LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460L Air Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 10:36 AM
jsilvers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Latest Lexus Drama......Lexus has agreed to replace the right rear air shock/mount assembly at no cost. I may have misspoke earlier when I said that they had supplied the labor and I had paid for the part. It was the opposite. I paid for labor and they pais for the part. Why is this important you ask?.....If you'll remember, I paid for the labor.....4.2 hours of labor at a cost of $500. This ended up being the smoking gun if you will. If you'll look closely at the TSB-0058-09, it clearly states on the part that it IS a new part. Also...and this is important, quantity is(2)!!!!!!!! OK, so now we have the service bulletin that says they have an issue with this. It also shows that when repairing, they are to replace both left and right. What other surprises might this wonderful piece of paper hold....how about the labor breakdown and what labor billing is for this repair under warranty!. Yep...the techs are to bill warranty 4.2 hours for the repair.....BOTH SIDES!!!! Time to cross reference my previous repair ticket....amazing....4.2 hours. Just what they were supposed to bill out, trouble is this rate of billing is for replacing both side...just as the service bulletin says to do. I believe it's now time to call Lexus Customer Service Supervisor again and ask a few questions.....My call was promptly returned. I explained that there was indeed a service bulletin for this issue and gave him the number. He was surprised....that there was one or that I had found one I don't know, but surprised none the less. He quickly pointed out to me that it clearly states that this bulletin is for the warranty period only, and my vehicle is out of the warranty period. I agreed that he was indeed correct, but there seems to be another issue at hand. I pointed out that it clearly states that BOTH are supposed to be replaced. He agreed and stated that that's what they were doing now, no difference in 28 days, it's the same thing, they were still going to purchase they part and I would pay the labor. Win-win situation, just a delay on the left side you might say. It would be but with one small little detail. It seems that I had ALREADY PAID for BOTH sides to be replaced. Remember that 4.2 hours! I explained to him that I had ALREADY fulfilled my end of the transaction. It would be unfair to bill me again, in fact, to me it seems that they simply had neglected to do half of the repair that I had paid fully for!. Silence...........................OK, we'll do it. Now, in fairness to Lexus, they have policies that they are firm on. I certainly don't agree with them as I think they should be repairing all at no cost. But, their supervisor quickly understood what I was pointing out and promptly agreed. No more trying to make it another issue. They have their policies, but do honor their mistakes....most of them anyway. Hope everybody can learn from this, those of you that have recently had this repair done and had to pay the labor....go check your billing hours...they may still owe you the other side!!!!!! Those that confront this problem in the future, remember that Both sides are to be replaced and labor is 4.2 hours!!!! Everybody have a great day!
Old 10-18-11, 04:55 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow this thread make me think twice about getting one with air,,,
Old 10-18-11, 12:17 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMS407
wow this thread make me think twice about getting one with air,,,
This is making me regret that I got one with air. I do get the hard thumps when I hit a bump or dip in my rear left but its mainly when i'm on level 4 or 6 with the Data Controller. If I am at Normal or Level 3 I haven't noticed any issues.

I have a 2009 and I am out of warranty now due to miles so it looks like when I start having problems I'm going to have to shell out some big bucks.
Old 10-18-11, 04:01 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by telmz1
This is making me regret that I got one with air. I do get the hard thumps when I hit a bump or dip in my rear left but its mainly when i'm on level 4 or 6 with the Data Controller. If I am at Normal or Level 3 I haven't noticed any issues.

I have a 2009 and I am out of warranty now due to miles so it looks like when I start having problems I'm going to have to shell out some big bucks.
you can always can get 3rd party platinum warranty but its hit or miss with those,,,
Old 08-06-12, 05:44 PM
Bhafeez
Driver School Candidate

Extremely unhappy with this expensive car. Noticed rough driving after 16k. Drove on thinking I was wrong until intolerable. Dealer found both rear struts were broken. Replaced with improvement. Took car back to replace the actuators as well. Now front left makes noise like worn out brakes. Embarrassed to ride in it. Noticed front tyres were both worn out. Rear tires ok. Have left car at dealer to fix whatever the problem is. Will pressure to return car without penalty on lease. This car is a nightmare. Called customer satisfaction. Lets see what they do. Wish I had gone Mercedes.
Bakhtiar@collatus.com
Old 08-06-12, 06:13 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear your having problems. I'm at 49K with no issues (knock on wood lol). Keeps us posted on what they fix
Old 08-06-12, 06:18 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Just purchased a CPO 600hL with 48K miles and air suspension rides flawless. I had a strut blow on my old 2007 LS460 so those have their issues too, but they are far and few between based on what I have seen here on CL
Old 08-08-12, 10:52 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

For those who have the Data Systems controller in your car and drive around with your car lowered, the constant lowered ride height will accelerate the diminishing ride comfort of your car. The additional wear on the OEM suspension will inevitably deteriorate the ride comfort.

Using aftermarket parts in conjunction with OEM suspension, irregardless or Mercedes/Lexus, the OEM ride comfort will have an abbreviated longevity.
Old 08-08-12, 10:59 AM
Lscott
Driver School Candidate

Default Same issues

I have always said that I am not impressed at all with the Lexus experience. But it's something about he car that's making me lease a 2012 ls460 l. The suspension on the 08 is terrible and the silver spring dealership looks at you like you have four heads when you tell them that the ride is not comfortable. I think it's the suspension.
Old 08-08-12, 11:01 AM
Lscott
Driver School Candidate

No air suspension for me. I'm glad that I read this enforce signing on he dotted line.
Old 08-08-12, 05:18 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lscott
No air suspension for me. I'm glad that I read this enforce signing on he dotted line.
I have the air suspension in my 08 and I just got back from a 1600 mile trip and man did that baby float absolutely no complaints here. Maybe this is an isolated incident on some of the owners cars. I also have a gs with coil overs and you can tell a big different in ride quality.