LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

On the fence about air suspension on L430 UL, need recommendations and parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-16, 06:30 PM
LinuxLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question On the fence about air suspension on L430 UL, need recommendations and parts

I recently purchased a 2002 LS430 Ultra Luxury. One of the rear air bags is blown out, and as a result the car is completely undrivable (both sides slammed to the ground).

I bought the car partly because of the comfort, and the adjustable suspension is an interesting feature to me. I don't really want to pay $1,000+ per side in parts alone to replace the air suspension as it goes out, but it feels criminal to take out the air suspension and replace it with non-air suspension.

So my question is, are there any aftermarket air kits of similar quality that plug in to the existing system? I don't want those ones that come with their own controller, I'd prefer to keep the car as stock as possible. If there aren't any decent after market ones, where's the cheapest place to get OEM ones that aren't used? Does anyone refurbish the air shocks? If this is something I should give up on, what suspension components should I get to replace all four with anyway?

It seems really odd that there hasn't been a solution yet. I've spent hours searching the forums and Google on this topic, and I keep running into people immediately giving up and swapping out the air ride.
Old 10-01-16, 07:42 PM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At the moment there are no places that I know of that are currently refurbishing our air struts since I have started looking into this for a couple of months now. My air struts aren't bad yet, but I am preparing to do a conversion at some point to either coil overs or go aftermarket air. You have a couple of options which is to do a stock and shock combo, lowering spring and shock combo, coil overs, or aftermarket air. Another option is to buy a used strut that is in good working order and swap that into your car to get you going back on the road again. I hope that helps get you started.
Old 10-02-16, 10:54 AM
LinuxLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by legend921
You have a couple of options which is to do a stock and shock combo, lowering spring and shock combo, coil overs, or aftermarket air. Another option is to buy a used strut that is in good working order and swap that into your car to get you going back on the road again. I hope that helps get you started.
Is eBay the best place to buy the used air shocks? What about converting to non-air OEM shocks, do you know what part numbers would have to be ordered to do that? I'm considering calling up my local Toyota dealer and asking them how much a new rear air bag for one side would be. Buying a used component that has a limited lifespan concerns me a little bit, but maybe it's the best financial move.
Old 10-02-16, 04:30 PM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember that there is a post of a member on here that is selling their struts. You can check it out in the marketplace for the LS430. If you go to the FAQs at the top of the page, there is a section for air to conventional spring conversion. If you search as well there are numerous threads that covers this. One that came up recently since last month should have all the parts number. Another member swapped everything out for a stock conventional set up.
Old 10-02-16, 05:38 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by legend921
I remember that there is a post of a member on here that is selling their struts. You can check it out in the marketplace for the LS430. If you go to the FAQs at the top of the page, there is a section for air to conventional spring conversion. If you search as well there are numerous threads that covers this. One that came up recently since last month should have all the parts number. Another member swapped everything out for a stock conventional set up.
The UL is an expensive car to maintain which I assume you know by now. Your best bet is to research all and every post/trhreads that are on this forum.. There is a wealth of info to help you and possibly save you many dollars.. Good luck to you and enjoy a great car...
Old 10-03-16, 08:38 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing I would do is replace the blown unit with a used one.

Several low mileage ones are listed in the classified forum.

I have a 2001 ls430ul, and the bags worked until well over 200k miles.

This will allow you to enjoy the car and prepare for whatever direction you decide.

I actually replaced mine with oem mechanicals, and am well satisfied with the ride.

Alan
Old 10-03-16, 11:14 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LinuxLexus
Is eBay the best place to buy the used air shocks? What about converting to non-air OEM shocks, do you know what part numbers would have to be ordered to do that? I'm considering calling up my local Toyota dealer and asking them how much a new rear air bag for one side would be. Buying a used component that has a limited lifespan concerns me a little bit, but maybe it's the best financial move.
Have you searched the CL classifieds? Here's 4 OE air shocks asking $500 + shipping. > https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3ge...work-fine.html
Old 10-04-16, 07:39 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

craigslist......twice now i've gone to Craigslist and had no trouble finding used OEM air struts. About 100 bucks or so each depending on condition.

Some guy in Japan was selling used air struts and I ordered from him but when he went to ship it, Japan Post said he couldn't ship a pressurized item out of the country. Typical Japanese bureaucrat. Unfortunate, because Japan market used cars are usually well cared for and quite low miles.
Old 10-04-16, 11:37 AM
Calicraig2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 4 used struts that I replaced recently when I switched to adjustable coil overs... They were all functional and I would sell them all for 200.00 plus shipping,,, They didn't leak (I just wanted to lower my 03 and get a stiffer ride)... PM me if you are interested at all...