Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Air force suspension height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 07:18 PM
3isdanny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air force suspension height adjustment

This might sound like a stupid question but I'm trying to figure out how to prevent my air suspension from dropping so low when airing out. I'm a bit confused. Would I turn the strut in the rear to make the strut longer or shorter. I have 4 inches of threads showing on the rear strut and it still drops really low. I don't think there is much threads left. Am I doing this wrong?. Any help appreciated.
Old 05-23-17, 07:47 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are the rear air springs separated from the struts, or are they built into the struts?
If they're separated from the struts there's not much you can do aside from setting up a preset that doesn't completely air it out.
Old 05-23-17, 07:52 PM
3isdanny
Driver School Candidate

Oh ok. The bag is separated from the strut. This is a 3is. So what does the threads and collar do on the strut then? Anyone with air force? How much threads do you have showing on the strut?
Old 05-23-17, 08:15 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 3isdanny
Oh ok. The bag is separated from the strut. This is a 3is. So what does the threads and collar do on the strut then? Anyone with air force? How much threads do you have showing on the strut?
The threads on the strut themselves will adjust the amount of travel you have, so unless the struts themselves bottom out first before the air springs completely air out, your min height won't increase when airred out.
Actually, min height on the 3is (for the rears) with stock control arms, the frame will bottom out onto the control arm with the slight u-curve to it, as an absolute min point.

But yeah, i'll let others with air suspension chime in with ideas, as the only way I can think of increasing min height with 0psi aside from what you did already, is to increase the height/move the separated air spring perch up.
Old 05-23-17, 08:18 PM
3isdanny
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm. I'm trying to remember if airforce has adjustment on the air spring... installed these last year but just got around to putting in my elevel and trying to get everything set up perfect
Old 05-25-17, 10:40 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

No way to adjust air'd out for the rear of the 3IS since the bag (spring pocket) is separate from the strut. Adjusting the collar on the strut only adjust stroke travel of the strut only.
When fully air'd out the rear will sit on ground nearly almost laying from. No way around this.

The front you can adjust collar to try to site the car slightly higher with zero psi
Old 05-25-17, 07:25 PM
3isdanny
Driver School Candidate

Oh ok. Thanks man. Thought I was doing something wrong. Do you know where I should have the strut adjusted to?. Should I just center it? Don't want to damage the strut
Old 05-25-17, 08:28 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by 3isdanny
Oh ok. Thanks man. Thought I was doing something wrong. Do you know where I should have the strut adjusted to?. Should I just center it? Don't want to damage the strut
best to adjust it to same length as the stock ones and then shorten it 1-2" to give it a little extra travel stroke vs stock (but this may not matter really since the car can seemingly air out without the Struts holding you back anyways even at stock length)