LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New guy - help pls =) - control arm and bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 07:20 PM
leboose
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New guy - help pls =) - control arm and bushings

Hi everybody, recently I've bought a LS400 (99) for my wife to commute in. Really nice car I've been lurking for a month or so now and trying to wrap my head around the cars suspension. I had a mechanic inspect the car and he came back with some bad news. Everything is supposed to be great with the car, but the front control arms are on the worn side. Supposedly there are two lower control arms per wheel and the parts are obscenely expensive. I was quoted $1600 for parts + work, $1100 being the parts.

I've checked the parts and it seems its the whole friggin control arm instead of just the bushings which actually go bad. So, naturally, I checked ebay and pretty quickly found the ROCA bushings but people here have had mixed feelings about those. Supposedly FIGS are better. Thing is - I have no idea where you guys buy parts, because most of those links to parts are dead :/

Also, I'm not entirely sure those bushings would fit and if I'm even looking at the right ones =)
I have a bmw, and they have a nice page like this: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do where you can drill down to what you need - is there anything like that for my car?

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in

Last edited by RA40; 10-19-15 at 10:55 AM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 10-18-15, 09:52 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Its the right forum. You need to wait for someone that is into that year and has dealt with the lower control arm bushings. So where are those expensive parts from? Dealer?
Old 10-19-15, 07:40 AM
leboose
Rookie

My guess would be oem lexus parts, but the guy inspecting the car wasn't a lexus mechanic - it's a independent shop near my house =)
Old 10-19-15, 11:28 PM
leboose
Rookie

Guyse pls ...

Old 10-20-15, 05:10 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

There is only 1 lower arm per front wheel and 1 upper arm per front wheel. Here is where I get my OEM parts but you still need to look around for alternatives to some of the pricey OEM stuff.
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19107
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...ttype=10401&ck[year_1995]=true&ck[mkt_US]=true&ck[mkt_EU]=false&ck[mkt_CA]=true&ck[mkt_MX]=false&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=ea804mqkeeh9ri7tchd585j0e4

Last edited by sha4000; 10-20-15 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-20-15, 05:33 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Read this thread.https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ntrol-arm.html
Old 10-20-15, 08:50 PM
leboose
Rookie

Hey, thanks for the link - i remember rockauto from when I was looking for some parts for my e30 =D
However, I cant find the lower control arm on this site - only the upper one. Is it not under suspension? Am I being an idiot? =D
Old 10-23-15, 04:27 PM
leboose
Rookie

I've had some other issues pop up recently, the car drained the battery in 10min with the (xenon) lights and radio on. While I know xenons sap power like crazy - 10min is very quick. The car wouldn't even start. Had to jump it. The other problem is that the car is throwing a CEL, obd2 says P0440 something with the emissions system. Thats all lol. And the car vibrates considerably around 70mph - could be wheel adjustment or the shot bushings.

I'll test the battery this weekend, but I don't really have a clue about that emission system problem. I did poke around the engine bay and found a loose hose, which looked like it was rubber one day, but is hard as stone now, but I cant find the part or part number for the life of me =)

Can someone help me with that? How do you find or even better - how to you locate parts and get the part nr. on a lexus? This is so much easier with bmws =D
Old 10-25-15, 11:23 PM
leboose
Rookie

Can someone tell me what this foam coated hose is called? I cant find it anywhere ... Mine is cracked also and i think I'm getting P0440 because of it. The car also starts vibrating at 65mph+ like someone in that tread mentioned.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...load-help.html

Old 10-26-15, 02:14 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

First of all I really wish some agency would crack down on all the ridiculously bright lights on cars now, in the old days there were limits on candle power of lights by the DOT. I just hate being blinded by them, tail lights too. There really is no reason to have a high power head light on a car other than to irritate the head on traffic. Go back to factory stock and eliminate that problem.
Have you checked the gas cap gasket or oring? Vibration could be a wheel out of balance, a cv shaft out of balance like worn cv joint, could be the drive shaft, could be a bad tire with run out or blister or bulge, could be a bent rim.
Old 10-26-15, 07:08 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

The Engine Control Module (ECM) tests the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system for the following conditions:
- Large and small leaks
- Excess vacuum
- Purge flow during non-commanded conditions
- Fuel Level and Fuel Pressure sensor faults
- EVAP Purge and Vent Valve faults
The ECM monitors the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor in order to determine the level of vacuum/pressure in the EVAP system. The ECM commands both the EVAP Purge Solenoid and the EVAP Vent Valve ON when the conditions are met in order to apply an engine vacuum to the EVAP system. The ECM commands the EVAP Purge Solenoid OFF once the system has reached a predetermined level of vacuum. This test verifies if a vacuum can be achieved in the EVAP system. Failure to develop a vacuum may be caused by a large leak or a restriction.
Old 10-26-15, 12:41 PM
leboose
Rookie

Originally Posted by billydpowe
The Engine Control Module (ECM) tests the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system for the following conditions:
- Large and small leaks
- Excess vacuum
- Purge flow during non-commanded conditions
- Fuel Level and Fuel Pressure sensor faults
- EVAP Purge and Vent Valve faults
The ECM monitors the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor in order to determine the level of vacuum/pressure in the EVAP system. The ECM commands both the EVAP Purge Solenoid and the EVAP Vent Valve ON when the conditions are met in order to apply an engine vacuum to the EVAP system. The ECM commands the EVAP Purge Solenoid OFF once the system has reached a predetermined level of vacuum. This test verifies if a vacuum can be achieved in the EVAP system. Failure to develop a vacuum may be caused by a large leak or a restriction.
Thank you Billy. Do you think the above pictured PCV hose and/or grommet could be to blame for a vacuum leak? The grommet looks pretty worn so I've ordered a new one, and the PCV valve for good measure. I can't find the foamed hose anywhere though - mine is hard and brittle, should be replaced.

Originally Posted by dicer
First of all I really wish some agency would crack down on all the ridiculously bright lights on cars now, in the old days there were limits on candle power of lights by the DOT. I just hate being blinded by them, tail lights too. There really is no reason to have a high power head light on a car other than to irritate the head on traffic. Go back to factory stock and eliminate that problem.
Hi dicer! The car came with xenons and they're cut off so they don't blind ongoing traffic. Pretty sure they're stock =D At least when I inspected them, they don't look aftermarket.

Originally Posted by dicer
Have you checked the gas cap gasket or oring? Vibration could be a wheel out of balance, a cv shaft out of balance like worn cv joint, could be the drive shaft, could be a bad tire with run out or blister or bulge, could be a bent rim.
Gas cap is the first I've checked. Oring looks good. I have found the mentioned hose (I'm guessing its the pcv hose, but its not called that to my knowledge) to be significantly loose because the grommet is at the end of its life.

I'll start with the cheap stuff and have the wheels inspected, there is a lot of weights on there. Wheels look good, almost no curb damage, and they look straight. Tires are new, dont look damaged, but I'll check now. I pray to god its not a cv shaft or drive shaft. I've seen the prices on the replacement parts

I did have the car inspected, and the mechanic told me the lower control arm bushings are on their way out - I'm thinking that might cause the vibrating?
Old 10-26-15, 02:43 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

yep, take the o-ring off, turn it over and put it back on..
go to a salvage yard to get the hose, surprised yours cracked..
and yes that could be the leak..
and the bushings can cause the vibration, also check the balance.. and put the bushings in correctly..
Attached Thumbnails New guy - help pls =) - control arm and bushings-srbmk.jpg   New guy - help pls =) - control arm and bushings-001-2-.jpg  
Old 10-28-15, 04:46 PM
leboose
Rookie

Thanks Billy. There is no way to buy that hose? Hope the salvage yard ones won't be in similar condition.

I'm not sure, but I think the image you posted may be from another year? The lower control arms for my model are the ones pictured below (if, not please someone correct me). Can I change the bushings only on these too?

Old 10-28-15, 08:22 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

no it is a 99, just strut rod bushings, sorry.. the lower control arm is 4806950020, and 4906850020 they are 220 each... the vent hose is 1226150021 ... less that 20$
NOW if I can find out this info, why cant you ?? I dont understand .. do you just not put forth the effort?

Quick Reply: New guy - help pls =) - control arm and bushings