LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine Rot?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 09:53 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youre gunna need tires for sure.

just make sure everything checks out.

not to add another point of conjecture, I really hope you get this going on the cheap side. and hope your guy is right.

going to stay on a positive note......congrats!

let us know how it turns out. im rooting for you. hope its running for under $200.

again, let us know how it goes.
Old 09-08-11, 08:06 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by NTRUDA
IT'S A DONE DEAL FOR $2000!!!!!!

I am glad but am I wrong for not telling him that it doesn't have a BHG and the ECU works ok???
Yes you're wrong for not telling him, you're a thief. Nah I'm just kiddin'. You absolutely did the right thing for not telling him. You're the one buying it and you want to get it as cheap as you can. So if it actually doesn't have the problems that he thinks it has then it's his loss. But, I'd still be sketchy on the head gasket, somebody told him it was bad. When you checked it out, how long did you let it run and how many miles (if any) did you drive it? Did you beat on it to try to get it to overheat so you could see if the gasket was shot? Hope it all works out for ya, if not your mechanic has alot of work ahead of him. Keep us informed and good luck.
Old 09-08-11, 05:01 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Yes you're wrong for not telling him, you're a thief. Nah I'm just kiddin'. You absolutely did the right thing for not telling him. You're the one buying it and you want to get it as cheap as you can. So if it actually doesn't have the problems that he thinks it has then it's his loss. But, I'd still be sketchy on the head gasket, somebody told him it was bad. When you checked it out, how long did you let it run and how many miles (if any) did you drive it? Did you beat on it to try to get it to overheat so you could see if the gasket was shot? Hope it all works out for ya, if not your mechanic has alot of work ahead of him. Keep us informed and good luck.
Whew!!!..I'm glad that u think I'm not a thief!!! When my mechanic and I first got the car, we let it idle for 15 minutes and put all of the neccessary load on it (a/c, heat, radio, accessories). We then drove it for about 10 miles and was checking to see if any codes would pop up. BTW, we did bring a new battery to start the car. I was particularly concerned about the ECU, but it worked normal and even though the fluids had been in there for a minute, the temp gauge was normal. After we finished our drive, we let it idle for another 15 minutes with the load on it and it didn't over heat or through any codes. I might just change the all of the gaskets anyway just for a piece of mind and I most definitely will change all of the bushings and check the shocks and struts, and of course the tires. I'll keep you all informed about the progress I'm making.
Old 09-09-11, 09:11 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NTRUDA
the temp gauge was normal. After we finished our drive, we let it idle for another 15 minutes with the load on it and it didn't over heat or through any codes.
You should be all set with the head gasket, with all you did it doesn't sound like it's bad at all. If it was bad it would have over heated at idle and the temp gauge would have gone crazy. (not reading right) It would have gone all the way up after a minute of idle, then gradually drop to cold, and so on. Make sure you find out when the timing belt was done, or even if it was done. Keep up with all the regular and preventive maintanence on it and you'll be happy with it for a long time.
Old 09-15-11, 07:42 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

I finally had a chance to thoroughly go thru the service history and I am glad to say that the owner did all the required interval maintenance. This was a Cali car so the servie history is pretty detailed.

The timing belt, wp, etc was done back in 2/06 at the 95k required interval.
The ECU was R&R at the 5K interval on 5/95;
The center console box was R&R @ 2255 2/95;
The Front Console Box& Shift Lever Subassembly was R&R @10K interval 9/95.
Eng. ECM, CR Control, R&R 3/97;
Instrument Louver R&R 1/2000
Rear Carrier Bushings R&R @ 74,895m 10/03
At 89,342m EGR Pipe-R&R as Goodwill Service; Resealed P/S Pump; Replaced FRT Lower Ball Joints 4/05.

One thing that I did notice is that he was getting front break pads replaced every other serivce interval, so perhaps he had a heavy foot or something was going on with either the suspension or the brake system. He had all of the required fluid flushes done and there isn't any major repairs to the brakes. Ironically the valve cover gaskets were replaced at the same time that the TB & WP was done but the gasket had long failed when I got it. Makes me wonder if the part was put in correctly or the part was cheap? Any Lexus owner's in Cali had their car serviced @ DCH LEXUS of OXNARD? Was your experience good or bad?
Old 09-15-11, 08:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Glad this worked out...enjoy!
Old 09-16-11, 09:38 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Default Beck/Arnley OE Fluids

I have been using Beck/Arnley Parts for a minute and I wanted to trying their new line of OE Fluid in the new Lexus I brougt. I'll basically be using their coolant, and transmission fluid; I'll be using AMSOIL for the oil, differential, brake fluid, and their oil filters. I don't know if you all know about Beck/Arnley new OE Fluid line but just wanted to let u all know how things are progressing with the Lexus....
Attached Thumbnails Engine Rot?????-beck-arnley-fluids.jpg  
Old 09-17-11, 12:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

why this fluid in specific?
given that the going rate for their T-IV comp fluid (252-2002) is roughly the same price of regular T-IV and it's supposed to be the same, why would you buy this?

Mobil makes toyota's T-IV (JWS 3309 spec) so personally i'd stick to mobil's stock fluid or similar.
Old 09-17-11, 06:40 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Hey, thanks for the "heads up" on a new product, I wouldn't have heard about it otherwise. Maybe I'll give it a try when it's time to do my fluids. Somebody has to test it to get some first hand results, right.?
Old 09-18-11, 10:58 AM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
why this fluid in specific?
given that the going rate for their T-IV comp fluid (252-2002) is roughly the same price of regular T-IV and it's supposed to be the same, why would you buy this?

Mobil makes toyota's T-IV (JWS 3309 spec) so personally i'd stick to mobil's stock fluid or similar.
I hear what u are saying PureDrifter and I respect your opinion. Although Mobil makes this, I've just been using BECK/ARNLEY products longer and I've had no issues with their products, customer service, etc. I will keep an open mind and maybe one day try Mobil's product somewhere down the line. I am considering using just AMSOIL fluids for everything, but I want to try BECK/ARNLEY and see how well it works and pass the results on to CL Memebers who may want to try this product.
Old 09-18-11, 01:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

What type of numbers/$ are we talking between the Toyota and the Beck Arney fluids?

For us Cali peeps and especially So. Cal (Home of Toyota) hitting up a Toyota dealer is just as easy as finding an O'reilly or Auto Zone shop. Obviously in other areas of the country, the hunt may be different.