LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Joining the dark side . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 09:05 PM
jltibbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Joining the dark side . . .

At least that's the way my friend put it.

My name is Jeremiah, and I just scooped up a 92 LS. From everything I've gathered, this is one hell of a vehicle to own overall. I've had this car now for just a few days, and love it so far.

A little insight as to the title of the thread:

My other vehicle and main project is a 94 Infiniti Q45. I have owned that since 07 and nothing but Nissan/Infiniti since 04. This is definitely outside of my comfort zone when it comes to knowledge of an automobile. I came across this from a friend of mine. I have a little one on the way, and realized that the back seat of a 91 SE-R will not be sufficient in the likes of a rear facing car seat. My friend had mentioned trading his LS a while back. So, when I got the notion to trade the SE-R, I gave him a shout. Two days later, he has a toy, and I have a necessity.

Strangely enough, this is the second two door, four cylinder car that I have traded for a big body V8. (I traded a 96 240SX for the Q45) So, in both situations, I came out on top.

Per the issues with this LS, the leather on both front seats is worn, the digital display above the A/C controls doesn't work, driver side exterior door handle stays up upon entry (goes down with ease, unlike my wife), and a few paint/body issues. None of that is of worry to me. My main two concerns are: the coolant light and A/C. My friend has had this vehicle for two months and said the water pump and thermostat were replaced, but there's a sensor that needed to be replaced as well, but wasn't. I'm not sure as to what sensor he's referring to since the fan kicks on (no overheating) and the gauge works. So to me, that knocks out the coolant temp sensor and the temp sender. Coolant level is good as well. Is there a coolant level sensor by chance?

On to the A/C. I've used climate control before, but the A/C just isn't blowing cold. I haven't heard the clutch kick in, so I'm guessing that its low on/out of freon, just haven't gotten that far into it yet.

Any input is welcome, whether it's good or bad. Here's a pic of the car. Thanks in advance for help/comments/welcoming!

Old 06-11-11, 09:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the car.
My suggestion would be to plug the car in and read any codes it may throw. That will get the obvious ones. Plenty of sensors in these so hunting them down to test will take the better part of your time.

Check the coolant temp sensor and check that the vacuum lines are plugged in and fitting snug.
Old 06-11-11, 09:37 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the ac display has always been a known problem and might need to hunt ebay for a refurb..
Old 06-12-11, 05:27 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great pickup. Regarding the coolant light, make sure that the reservior is full and above the sensor. Most likely the sensor has gone bad and just needs to be replaced (fairly common with the older cars). With the a/c,,you may not like this one. Compressor problems were fairly common and yours may have gone up. Would have the system checked to see if the compressor is bad, or if you just have a leak somewhere in the system. First and foremost,,check to make sure that the fuse is still good. Start simple first, then work out to the harder stuff.
Old 06-12-11, 07:42 PM
jltibbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all the feedback. I will look into the coolant level sensor. I'm in hopes that Beck/Arnley carries the part, but haven't had any luck locating it. Worst case I'll get another brand. I'm really excited about this car, and can't wait to finish up the Q so maybe I can move on to the LS. I have seen some amazing LS's on here. Once again, thanks!