LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460L Air Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 10:01 PM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LS460L Air Suspension Problems

This is related to an earlier thread I posted in December. Apparently I had one Air Strut replaced on my '08 LS460L when a rattle sound was heard. Everything seemed fine and I was happy with the dealer response.

Recently the problem returned but on the other side of the car. I've returned to the dealer and they are clearly working to make me happy with a loaner car, constant communication, and a plan to repair the remaining Air Struts this week. This is great - but wondering if there is a trend. They seem baffled as well and nicely concerned.

Importantly, I am delicate with the vehicle and slow on speed bumps. The dealer noticed that the car has been well cared for and there is no sign of abuse on the wheels, etc.

The noise is noticable in Comfort mode and less in Sport. Going over bumps and small road imperfections makes the car sound like an old NY taxi cab.

Has anyone else reported this condition or have a similar history?
Old 01-25-09, 05:02 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MCG
Has anyone else reported this condition or have a similar history?
I think my LS600hL has the same suspension system as yours. After a year and 24000 miles, no problems....It's one of the reasons I chose the LS over the S550.

I'm not quite as gentle over the speed bumps, and the ice and snow have caused me to drive the car with the height raised. I don't know how that affects the suspension.

HBH
Old 01-25-09, 08:00 PM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Helmar
My thoughts are that the Air Struts assembled into my vehicle were most likely part of a defective run from a supplier. I should know more in the next few days when the new parts arrive and are installed. Will update this thread.
Old 01-26-09, 11:58 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

MCG, just curious, which dealer are you using?
Old 01-27-09, 08:57 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
I think my LS600hL has the same suspension system as yours. After a year and 24000 miles, no problems.
Same here. I don't slow down over speed bumps either.
Old 01-27-09, 12:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Same here. I don't slow down over speed bumps either.

Even with my air suspension, I am still trying to avoid the new pot holes up the Plateau ...
Old 02-06-09, 10:11 PM
mr29rose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i notice every bump in the road. even small ones. very disappoiting. i expected go go over bumps as if they werent there.
and certain speed bumps that are really tall, if i go a little to quick, the shocks feel likethey are bottoming out.
like when i went over aspeed bump aftr putting coilovers on my acura integra. a big thud i heard!
not normal on a stock ls460l!
Old 02-19-09, 02:41 PM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

Hello mr29rose;
This is what I am hearing as well. Apparently they have replaced all Air Struts on the vehicle - but I still notice the noise a bit and do crawl over certain bumps to be careful. Mine is a 2008 LS460L.

Wondering if the Air Strut assembly batch is bad from the manufacturer or the design might be flawed.

It is normal to hear and feel something - but it needs to be solid. My wife has a luxury SUV and you hear/feel a bump - but it is solid. Not the flutter/bump that I have in the LS.

The dealer (Danvers MA Lexus)has gone above and beyond to try and address - but it seems to still persist.

Thinking a recall might happen eventually. Not sure.

- MCG
Old 02-19-09, 07:44 PM
mr29rose
Pole Position

just got my car back from long service of tsibs. but the one they couldnt find anything with was the complaint of suspension and bumpy feel. they said it is normal.
Old 02-19-09, 07:44 PM
mr29rose
Pole Position

after driving an es350 for a week, my car feels and sounds much more amazing
Old 02-25-10, 03:25 PM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

I'm back with the same issue. After having the car checked out again - I still remain concerned that the noises in the back are reminicent of what you hear in a Taxi such as a Crown Vic. It sounds like the car is not tightly assembled in the rear suspension. I always expect to feel bumps on roads in New England and hear them as well - BUT - the sound should not be a flutter/bump - should be solid. Seems to be noticable on the Right Rear.
Old 02-25-10, 06:46 PM
orthrwi
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 LS460L with air suspension that has failed for the second time today.

The first time it failed with 22-25K. The front of the body dropped to the point that you couldn't see the top of the front tires, and the headlights were pointing into the ground about 100-150 feet in front of the car. The ride was intolerable.

The dealer had the car for 2-3 weeks and replaced vitually every part of the air suspension system including the compressor, the sensors, the computer and I believe a couple struts. They provided a loaner, but my car was given back to me several times over 3-5 weeks and failed again each time within a couple days. Ultimately they got it fixed, or so I thought.

It failed again today and is displaying the exact same symptoms it did about a year and 12K miles ago. I'm now at 36K, and am very concerned that, even if they get it fixed, it will fail at 50K+ and I'll be stuck for a horrendous out-of-warranty bill. I would kill for a problem with a rattle. (Actually, that would upset me too.)

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Old 02-26-10, 10:47 AM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

orthrwi;
This sounds like problems I faced soon after ther puchase of my vehicle in late '08. Mine were not as severe - but I noticed loud noises on bumps and the car was not leveled when parked. They replaced 4 air-struts and a sensor over the period of several visits spanning 2 months. I wish you luck on your case.
The noises I have are more noticable on one side and concern me in the feel of the ride over bumps. It is most likely a poorly designed system that is unable to properly regulate the air-pressure required to sustain a leveled ride.
My confidence in the vehicle has deminished based on the issue and the number of visits to the dealership as well as reviews by the Lexus rep.
Old 02-26-10, 03:08 PM
TWelson
Driver School Candidate

mr29rose said it best, "the shocks feel like they are bottoming out". I have '09 which I am currently driving in this condition. It took the dealer a few days to figure this out and now the parts are a few weeks out. Let's just say, I am not a happy camper! Whether driving it gingerly or letting it sit in the shop while driving a loaner (btw, there should be a loaner program for us LS drivers! ES and RX are fine vehicles but coming from a LS... for a few days, fine. A few weeks, I think not...but that's another tread) it's basically a month out of commision. I think I have a right to be cranky when you look at it that way. My dealer made this out to be some random event, thus the long leadtime on the part. Hmmm, seems to have been happening for a while now...

Sooo... to answer your question, you are not alone!
Old 03-01-10, 11:04 AM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

I experienced the Bottoming-out sound a year ago and it was corrected by the dealer; yet the suspension was not leveled when the vehicle was returned and was subsequently back in again for leveling and height correction.

In the near term - I will visit another dealership to see if they can do a comprehensive overview of the vehicle suspension to see why it sounds like a NY Taxi on local roads and manhole covers.

Interestingly, on highways at high speeds it is great.

The issue of not having your car and relying on a loaner is a blessing and a pain. It is nice that they do this for us - but I agree that not having our own car is not fun.

Quick Reply: 2008 LS460L Air Suspension Problems