LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A series of possibly daft questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 01:52 PM
MaccyD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A series of possibly daft questions

So i recently picked up an LS400 for an engine conversion (using the 1UZ). I was fortunate enough to pick one up pretty cheap so am now looking to prepare for a conversion into a 200sx and have a couple of questions.

First and most importantly I need to get hold of a 1UZ ECU pinout diagram for a 1996 R reg LS400 (UK). This is all i used before from an engine point of view to wire a conversion. Ive done a search on google and it doesnt seem to be turning up the right stuff. When i did the soarer engine i searched JZZ30 which helped so was wondering what the chassis code for one of these is?

Also i will be fortunate enough to be taking out the engine (sort of obvious) which means i will have easy access to the whole thing. So im wondering what, other than the obvious gaskets and hoses here and there, should i look out for and/or use the chance to replace/refurb. The engine will be out of the engine for a few months so time isnt a problem.

Ok ill keep going while im on a roll and thinking of more things. This is something i doubt most will have ever bothered as its not really a lightweight performance car, but can i get an auxiliary belt for an engine without air con? Its a pain to transfer and yeah, weight.

Another one, is it very common to do a manual conversion? Could do with a bit of advice on the wiring involved.

I think that will do me for now :-) sorry if the answers are common and searchable, i just got carried away while i was writing the post. Hope you guys can help.

A final note, unless im missing something, is it £40 to become a member? Or is the gold club something else. Id like to be able to sell the parts from the shell and noted that it was common that the backlights went on alot of the gauges/stereo/dials but mine are all fully working so think some people could find some use out of the parts.

Phew, sorry for the essay, many thanks in advance for any help

George
Old 11-28-11, 03:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to Clublexus, i'll try to hit the major points of your first post.

first off click the Newbie thread and the UCF20/21 FAQ at the top of the forum, many of your questions will be answered there. using the Search feature will answer the rest of your questions aside from some of the finer points i'm listing below.

-wiring for the 95 and 96 ls400s (for the engine) should be identical for the most part, either year's wiring diagrams will work for you.

-aside from doing the timing belt (95+ engines are interference so don't muck it up) and water pump, either block off or replace the EGR tube on the back of the engine, it's prone to corroding/leaking with age and is a nightmare to get to. valve cover gaskets leak as well in some cases.

-you may be able to get a belt, but you would have to size it yourself and likely try out a few sizes before you get one that fits right without the compressor. www.lextreme.com/forums is a popular place for 1uz swaps and may have more swap specific answers for you.

-manual trans conversions have been covered, search.

ClubLexus does not offer premium memberships at this time, only established members may part cars out in accordance with the following rules:
Car Part Outs
There are two authorized vendors that can part out cars (Aliga and RJ Distrib). Other than the vendors, only established CL members with more than 500 posts and greater than one year of membership are allowed to part out a car, and only under certain circumstances as defined below. Part outs should be posted in the appropriate model classified forum, not vehicles classifieds.
a) Multiple vehicle part-outs are not allowed.... it's a one time event meant for a Lexus that is disabled due to accident or one you've bought to use major pieces on your own car and are selling the rest. Buying a car specifically to part it out here is reserved for the two vendors above.
b) All individual part sales and prices should be posted on the forum so we know no one is getting ripped off by sales of the same item to other members and there is no auction activity.
c) No price gouging
d) Unknown / lightly known member partouts: Due to several scams run on members, these are no longer allowed. Recent joiners, don't even try. If you've had problems following classified forum rules in the past your partout may also be closed.
e) Planning on buying a parts car and taking future orders to sell parts of it? Absolutely not allowed. If you can't support the purchase of the parts car for without the forum support, don't buy it or plan on pre-selling parts here.
Full classifieds rules are here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...-for-sale.html

Last edited by PureDrifter; 11-29-11 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-29-11, 02:59 AM
MaccyD
Driver School Candidate

Ok, bit of a fail on my part, so thanks for going easy on me.

Shame i wont be able to sell any parts but its understandable.

Ill do a bit more research and come back to you with some more precise questions. Thanks for the help
Old 11-29-11, 02:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.
Our FAQ is pretty basic and the Lextreme site has lots of info that can be of benefit in your swap.

There is this discussion using "S13 1uzfe" as a search:
http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/arc.../t-162189.html

This car looks nicely done.
Old 12-05-11, 12:52 AM
MaccyD
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I think i posted up when i was a bit excited so didnt take alot of time to scoure the forums for information when i probably should have.

I picked up an LS400 a week ago with a bit of front end damage and 130k on the clock. Had it on the driveway for a couple of days and someone wanted it for stock car racing and offered me a good price for the shell. So i picked up my 1UZ for a cool £50!! Pretty pleased with that!
Old 12-05-11, 03:44 AM
UKVIP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MaccyD
Ok, bit of a fail on my part, so thanks for going easy on me.

Shame i wont be able to sell any parts but its understandable.

Ill do a bit more research and come back to you with some more precise questions. Thanks for the help
CL is [primarily] a US-based site, so you wouldn't have a massive 'audience' for your parted out car anyway.

For premium membership and the ability to sell parts to UK members, you'd be better off on the Lexus Owners Club forum.