LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS460 AWD - Air Strut Problem/VGRS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 03:24 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 LS460 AWD - Air Strut Problem/VGRS

Hey everyone,

I recall reading in the past that some have experienced issues with their rear air suspension struts, if I recall correctly. My car just hit 10,000 miles, and in recent weeks, I have many times noted a loud thud coming from the rear suspension over bumps. I know this is new, because it now happens as I exit the driveway of my office, and it never used to occur as I exited. I don't actually feel a jolt transmitted to the cabin, rather it's just a very loud thud sound. Does it sound like I might have the air strut issue?

Also, I had the VGRS recall performed at the 5,000 mile service. I really feel that it changed the entire operation of the steering wheel. At lower speeds, such as in a parking lot, I have to use great effort to turn the wheel back in the other direction. Otherwise, the steering wheel and wheels remained largely turned and only very slowly return to center. I remember the steering wheel returned to center very quickly before the recall. It's really annoying to have to use so much effort (haha, I know this sounds lazy) when steering at slow speeds. Any thoughts?

Have a great weekend,

Allen
Old 02-19-13, 03:30 PM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allen - did you ever figure out the rear loud thump issue? My 2010 is now doing the same thing at 40k. I have already had the two front shocks done and now I am worried abut the rears?

Anyone else have these issues?

thanks
Old 02-19-13, 09:34 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was surprised to see my 2 year old post back at the top of the list! Yes, the problem was resolved after the dealership spent a week taking my car apart. It turns out a piece of the rear brake assembly was loose. The problem has never returned. In the past few weeks, though, I've developed a new problem - the front driver's side suspension rattles over bumps or uneven surfaces. What symptoms did you experience from your front suspension?
Old 02-20-13, 04:51 AM
redlight30
Driver

Originally Posted by Strad6708
I was surprised to see my 2 year old post back at the top of the list! Yes, the problem was resolved after the dealership spent a week taking my car apart. It turns out a piece of the rear brake assembly was loose. The problem has never returned. In the past few weeks, though, I've developed a new problem - the front driver's side suspension rattles over bumps or uneven surfaces. What symptoms did you experience from your front suspension?
My dealership had to replace both front shocks saying it was something to do with the electronics. The problem has not come back - I do believe there was a bulletin on the front shocks not sure about the rear. I will have them check for the brake assembly as well as the noise sounds very similar to what you described. Brian
Old 02-21-13, 06:29 PM
redlight30
Driver

Originally Posted by redlight30
My dealership had to replace both front shocks saying it was something to do with the electronics. The problem has not come back - I do believe there was a bulletin on the front shocks not sure about the rear. I will have them check for the brake assembly as well as the noise sounds very similar to what you described. Brian
Quick update - so now I had to have the right rear strut replaced so in total its both front shocks and now right rear strut. I am going to watch closely for the left rear now before my regular warranty is up! Drove the 2013 RX as a loaner and I may try and convince the wife to head in that direction and dump the minivan!
Old 02-22-13, 06:47 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm. I assumed the 2010 had better suspension components than the 07-09. Seems it maybe prone to same issues.

Even bigger than the 2010 LS 460 refresh is the introduction of an LS 460 Sport model, which brings a number of performance enhancements to the Lexus flagship:

Mesh front grille
Aero kit, which features a front lower spoiler, side rocker panels, and rear lower spoiler
New 19” split 10 spoke wheels
Bremo brake system
Revised sport-tuned air suspension with new stabilizer bars and shock absorbers
Perforated Black/Saddle leather interior with sport front seats
Leather-trimmed steering wheel and paddle shifters for the eight-speed automatic transmission

Read more at http://lexusenthusiast.com/2009/10/0...sOT10ZoaMh4.99
Old 02-23-13, 06:07 AM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniGS
hmmm. I assumed the 2010 had better suspension components than the 07-09. Seems it maybe prone to same issues.

Even bigger than the 2010 LS 460 refresh is the introduction of an LS 460 Sport model, which brings a number of performance enhancements to the Lexus flagship:

Mesh front grille
Aero kit, which features a front lower spoiler, side rocker panels, and rear lower spoiler
New 19” split 10 spoke wheels
Bremo brake system
Revised sport-tuned air suspension with new stabilizer bars and shock absorbers
Perforated Black/Saddle leather interior with sport front seats
Leather-trimmed steering wheel and paddle shifters for the eight-speed automatic transmission

Read more at http://lexusenthusiast.com/2009/10/0...sOT10ZoaMh4.99
Yeah..we see you plottin Trin!! Just make sure you either by a CPO with wrap (extended) or if you don't get CPO that you get a 3rd party warranty which specifically list air suspension components INCLUDING struts. I just had $2500 worth of control arms replaced under CPO!! So..make sure you handle that when you get your LS soon haha..#YouAintSlick
Old 04-03-13, 03:58 AM
redlight30
Driver

Quick update - so now I had to have the right rear strut replaced so in total its both front shocks and now right rear strut. I am going to watch closely for the left rear now before my regular warranty is up! Drove the 2013 RX as a loaner and I may try and convince the wife to head in that direction and dump the minivan!
So yesterday I start to hear the same noise coming from the left rear! Argghh! I am bringing it in next week and telling them do the left rear strut now - and to top it off my brakes have now got that clicking sound which others seem to be getting! Seems to be especially in reverse backing out of garage. I printed the TSB for brake actuators and will tell them to change those as well! Coming up on the 4 years so I am going to try and change/fix anything possible before the regular warranty is up.

Gotta say for a $75k plus car I am starting to wonder.

hate to say it but drove a A8 the other day and loved it but am concerned about Audi reliability.
Old 04-03-13, 08:56 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniGS
the introduction of an LS 460 Sport model, which brings a number of performance enhancements to the Lexus flagship:
Last week, there were two of them on the CPO lot in Birmingham. Give Tom Williams Lexus a call if you're interested.
Old 08-31-14, 07:37 AM
redlight30
Driver

So yesterday I start to hear the same noise coming from the left rear! Argghh! I am bringing it in next week and telling them do the left rear strut now - and to top it off my brakes have now got that clicking sound which others seem to be getting! Seems to be especially in reverse backing out of garage. I printed the TSB for brake actuators and will tell them to change those as well! Coming up on the 4 years so I am going to try and change/fix anything possible before the regular warranty is up.

Gotta say for a $75k plus car I am starting to wonder.

hate to say it but drove a A8 the other day and loved it but am concerned about Audi reliability.
Just a quick update on my 2010 with 70k miles. It has now been in a total of 6 times for struts/shocks and this last time all the control arms were done and water pump. Up to over $17k in warranty repairs. two days later again the clattering noise re-appears. Now being told its "lexus normal noises or something to that effect". Meeting with the master tech again this week as when this car is right there is no noise at all. Spoke to Lexus corporate as well. Might be time to dump this "flagship" motorcar!