LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Clunking noise when hitting bumps...which parts needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-14, 02:33 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Awesome. My ride isn't bad, but I'd like to return it to new. I'm considering replacing the struts, even though none are leaking. After your experience, I'll probably do the bushings also. Thanks.
I replaced the front struts recently with new strut mounts and the struts weren't really bad, though they were original with 150k on them. What I've read is that there are different levels of dampening. Level 1 is where all the little vibrations and minor movements are absorbed. At 150k that is the level I was looking to fix, and the replacement has made the car handle better.

I'm ready to do the LCA bushings now. It sounds like they can be replaced without requiring an entirely new LCA or alignment..
Old 12-20-14, 10:35 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Your control arms usually go first. On the lower control arms there are two bushing. A smaller polyurethane that is non replaceable without the arm. The larger oil filled bushing you can buy separately and have it pressed in and out. The alignment should be done for it to be ideal and prevent uneven tire wear. It changed the alignment on my car.
Old 08-18-15, 11:05 AM
Live4brew
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by writes123
Night and day.

My car had leaking front air struts and cracked front LCA bushings. Over any road imperfections, the car would shake and rattle and the steering wheel would shake uncontrollably. I was regretting my decision to purchase this used car while this was happening. Once I got my struts and bushings, I hoped that the steering vibration and unsettled ride would stop. Thankfully, it did. Note, this was after I replaced and balanced all 4 new tires - Continental PureContacts.

I live in CA, so the roads here are rough. On smooth roads, there was very little to complain about. Rough roads - instant regret and a silent hope that the struts and bushings would resolve the problem or else I would most likely try to sell it. It was that bad.

Now, it's a smooth highway cruiser, especially since I swapped my 18 to 16 inch wheels with brand new Primacy MXV4's which a little bit smoother and quieter than my new Continental PureContact 18".
How did you figure out it was the LCA Bushings? I'm having horrible shaking while on gravel road (and also while braking at highway..I've ordered new rotors, but certainly seems that there is a compounding problem considering it happens at low speed on gravel without braking). Where did you get the bushings?