LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Speedometer/Odometer Issues in '93 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 07:49 AM
umichgal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer/Odometer Issues in '93 LS400

I have been searching the forums for the answer to this question, but have had no luck. Hopefully, you all will be able to give me a little insight.

For a while now (over a year), I have been suffering from the typical cold weather issue associated with the early LS400s- no dash lighting on cold mornings until the interior warms up. Also, my gas tank indicator has never really worked (only goes up halfway if full- and only if the car is really warm, ie summer).

None of this has particularly bothered me, since I could use the trip counters to track mileage, etc.

Well, last week, I encountered all new fun- my speedometer started by bouncing all over the place, despite holding constant speed (my cruise continues to work). Then, the speedometer pretty much died, along with the electronic odometer and my trip counters. I say pretty much, because when the car is cold, and the dash lights aren't working, I do see the speedometer actually working. But shortly before the dash lights turn on, the speedometer stops working again. And the odometer has counted a whole 5 miles since last Thursday, despite my 30 mile one-way commute.

So, I started investigating the problem on these forums. My brother is going to do the instrument cluster repairs, which might fix the problem (and at least take care of the cold start problems). But, if that doesn't work, we want to prep for the next attempt.

Based on my research, it seems like the problem might lie in the speed sensor (if not the instrument cluster), since the odometer is also on the fritz. But, like I said, the cruise does work, so I am hesitant to competely point the finger at the speed sensors in the tranny. I know there are also speed sensors on the front wheels- could a breakdown of those cause this situation??

Any advice on this situation would be GREATLY appreciated.