actually 6000 MILES (or 10,000 km). This of course does improve the numbers substantially, however I am slightly concerned with the elevated sodium number. The Potassium number though, is not high so that kinda suggests it's not a coolant leak. Also the numbers are zero for water and coolant. I do have a leaky water pump, but that should not effect the oil unless the sodium from coolant leaking is being ingested into the intake (as road salt does in some oil analysis'). Sodium is also a known oil additive in some oils such as Valvoline and Mobil 1. I'm not sure if it is in the QS oil I used.

You can also see that I used 3 qts of oil for top-ups in that 6k miles. Apparently that's common. There are no obvious signs of leakage anywhere, nor am I blowing any blue smoke.

Two oil changes from now, I'm going to send in another sample of the Toyota 0W20 I plan to use and see what happens.

FWIW, the car runs awesome, and no indication of moistire in my oil - no smoke, no sludge under the cap, no overheating, etc. Regardless, I'm a little on edge.
Old 09-01-14, 10:47 AM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Blackstone Labs sounds like a great investment. Glad to hear your LS is running well. So do you recommend the standard oil testing, $25.00, or additional testing that can be included for additional fees. I just changed my oil with 0-20 mobile one synthetic. Most definitely I will be doing this next oil change, especially while under warranty. Thanks!
Old 09-01-14, 11:23 AM
PHOUND5
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris,

You added 3 quarts of oil to your LS 460 engine in 10,000 miles. I never added oil to my 430 in 100K miles nor have I added any to my LS 460 in 20 K miles.

Either you have a leak, your engine has worn unduly, or more disturbing as the Blackstone Report said, "We're not entirely sure where the oil's going."

I am wondering if you are somehow overfilling your engine due to either a damaged dip stick or incorrect oil level checking technique.

Here is a link and it has a link in it as well on the oil consumption issue

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ion-issue.html
Old 09-01-14, 11:52 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks PHOUNDS, I've seen that thread many times. As Lexus states "normal consumption". I dont agree, but even with a warranty and proof of the consumption, they would cite the consumption as "within parameters". Also, my sample had 6k miles not 10k. Regardless, I don't care about the oil consumption so long as the engine continues to plug along and without blue smoke. My E65 BMW used that much oil but emitted enormous clouds of blue smoke and failed emissions tests.

Trust me...I know how to check the oil level! ;-)
I keep the level at just below the top hole in the stick.

Retlex: I just use the standard sampling. I've been doing this on all my vehicles for ten years. Every other oil change is a good regimen.
Old 09-01-14, 03:47 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Not a bad report however I'm a little concerned with the higher then normal oil consumption at 80k miles.
One of the issues with most Toyotas that run Dino oil is the oil control rings. That oil passages on the piston can get heavily deposited leading to consumption. Also the build up on the rings can also cause oil to slip by.
Let us know if the AutoRx treatment reduces the oil consumption.
Old 09-03-14, 03:45 AM
GSEREP111
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am concerned about that oil consumption myself. 3 quarts of oil in 6000 miles is excessive in my book, since I never see any usage between changes. I check it often, and it never needs any. That extra oil is going
someplace....I just don't know where. If not leaking, then the catalytic converters are seeing some of it.....not good in my opinion.
Old 09-03-14, 08:07 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PHOUND5
Chris,

You added 3 quarts of oil to your LS 460 engine in 10,000 miles. I never added oil to my 430 in 100K miles nor have I added any to my LS 460 in 20 K miles.
Me either, mine doesn't burn anything noticeable between changes.
I suspect it's coming out the tailpipe, just not enough to be visible.

Stick your finger inside the tailpipes along the inner surface. If it comes out black, oily and gummy that's where the oil is going.
Old 09-03-14, 04:04 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

As I posted on another thread, I have now put about 1k miles on my current oil change and have not had to add a drop of oil. I'm suspecting that my addition of Rislone oil treatment has freed up a sticky ring. The engine runs smooth and quiet. We'll see how it goes for the long run. Again, the sodium and presence of some potassium does present some concern, but I have a feeling it may be the oil additive pkg as noted by Blackstone.