LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Dash Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 10:09 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an UL. Believe me I have done it. You have to go from between the door and dash part. If your dash is loose you can move it just enough to access the 2 bolts that hold the tweeter/mid assembly in place.
Old 07-05-13, 07:01 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
I have an UL. Believe me I have done it. You have to go from between the door and dash part. If your dash is loose you can move it just enough to access the 2 bolts that hold the tweeter/mid assembly in place.
So you went as far as removing the reinforcement bar bolts?
  1. Three on the Driver side
  2. Two under the guages
  3. Two on the right

I'm afraid of moving it that much due to the tons of harnesses/connectors back there with the mounts, i'm afraid to break them when i don't see them and have them loose and vibrate under the dash.

Did you have to remove the A pillar cover to have room for the dash to move?
Old 07-05-13, 09:59 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No I didnt move the support bar. I had removed enough of the bolts that held the dash cover in place that I could wiggle it around. I couldnt pull it completely out but I could wiggle it so I could get a path to the tweeter.
Old 07-07-13, 10:45 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

OK, I finished it yesterday and put everything back together, started the car up and played some Within Temptation. I didn't think it was going to make that big of a difference and boy was I wrong. It was worth the trouble and i'm glad I went ahead and powered through and replaced the drivers side because If I didn't, the tone, treble, loudness would not have matched and I would have had to pull everything out and end up stuck at the same spot again.

I didn't use the 12" extender but the smallest rachet with a wobble and 10mm socket, that was the easiest, be careful not to drop the nut because it's very easy to do that. Luckily I found it hanging on top of all the crap on that side.

BTW, the A pillar removal is the 2nd worst, it took me about as long to pull one side as it did to remove the driver tweeter! After you see how it's connected, the 2nd A pillar removal is easiest but still difficult.

I'm going to replace the rest of the speakers in the car. Next mod is going to be air suspension, most likely the Airlift with a 6 Gallon Pancake tank hidden in the spare wheel area. No more need to buy the latest LS
Old 07-07-13, 10:56 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

For Reference, this is how the A pillar looks underneath.

Old 07-07-13, 11:01 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Also, Luckily I picked one of these up from Costco as an experiment to see how it would cool me when I worked on the car in the garage. I ended up having to work on the car outside to have room to place dash parts and seats in the garage. It's been awesome, way better than just a fan.

A/C Window Unit
Old 07-07-13, 11:38 AM
rrgone
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the dash out after removing the A Pillar garnishes? Or did you just loosen it enough to get to the speakers? If you pulled it on out did you take another picture? I'd like to see what it looks like down to the support frame. Good job and thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 07-07-13, 11:54 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rrgone
Did you get the dash out after removing the A Pillar garnishes? Or did you just loosen it enough to get to the speakers? If you pulled it on out did you take another picture? I'd like to see what it looks like down to the support frame. Good job and thanks for taking the time to post.
I had to remove the A-Pillar, You'll end up breaking that plug so order a new set. Once I did that, the dash was really easy to pull away from the firewall, I had to pull and hold it while feeling around for the nut, placing the ratchet in there, then adjust it to get the socket over the nut, then pull a little more so I had enough room to turn the ratchet. The dash wants to go back to where it was at.

You can pull it out about 2-3 inches, not any further because there are still ECU's and harnesses attached to the bottom side of the dash, mostly the middle behind the navigation..

Don't forget to unplug the air channel temp sensors so you don't pull the harness on accident.

There are also two 14mm screws that hold the passenger dash airbag down to the reinforcement frame that you must remove before pulling the dash.

As for the passenger tweeter, I just pulled the vent tube and folded it down to get access to the nut on the front. You can't access it directly from underneath so you'll have to use the small ratchet again.
Old 07-07-13, 07:26 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats great job on the speakers!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-14, 06:29 AM
98LSUK
Driver School Candidate

hi guys - im from the UK and my passenger side tweeter is crackling - can you tell me is it possible to replace this without taking the dash apart - or atleast im thinking of just disconnecting it - theres no way i can remove the dash - i will wreck the car - remember our steering is on the right hand side of the car.

many thanks for your help