Headlight Levelling

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 07:50 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Headlight Levelling

Hello,

I have a 2003 LS430 and I'm getting the "Headlight Levelling" warning. Is there any way I can troubleshoot this without replacing the sensors (they're not cheap). I know I can pull the fuse and have it go away, but if I did want to narrow down which one it is, can I somehow pul the error code from the car without going to the Lexus dealer?

Thanks.
Old 05-30-15, 10:35 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep any OBDII device should pull up the code and be able to clear it.

I have a thread about how to use the device with your iPhone, check it out.
Old 05-31-15, 11:34 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Thanks! Do you have a link to the thread? I have an expensive scanner but it doesn't give me the code for the headlight leveling problem.
Old 05-31-15, 11:50 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Yep any OBDII device should pull up the code and be able to clear it.

I have a thread about how to use the device with your iPhone, check it out.
I think I found the thread. Is this the unit you are talking about?

http://www.obdinnovations.com/vgate-...r-white-black/

I also see this one here:

http://www.obdinnovations.com/memosc...xus-scan-tool/

More expensive, but seems to have a lot of functions comparable with the techstream. Have you tried it?
Old 05-31-15, 11:53 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I see you are in Canada - the northern climates take a toll on this exposed mechanical sensor. Once you identify which sensor (front or rear) you can try removing it and placing it in a rust remover solvent (like CLR) to remove the rust around the switch joint (it's a mechanical arm). This may solve the problem, at least temporarily, as it did for me. Once you've removed the rust, rinsed and dried the arm sensor, place some grease around the area where the arm rotates up/down. This may delay further rust in the area where the part fails.
Old 05-31-15, 12:18 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom57
I see you are in Canada - the northern climates take a toll on this exposed mechanical sensor. Once you identify which sensor (front or rear) you can try removing it and placing it in a rust remover solvent (like CLR) to remove the rust around the switch joint (it's a mechanical arm). This may solve the problem, at least temporarily, as it did for me. Once you've removed the rust, rinsed and dried the arm sensor, place some grease around the area where the arm rotates up/down. This may delay further rust in the area where the part fails.
Yes the area where I live is very hard on cars. Lots of snow and salt on the roads. I did my rear brakes this yesterday and I had a look a the sensor. It was late in the evening and I was trying to put the car back together quickly so I didn't remove it. Couldn't see any obvious signs of rust or damage. However we do get the car sprayed with Krown - a rust inhibitor - each year and it looked like it was coated with it. Maybe I'll try and remove when I get time and clear it up like you said and see if it goes away.

Is there any way to identify which sensor is causing the problem - i.e. front or rear? The manual is a little thin on details on troubleshooting the sensors themselves. I guess it is basically a resistor, but I don't know what the acceptable range of resistance is. If you have any details that would help a lot.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-15, 12:55 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't have a way to identify which one it is. NOTE: the only area of rust that is of concern is in the arm swivel joint. It gets tight and doesn't swivel easily preventing the sensor arm from moving up/down based upon weight in the car and doing a self-test on start-up.

Edit: I checked my records and I ended up having to buy the rear sensor: # 89408-50060 It makes sense that it's the rear sensor since the weight in the rear elevates the headlights which the sensor detects and lowers the headlight aim to compensate.

Last edited by Tom57; 05-31-15 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 11:14 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcturus
I think I found the thread. Is this the unit you are talking about?

http://www.obdinnovations.com/vgate-...r-white-black/

I also see this one here:

http://www.obdinnovations.com/memosc...xus-scan-tool/

More expensive, but seems to have a lot of functions comparable with the techstream. Have you tried it?
Hey Arcturus,
No I haven't tried the 2nd tool you mentioned, but it looks nice

As for the first one, yes that is the one I use. And I use it with the software mentioned in the post, iPhone app.

Good luck solving your troubles.