LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Windshield Repair - Small Chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 08:18 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Windshield Repair - Small Chip

Hello,

I have just purchased a used (non-CPO) 2013 LS460L, and the windshield has a small chip on the very bottom.

It's nearly unnoticeable now, but I'm afraid it may expand in the future.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing a tiny chip on the windshield of the LS460?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Windshield Repair - Small Chip-window-chip.jpg  
Old 03-01-16, 09:58 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Well this may be helpful, it may not.

I let small chips go as long as they are out of my field of vision. Anything that gets in my way or out of control gets replaced for $100 as that's the deductible I use for comprehensive coverage on all my cars. Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-16, 10:01 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The Toyota dealership where I have my oil changed repaired the small chips on my windshield. They did an excellent job and they file on my insurance. Didn't cost me a thing.
Old 03-01-16, 02:45 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Get it fixed, most insurance companies will do chip repair for no charge.
Old 03-01-16, 06:32 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a 1 inch crack in mine and got it filled with resin for $60. I called my insurance company (State Farm) and he said they don't cover repairs and I'd need to meet my deductible first. The guy who did mine had 5 stars on Yelp with over 60 reviews. He said if there is no crack, a crack will not appear from a small rock chip or nic. If there is no starburst, you should be fine. Or so that's according to him.
Old 03-01-16, 08:54 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Is the chip on the drivers or passenger side? Most repair places won't repair anything on drivers side (at least that's my experience). But there's always exceptions to that rule.

Here's a repair on the driver side of my RX. It was repaired a little over 2 years ago, and hasn't gotten an worse.

Yes, it's noticeable when I'm driving, but it's minor enough not to be a safety hazard.

Old 03-01-16, 10:06 PM
Corkman
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a small chip in my windshield and pick up one of these at the auto parts store.

Amazon.com: Blue-Star Fix your Windshield Do It Yourself Windshield Repair Kit, Made in USA: Automotive Amazon.com: Blue-Star Fix your Windshield Do It Yourself Windshield Repair Kit, Made in USA: Automotive

Easy $10.00 fix
Old 03-02-16, 09:15 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As stated by others, a chip will become a crack before long. Filling a chip can cost as little as 15 bucks. There's a local auto body shop in my area that charges 15 bucks and another that charges 35. Shop around. Many insurance companies will cover it for free and is cheaper for them than it is to replace an entire windshield when the chip become a crack (and it WILL). A chip can only be filled when there are no runs from that chip. Once it starts to crack (even an 8thh of an inch), it can no longer be filled.
Old 03-02-16, 09:48 AM
jasone36
Instructor

This is great insight, thanks.

I'm going to consider getting it addressed this weekend, before it becomes a bigger problem.
Old 03-02-16, 04:23 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

What's funny is that my previous car attracted small rocks like a magnet. It was pot-marked with crators that gave the moon's surface a run for the money. Something about Hondas/Acuras and the rake of those windows and me constantly driving behind big rigs. I counted fifteen (15) accumulated over ten year's worth of driving before I traded in my car, some large, some small, but none showed signs of cracking or spreading and I never got any of them "fixed."

I was waiting for the first crack to appear before changing and it never came! It was acoustic glass like our cars. So, while I have no dings yet, hopefully they will behave similar to my previous car. I read that fixing them actually tends to increase the chances of cracking due to the additional stress. No idea if that's true or not, but in my case, not fixing them didn't do any harm apparently and some of those crators were almost as old as the car lol.
Old 03-03-16, 08:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
What's funny is that my previous car attracted small rocks like a magnet. It was pot-marked with crators that gave the moon's surface a run for the money. Something about Hondas/Acuras and the rake of those windows and me constantly driving behind big rigs. I counted fifteen (15) accumulated over ten year's worth of driving before I traded in my car, some large, some small, but none showed signs of cracking or spreading and I never got any of them "fixed."

I was waiting for the first crack to appear before changing and it never came! It was acoustic glass like our cars. So, while I have no dings yet, hopefully they will behave similar to my previous car. I read that fixing them actually tends to increase the chances of cracking due to the additional stress. No idea if that's true or not, but in my case, not fixing them didn't do any harm apparently and some of those crators were almost as old as the car lol.
That's certainly unusual. Most dings will spread sooner rather than later, especially cars in colder climates where heating cold glass will stress it. Also driving on pot-holed roads etc.