LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Clunking noise when hitting bumps...which parts needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 08:44 AM
sshu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise when hitting bumps...which parts needed?

The car makes this clunking noise when hitting bumps(speed bumps, driveways, etc) at low speeds.

I had 2 mechanic look at the car. Both agree that it is the lower control arm bushing but there are 2 bushings. The first mechanic said that changing the bushing only should be sufficient part # 48655. The second guys said that the issue could also be the control arm itself because it has a bushing also but is unsure but he agrees that part # 48655 needs to be changed. I'm hesitant to do only the bushing because what if that doesn't cure the issue and I paid for an alignment for no reason? I'm not sure I want to buy the control arm either because it's pretty expensive.

Also if I only change 48655, do I need to buy any other parts associated with it?

Below is a catalog pic of the parts.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S430-2004.html
Old 04-07-14, 07:08 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's gonna be a tough one for anybody to answer with confidence without being able to examine the car.
Old 04-07-14, 09:56 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I would make the mechanic agree upfront that the prescribed fix is actually going to resolve the problem you brought it in there for and get that in writing.

You could also just have that single bushing replaced and not get an alignment done until you've made certain that was the repair that got rid of the noise.

A lot of this comes down to trust and the fact that sometimes mechanics throw parts at a car. Suspension noises are hard to isolate.

I had an ES making a really bad creaking noise over bumps. I tried to isolate it, but couldn't. A shop said it was my rear struts, $1,200 for them to do it. I did a little more trouble shooting and it ended buy being a $30 bushing I did myself in about 30 minutes. The struts were fine, they were just guessing.

Last edited by BradTank; 04-07-14 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-07-14, 10:22 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

this might be a shot in the dark, but does it almost sound like its coming from the door?
Old 04-07-14, 11:52 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Could easily be the lower ball joint - a simple DIY.
Old 04-07-14, 11:56 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

How many miles on car?

For us LS400 owners, we began seeing front suspension bushing wear as early as 60K miles. By 100K+ miles it was pretty common to have some of the bushings replaced. By 200K a given that it needs to be done. Ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends...etc.

Uneven tire wear will also be one of the symptoms related to worn suspension bushings accompanied by noises as you described.
Old 04-07-14, 01:01 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
I would make the mechanic agree upfront that the prescribed fix is actually going to resolve the problem you brought it in there for and get that in writing.
I have never heard anyone being able to get that kind of commitment from a mechanic. Have you been successful with that approach?
Old 04-07-14, 01:26 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
I have never heard anyone being able to get that kind of commitment from a mechanic. Have you been successful with that approach?
Yes, I have. I don't think it's too much to ask for a commitment that what they're saying needs to be replaced is the real issue and they're not just throwing parts at it with guesses.

I had an intermittent issue where my LS would sometimes not start and would once in a while randomly stall out at a stop light. No trouble codes, no other symptoms. Tried some small things but still had the issue.

The Lexus dealer said they were "pretty sure" it needed a new fuel pump after they troubleshooted. I asked them could they guarantee that would fix my issue, and they said if it didn't they would basically eat all the labor and just charge me for the part itself at a discount.

In the end, they were correct, I was happy with the service and price for the repair, but I absolutely would have held them to that as you shouldn't pay $100 an hour for a mechanic guessing at what's wrong with your car.

I don't necessarily expect a 100% rebate if they make an educated guess that turns out to be wrong, but I would press them for some sort of guarantee for a resolution if they're incorrect.
Old 04-07-14, 01:55 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Good to know. I might give that a try in the future.
Old 04-07-14, 03:14 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree wit Bob.......impossible question to answer without actually diagnosing the car......and i have yet to see a mechanic that will guarantee a fix, as it could be numerous things.....all of which may look or seem to be worn or damaged.
Old 04-07-14, 04:45 PM
sshu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. The car is a 02 with 95k miles. I'm pretty confident that it's the bushing because I saw it with the mechanic and it needs to be changed. The bushings that are part of control arm seemed like in better condition but who really knows. I think I will have him change just the bushings (part # 48655) and then see if the control arms needs to be changed afterwards.

Just to confirm, do I need any other parts associated with changing part #48655?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-07-14, 06:28 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sshu
Thanks for the input. The car is a 02 with 95k miles. I'm pretty confident that it's the bushing because I saw it with the mechanic and it needs to be changed. The bushings that are part of control arm seemed like in better condition but who really knows. I think I will have him change just the bushings (part # 48655) and then see if the control arms needs to be changed afterwards.

Just to confirm, do I need any other parts associated with changing part #48655?

Thanks for the help.
The mechanic will have to "press" out the old bushings and press in the new bushings. No additional parts are needed. My mechanic replaced my front LCA bushings a few weeks ago with 123k. He advised that the front LCA bushings are usually replaced by 100k due to wear and tear especially the front ones.
Old 04-07-14, 06:36 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

How much difference in the ride did you notice?
Old 04-08-14, 12:35 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
How much difference in the ride did you notice?
Night and day.

My car had leaking front air struts and cracked front LCA bushings. Over any road imperfections, the car would shake and rattle and the steering wheel would shake uncontrollably. I was regretting my decision to purchase this used car while this was happening. Once I got my struts and bushings, I hoped that the steering vibration and unsettled ride would stop. Thankfully, it did. Note, this was after I replaced and balanced all 4 new tires - Continental PureContacts.

I live in CA, so the roads here are rough. On smooth roads, there was very little to complain about. Rough roads - instant regret and a silent hope that the struts and bushings would resolve the problem or else I would most likely try to sell it. It was that bad.

Now, it's a smooth highway cruiser, especially since I swapped my 18 to 16 inch wheels with brand new Primacy MXV4's which a little bit smoother and quieter than my new Continental PureContact 18".
Old 04-08-14, 04:11 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Awesome. My ride isn't bad, but I'd like to return it to new. I'm considering replacing the struts, even though none are leaking. After your experience, I'll probably do the bushings also. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise when hitting bumps...which parts needed?