Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS460, LS460L and LS600h
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

automatic headlights not turning off

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-13, 10:54 AM   #31
Grendal
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fl
Posts: 1
Default

I very recently purchased a 2007 CPO LS 460--same problem. Fortunately, I returned to the garage an hour or so after leaving the car with the lights set on "Auto." I brought the car back to the dealer who fixed the problem. Turned out to be a short in the courtesy light door switch, driver's door. According to the service manager, this problem will keep the "Auto" mechanism from working. The service history indicates this car is on its 3rd or 4th battery. Let's hope this issue is resolved.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Grendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 05:15 PM   #32
bkaley
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: IL
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcraney View Post
Nothing about these sequences seem to indicate abnormal operation.

Are you aware of the customizable delay? The headlight "Auto Off" - not to be confused with that "Auto" position on the light control stalk on the left side of the steering wheel - is an autonomous feature that turns off the headlights after a delay that can be customized by your dealer. The delay options are 0 or 30 or 60 or 90 seconds. The delay begins when the last door/trunk is closed and is not altered by when you lock your doors, either with the handle button or by operating the remote key one time. The delay can be terminated to zero by pressing the "Lock" symbol on the remote key two times in quick succession.

You can determine how the Auto Off Delay is set by getting out your stop watch. Get in your car, Set the lights to "On" (that is the position that has the headlight symbol, one step CW from the Auto position) and start your car. Now, turn your ignition off, open the door and get out. Start your stopwatch when you close the door and watch the headlights. The timing is precise, so if they are not off in 90 seconds or less then there is a problem.
Somehow I have gotten caught up in this twighlite zone of a forum without finding much useful information pertaining to what features have to be set by the dealer. I remember seeing a list of those features from a google search but am having a hard time sifting through all these useless comments like " getting out your stopwatch"
bkaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 05:31 PM   #33
jmcraney
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jmcraney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 1,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkaley View Post
Somehow I have gotten caught up in this twighlite zone of a forum without finding much useful information pertaining to what features have to be set by the dealer. I remember seeing a list of those features from a google search but am having a hard time sifting through all these useless comments like " getting out your stopwatch"
Watch it on those useless comments about useless comments!

We'll be sending you our customary bill for a "book reading fee."

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...-settings.html

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-23-13 at 05:34 PM..
jmcraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 06:31 AM   #34
Aringel
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: in
Posts: 2
Default Automatic headlights wont turn off

I have the same problem as previously described.
I had no problem for years until recently.
Lights have always been on auto. I will close the door and press the lock button on the door handle as usual and hear the audible tone as always.
Sometimes after 30 sec delay lights will not turn off and battery once was discharged completely.
Aringel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 07:55 AM   #35
jmcraney
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jmcraney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 1,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aringel View Post
I have the same problem as previously described.
I had no problem for years until recently.
Lights have always been on auto. I will close the door and press the lock button on the door handle as usual and hear the audible tone as always.
Sometimes after 30 sec delay lights will not turn off and battery once was discharged completely.
You are experiencing the classic symptoms of a defective "door jamb switch" on the driver's door jamb. Repair is simple and inexpensive. The part is available at Lexus and Toyota dealers and is inexpensive. You can get the switch replaced at Lexus dealers, Toyota dealers, body shops, independent mechanics or you can DIY. The labor takes about 10 minutes.
jmcraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 08:16 AM   #36
Aringel
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: in
Posts: 2
Default Headlights on auto won't turn off

Thanks so much jm. Really appreciated!!!!!
Aringel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 03:23 PM   #37
Buggeroff6
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Buggeroff6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 10
Default Lights stay on!

What I don't see explained in the posts is why my lights don't stay on in stalk positon #2, which is just BEFORE the Automatic position #3. If the auto off sensor is default, why is it letting me run out bmy battery in that positon..doors locked, key removed etc. I understand perfectly how the AUTO position works, and am happy with it EXCEPT when it's rainng or snowing, in which case my sensitivities tell the head/tail lights its usually still too bright to turn on lights, so I switch the post to position two and almost always forget they're still on when I stop, being that there's no annoying bell that chimes to warn of the lights on in daylight.
Is position two an override, for diagnostics, etc...it sure doesn't shut down for me within any time interval. If so, I wonder if ANY of the lighting auto sensitivity adjustments can be accurate enough (this is an sc430) to sense rain or snow and come on...seems to me it would be impossible, but I like DRL's on all the time, so maybe I shouldn't care!
Buggeroff6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 05:24 PM   #38
jmcraney
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jmcraney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 1,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeroff6 View Post
What I don't see explained in the posts is why my lights don't stay on in stalk positon #2, which is just BEFORE the Automatic position #3. If the auto off sensor is default, why is it letting me run out bmy battery in that positon..doors locked, key removed etc. I understand perfectly how the AUTO position works, and am happy with it EXCEPT when it's rainng or snowing, in which case my sensitivities tell the head/tail lights its usually still too bright to turn on lights, so I switch the post to position two and almost always forget they're still on when I stop, being that there's no annoying bell that chimes to warn of the lights on in daylight.
Is position two an override, for diagnostics, etc...it sure doesn't shut down for me within any time interval. If so, I wonder if ANY of the lighting auto sensitivity adjustments can be accurate enough (this is an sc430) to sense rain or snow and come on...seems to me it would be impossible, but I like DRL's on all the time, so maybe I shouldn't care!
I don't think you have a clear understanding of how the headlights work. It is not possible to deplete the battery by accidently leaving the headlights on if all is well with the car. It is very likely that you have a defective door-jamb switch on the driver's door. We have discussed this extensively in this thread and several other threads. If you will read this thread from Post #1 - http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...rning-off.html - I think you will be able to resolve your problem quickly. Although you seem to be talking about an SC430, most modern luxury cars have had this technology for many years and this will apply to your car too.
jmcraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 09:39 AM   #39
jmcraney
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jmcraney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 1,157
Default

I can tell, by watching the "views" count on this thread, that there continues to be some interest in this subject.

Here is a link to another thread that might be helpful too: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...mb-switch.html

If you find that you have a defective Door Jamb Switch I hope you will report your experience to the NHTSA at: www.Safercar.gov
jmcraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 02:39 PM   #40
Buggeroff6
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Buggeroff6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 10
Default lights are on! lights are on!

Does anyone remember the talking voice that reminded Eddie Murphy about that s-#%?
For all the techno speak, I can't get a straight answer from this board or my Lexus service advisors: ARE THE HEADLAMPS SUPPOSED TO AUTO SHUT OFF IN ANY HEADLAMP STALK POSITION (OTHER THAN 'AUTO' OR OFF, OF COURSE).
MY CAR AUTO SHUTS THE HEADLAMPS IN 'AUTO'' POSITION, SO I THINK THE WRITER WHO SAID SHUT OFF IS AUTONOMOUS IS NOT WRITING FROM AN 02 SC430!
The fact that my headlamps turn off in 30 secs in the auto setting and not in others leads me to believe it ain't the door jamb.

Last edited by Buggeroff6; 08-18-14 at 02:42 PM..
Buggeroff6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 03:38 PM   #41
jmcraney
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jmcraney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 1,157
Default

I will try again to explain the headlight operation to you.

The AUTO position on the light control stem affects how the lights behave only when the IGNITION SWITCH is ON. When the IGNITION SWITCH is ON the headlights are off and on in response to the ambient light conditions - ON for low light and OFF for bright light conditions. The light sensor for this feature is located in the top of the dash near the windshield margin. If you cover the sensor operation is uncertain. The AUTO feature is a nice safety feature that prevents you from driving without your headlights in low light conditions. The AUTO position has nothing to do with turning your lights off after you turn the ignition off.

For the past 30 or 40 years most cars have been equipped with a lights-auto-off feature to insure that the lights don't remain on after the ignition is turned off. This feature is autonomous, with no controls and no adjustments as to off and on or sensitivity. Some cars have an adjustable delay to set the interval from ignition-off to lights-off. For most of the cars this auto-off sequence is started by ignition off - driver's door open - driver's door closed. For most cars the driver's-door-open/driver's-door-closed is sensed by the door jamb switch on the driver's door.

Last edited by jmcraney; 08-18-14 at 03:42 PM..
jmcraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 08:37 AM   #42
jmcraney
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jmcraney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 1,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeroff6 View Post
Does anyone remember the talking voice that reminded Eddie Murphy about that s-#%?
For all the techno speak, I can't get a straight answer from this board or my Lexus service advisors: ARE THE HEADLAMPS SUPPOSED TO AUTO SHUT OFF IN ANY HEADLAMP STALK POSITION (OTHER THAN 'AUTO' OR OFF, OF COURSE).
MY CAR AUTO SHUTS THE HEADLAMPS IN 'AUTO'' POSITION, SO I THINK THE WRITER WHO SAID SHUT OFF IS AUTONOMOUS IS NOT WRITING FROM AN 02 SC430!
The fact that my headlamps turn off in 30 secs in the auto setting and not in others leads me to believe it ain't the door jamb.
After carefully reading what you said, I think it is likely that you don't have a problem and what you are experiencing is a result of your testing method. The lights-auto-off feature has a function that allows the Parking Lights (you refer to this as "position 1") or the headlights (you refer to this as "position 2") to remain on when the ignition is off for circumstances when you would not want the lights to go off after the delay. You invoke this by turning the **** on the control stem to OFF after the IGNITION is OFF and then back to Parking Lights or Headlights. Then the lights will remain on until the ignition is turned on and then off and a door is opened followed by all door closed or the battery is depleted or the lights are turned off with the **** on the control stem.

If you want to test the lights-auto-off feature for the parking lights (position 1) or headlights (position 2) then you need to set the stem control to parking lights on or headlights on and then turn the Ignition Switch OFF, if it is on, or ON and OFF, open at least one door and then insure all doors are closed and wait for the delay to expire. This sounds a little complex but normally if you turn your ignition OFF while any of the lights are on and open a door and close all doors the lights will go off after the delay, no matter how the stem control is set if you don't change the stem control after you turn the ignition off.

I hope this helps.
jmcraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 08:37 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic on/off Light Switch Doubleg LS460, LS460L and LS600h 6 01-14-13 05:32 AM
Headlight Cuts Out When Turing Car On Only RamshakleZ IS - Second Generation 6 09-26-12 08:35 AM
Aftermarket HID Question 2JZSHOTTAZ IS - First Generation 9 01-19-12 08:52 PM
Do Automatic light off system turn off parking lights? Lohus IS - Second Generation 11 05-19-09 09:56 AM
Automatic Headlights: How to always have on? mase GS - First Generation 8 07-13-04 03:26 PM


Tags
2007, auto, automatic, battery, cars, headlights, lexus, light, lights, ls460, park, start, switch, turning, wrong

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info