LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Another Gen I suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 06:34 AM
priestsls4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Gen I suspension ?

have a 91 ls4 that recently eclipsed the 1/4 million mark. she is all stock. she has been around the block a few times and has suffered the typical ills (brakes, power stearing, climate control LCD, switches and lights....and of course, suspension).

She still rolls with the stock air (of course, I have to assume that there have been some parts replaced; however, it has never been converted to coil over or aftermarket air). She rolls, as expected into and out of turns and takes the bumps in grand ls fashion...except the big ones...they're pretty rough....and all four corners are leaking....though only the right rear is bad enough that she leans over at night when she sits for longer than a day.

with all that said, I am looking for some good advice. I really like her...and I like her just like when I fawned after her over 20 years ago....hence, I would like to maintain the stock appearance and ride as best I can.

So, what am I looking at? can I get a replacement air suspension that is reliable and somewhat reasonable? since everything seems to be operating faily well, is replacing the whole system crazy? can I get replacement air struts that will be a fairly easy exchange? should I just buck up and get coil overs? if so, what will be the closest to the stock ride?

I know practically all of you have made this decision already and have experienced the successes and failures...it is just hard to sort though so many difference posts with so many different perspectives....I just want some advice about whether I should take on the air....?

thanks in adance for any help you can offer!
Old 11-07-11, 06:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

buying some KYB shocks, oem springs (off a forum member or junk yard, shouldn't be more than $100-150/set at ALL), and new top mounts(may as well), then kill power the the air compressor and you have the cheapest way to get back to a factory ride when your AS dies. There's not a HUGE difference in ride quality as far as i can tell between a 20 year old+ air suspension system vs. a brand new spring/shock. Personally I'd roll with it until the bags blow, then swap to conventional as i described.

you'll never really get exactly oem quality ride with coils or lowering springs, if that's what you want.
Old 11-07-11, 10:20 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

^ agreed. just go with OEM shocks and springs off a non-AS car and you should get the OEM suspension feel. this is the most economical solution, unless you have lots of money to get another set of air struts (not to mention your air management will need replacement soon after as well). anything else (coilovers, aftermarket springs, etc) will have higher spring rate and will result in a firmer ride.
Old 11-07-11, 03:26 PM
KMinAF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Source for air suspension parts

I second the idea of going with spring struts because one corner is only the begining with air struts. Keep in mind that the other three are just as old and just as tired. Here is a good source for air struts:
http://www.arnottindustries.com/
Old 11-08-11, 07:26 AM
priestsls4
Driver School Candidate

Default great help....one more request!

thanks everyone...looking up shocks and springs now....

although I am with you on dragging it out til it blows...I usually park the old girl in the winter and drive my jeep...hence, I am preparing to make this my winter project....yank and replace as time and temps permit!

anyone out there have some good OEM shocks they would like to offer up?
Old 11-08-11, 08:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

new KYBs are your best bet, no reason at all to replace 20 year old air suspension with 20year old oem shocks...
Old 11-08-11, 09:09 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Here's a writeup on the air to spring conversion for a Gen1:
http://lextreme.com/ascon.html
Old 11-08-11, 10:44 AM
priestsls4
Driver School Candidate

you guys are great! checking out KYBs right now!
Old 11-08-11, 11:01 AM
crowe
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

..just had some kyb's installed on my 98 to replace the air suspensions last week. Im happy, you don't feel the car floating anymore since its a bit firmer now
Old 11-08-11, 12:33 PM
crowe
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

..some pics i took.
Attached Thumbnails Another Gen I suspension ?-img_0743-2-.jpg   Another Gen I suspension ?-img_0713-1-.jpg   Another Gen I suspension ?-img_0714-1-.jpg   Another Gen I suspension ?-img_0736-1-.jpg  
Old 11-09-11, 05:49 AM
priestsls4
Driver School Candidate

okay, I found the Excel-G Strut 341159 @kyboutlet for 86 and the mounts for around 45...

how do you all feel about used mounts and coils?
Old 11-09-11, 06:07 AM
priestsls4
Driver School Candidate

also...obviously I wont know until I get her up...but how do you feel about replacing bushings, joints, arms, bars, etc...

remember, this is a winter project....figure that while I have her up and apart....may as well cover my bases!
Old 11-09-11, 08:26 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by priestsls4
also...obviously I wont know until I get her up...but how do you feel about replacing bushings, joints, arms, bars, etc...

remember, this is a winter project....figure that while I have her up and apart....may as well cover my bases!
When I did mine ('91 at 170k miles), I did not want to have the car out of service for a while (rented spring compressor, forgetting how to put it back together, needing a car, ...) so I tried to inspect things first. You can see the condition of the boots pretty well. The bumpers maybe. The mounts, not at all. I did the best I could at pre-inspection, bought all the parts I thought I needed, and ended up installing them all even though many of the ones I took off were just fine. And there was one plastic washer thing that goes between the boot and the bumper that was broken and I did not have a replacement for. Also, replacing all that stuff is actually pretty easy if you've got the right tools, and once you figure out the little tricks. So having to go back in later would not worry me.

If you're already planning to take it out of service for a while, I'd recommend waiting until you have it apart. At that point, you'll be able to see and inspect everything a lot better.

When I did mine, I also replaced the front strut bar bushings (or whatever they're called), but as it turns out, there is little overlap between the jobs other than jacking it up and removing the wheels.