Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Headlight Sweeping Mode Inop. Code B2431

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 03:31 PM
Jack10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Sweeping Mode Inop. Code B2431

I had a "check headlight system" warning pop up on my RX 450h and took it in to the dealer. Said the sweeping mode on RH headlight was not working. Solution: new headlight assy $2000.
I searched this forum and found nothing.
Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone had a condensation problem on a 2010 RX?
Thanks,
Jack
Old 05-23-15, 04:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Jack, sorry to hear about the headlight on your 450h. Condensation hasn't been an issue on the 3rd gen RX. What kind do you have? There's two types of movement, self leveling and AFS. The latter can be turned off through the toggle switch on the steering wheel. From your description it sounds like AFS. You might want to try that. Not that it fixes the problem but hopefully the warning goes away and gives you time to find a search repair options. AFS is one of those features nice to have but not necessary. In fact Lexus dropped it on the RX in 2013. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 05-23-15, 07:08 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Jack, sorry to hear about the headlight on your 450h. Condensation hasn't been an issue on the 3rd gen RX. What kind do you have? There's two types of movement, self leveling and AFS. The latter can be turned off through the toggle switch on the steering wheel. From your description it sounds like AFS. You might want to try that. Not that it fixes the problem but hopefully the warning goes away and gives you time to find a search repair options. AFS is one of those features nice to have but not necessary. In fact Lexus dropped it on the RX in 2013. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Could you expand on this description. Just last night I tried turning the steering wheel while stationary, to see if the headlights (HID) would move side to side. This was the case on my 2010BMWX3 and my 2006 530. I found it not to be the case with my 2013 RX450H. So I have self leveling, but not pivoting headlamps?
Old 05-23-15, 08:09 AM
Jack10
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the responses.

Yes. I was able to remove the warning using the toggle switch to turn the system completely off.
I did notice condensation in the RH headlight assy about two months ago after driving in the rain. The warning came on after 3 days of damp coastal CA driving. I was curious if others had the same problem
$2,000 seems outrageous for a headlight assy unfortunately this is the most complex system they offered. I had hoped to learn that this is a known problem that Lexus may fix as a "goodwill" gesture.

Maybe I can find one at a dismantling yard and feel comfortable if there were no condensation issues with the 2910s; my year.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-15, 11:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Dadofruth
Could you expand on this description. Just last night I tried turning the steering wheel while stationary, to see if the headlights (HID) would move side to side. This was the case on my 2010BMWX3 and my 2006 530. I found it not to be the case with my 2013 RX450H. So I have self leveling, but not pivoting headlamps?
Yes, Lexus dropped AFS beginning with the 2013 model. It's minimally useful when turning so you're not missing much.

Originally Posted by Jack10
Yes. I was able to remove the warning using the toggle switch to turn the system completely off.
I did notice condensation in the RH headlight assy about two months ago after driving in the rain. The warning came on after 3 days of damp coastal CA driving. I was curious if others had the same problem
$2,000 seems outrageous for a headlight assy unfortunately this is the most complex system they offered. I had hoped to learn that this is a known problem that Lexus may fix as a "goodwill" gesture.

Maybe I can find one at a dismantling yard and feel comfortable if there were no condensation issues with the 2910s; my year.

Thanks!
AFS makes the headlight more expensive unfortunately. I'm glad you were able to turn off the warning light at least for now. Condensation is a known ssue with the 2nd gen RXs. Both headlights on my 330 were replaced under warranty. Lexus has since agreed to replace them. You can read more about it here. Prior to that, many members fixed the headlight themselves. But it's definitely not for the faint of heart.

I don't recall a '10 RX member experiencing a headlight condensation issue. It's not to say it isn't happening, just that it hasn't been reported. Lexus Customer Service is now on CL. Go ahead and post here. They're online Monday - Friday, 5:00AM-6:00PM, PST and Saturday, 7:00AM – 4:00PM, PST or call 800-255-3987. I wish you luck in getting a satisfactory resolution.
Old 05-23-15, 03:38 PM
Jack10
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all the great information. I read through all 15 pages on the re-sealing process and ballast replacement.
Now I'm wondering if replacing the ballast rather than the entire assy would fix the problem with the non functioning AFS on the passenger side. Ant thoughts?
Old 05-30-15, 09:48 AM
Jack10
Driver School Candidate

Default Will a new ballast fix error code B2431?

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I'd much rather replace the ballast than the entire assy if it will fix the problem.
Thank you
Old 06-01-15, 09:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Jack, have you tried contracting Lexus Customer Service yet? Sometimes they do repairs as a goodwill gesture or reduce the cost. I'd say it's worth a shot. And didn't the dealer tell you your RXh needed a new headlight assembly per your first post?
Old 06-01-15, 11:55 AM
Jack10
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the reply

Anita,
I've been traveling but had time to post to the Lexus Customer Service Forum this morning. I'm not quite sure how this forum works, being a newbie. My post hasn't yet shown up. Hope I'm approaching this correctly.
Thanks for your interest and assistance.
Jack
Old 06-01-15, 05:08 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack10
Anita,
I've been traveling but had time to post to the Lexus Customer Service Forum this morning. I'm not quite sure how this forum works, being a newbie. My post hasn't yet shown up. Hope I'm approaching this correctly.
Thanks for your interest and assistance.
Jack
Oh behalf of Anita... since I'm doing one last check-in for the evening... Your post in the Lexus Customer Service Forum won't show up until if and when a response is provided by the Lexus Customer Service team and they mark the thread as something available for public viewing. IMHO, while the Lexus team monitors the forum generally 6-days a week per info in that forum's sticky, replies may not happen as quickly as what everyone may have come to expect on the rest of CL, given there are 4 folks in Lexus US that do the research and monitoring of that forum and (my words) attempt to be as factual and official with every reply, which I suspect adds time. Posts in most of our other forums here can happen sometimes very quickly with the tens-of-thousands of members around the globe that potentially can respond -- but then of course, we get what we get from both the well intentioned folks, as well as all the rest of our opinions and comments that sometimes may not count as much. I'm sure you get my gist. Just be patient, or you can always call Lexus Customer Service (#'s in that sticky too) for perhaps a more immediate interaction with someone, but I bet they too will have to go off and chase the detail down for you if they can.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-15, 08:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks Bert. Looks like there was a reply to the thread by the Lexus Customer Service team. Jack, please keep us posted on the resolution.