LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel Question, Am I Right Or Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 08:24 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Caniac14
Hey everyone. So my wife, and her parents, and everyone else she has "talked" to about it, say there wouldn't be an issue running 87 in my 1996 LS400 instead of 93(I religiously run V-Power)
She says, imagine how much money we could save if you used regular instead of premium.

I tell her, I trust what the people that make the car say, and they say premium unleaded only. The only thing I know "scientific" about the subject is that different grades combust slightly different but I don't know exactly how, and how to explain it to her properly?

I am more than certain I am right, so can someone give me a definite yes to the subject, possibly with some science/facts/data backing it up.

And if I am wrong, please educate me.

I need the answer to be definitive as possible so she can finally stop nagging me about the issue.

I love my LS, and I only put the best in her, so I wouldn't dream of putting anything other than V-power in her unless it was absolutely 100% ok to do otherwise.
And if your wife reduced the temperature on the stove while cooking, she would also save on the gas or electric bill, right?
I tried this once and there was absolutely no money to save. You have to step harder on the gas pedal to compensate for the energy loss due to changed timing of ignition. Besides, knock sensor are known to go slowly, almost impercetably, and you are risking your entire engine with such a decision. Not that it must hurt in the long run, but it will not save anything.
Or put it this way; why would people who designed one of the best cars ever, and who are not in the business of selling gas tell you to use more expensive gas? Just to spite you?