LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 ls400 engine/obd problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 01:50 PM
Joelin88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 ls400 engine/obd problems

First of all, Hi, first time poster and long time lurker here! Thought I might actually set up an account for once and be part of this community

So, I own a 1993 ls400, and I recently (today) had my first issue with it. Was traveling along the road when suddenly the engine starts losing power, and starts "sneezing", cuts out an back again in short interwalls. I kind of panicked and gave it more gas, but the engine didn't provide power at all. So I slowed down and stopped by the road, and 100 feet before I completely stopped the engine dies.
started it back up, engine light on and trc control light on. Tried to rev it, but at full throttle it does not pass 3000rpm. Eventually made it home, drove it in first and second gear at about 2500rpms, still felt like engine had a total of 50hp or something. Home again, I revved it a bit more and the smell coming out of the exhaust smelled odd, more chemical and overall stronger scent, like unburnt gasoline but I'm not sure.
That's the first problem. Quite New at troubleshooting cars overall so I'm having a bit of a hard time to understand what it was. Possibly a position sensor for the camshaft, or the o2-sensor? Maybe just bad misfiring because of the spark plugs?
so, to the second problem. Found a guide how to get the codes from the obd online, so i take a bit of remote-wire from my subwoofer-setup and use that for a jumper-wire in the obd1, set the car in neutral, no a.c. on and no throttle, also battery is 12v and in good shape. Turn on ignition, and nothing. Just normal ignition, no blinking check-engine light. So instead I use a paperclip in the obd, and still nothing. Last thing I tried was the same thing, but with the diagnostics port, located in the engine bay next to the motor. Same thing, just the regular igniton-"screen" with no flashing check-engine light.
called my local service-station but no free time until 2 weeks from now (also gonne be hella expensive, even more so because I live in Sweden where theese cars are rare and labor costs is insane)
I could possibly drive It to the nearest city to another mechanic but I'm not sure if the engine will hold up for that long of an drive.
I have owned this car for 3 months now and it's the first mayor issue ive had. Also, the car has 170000 miles on it. Last service was really long ago but oil and such are good. It also makes it harder because it's imported, And also as mentioned, a "euro-spec" or something, because the instrument cluster are not like those ive seen on pictures or on youtube in the US.
any help or comments are appreciated, I literally have no clue what to do rather than waiting 2-3 weeks to have a mechanic look at it.
thanks in advance

Last edited by Joelin88; 08-09-17 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-09-17, 05:41 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Sounds like a ECU capacitors problem to me.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
Old 08-10-17, 03:59 AM
Joelin88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not working

Hi!

yes, after reading the thread it defenitly sounds like the problem. Obd not working, engine not working properly, ive even encountered things like "limp mode" and the tachometer having it's own life from time to time, which also fits in to the description.
so I took the ecu out and opened it up, to check for corrosion or leaking liquid, but did not find anything. The boards look pristine.
here Is a video I posted showing the board and the capacitors;
https://youtu.be/S8ynMfFPoC4
still no clue what might be the problem. Even going to my local mechanic seems useless now, as people with similar issues (mainly that the obd does not output any codes) have been denied service because of this.
I would not hesitate to send the ecu to lscowboyls for service or take a chanse at buying a new one of ebay, but now as the ecu seems to be in good condition I am clueless.
as I said before, any comments or advice are aprichiated
thanks!
Old 08-11-17, 07:47 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It does sound like ECU problems, but air meter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, Idle air control motor, can all cause some drivability problems like that. And the things you mention can cause problems as well. First the ECU needs to be ruled out for sure.
Old 06-26-18, 01:17 AM
Kram
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
It does sound like ECU problems, but air meter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, Idle air control motor, can all cause some drivability problems like that. And the things you mention can cause problems as well. First the ECU needs to be ruled out for sure.
I have a 1993 ls400 parts car that I purchased for a few parts my1990 ls400 needed this car runs great and is ready for the next owner that can use parts that are still on the car.right now I would get in the car and drive it from ca to ny and not open the hood. I only paid 750.00 so that’s all I want . My number is 5309030390 if this works for someone, just the ecu is worth 1,000.00. And the power train is in great shape. I got the car because it came with only 1 key they were asking 2800.00 but no one would buy without all the keys so after 1 year he called me and that’s how I got the car so cheap.
Old 07-03-18, 06:10 AM
PhilipMidd
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Joelin88, so what was the problem in the end?