LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Side Mirror Reverse Drop - On One Side Only?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 10:30 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Side Mirror Reverse Drop - On One Side Only?

Guys,

Not the typical "why don't they drop down" question. Mine do drop down in reverse. Has anyone found a way to only drop the passenger side mirror?

I strongly dislike my driver's mirror dropping down.

I frequently find and park in a space with a curb to the right of the car. And I park close to it to leave maximum space to the car to my left. In order to minimize the door dinging potential. I like the RH mirror to drop so I can put the tires like an an inch or so to the curb.

But I very rarely ever curb park to the left side. It makes it too difficult to get out of the car.

That being said, I look for obstacles out my LH & rear view mirror. I can't see obstacles when the LH mirror is pointing at the ground. Yes, I look at the screen in the car also.

Has anyone found a way to change this? I have not found a setting in the customizable setting menu for this.

7milesout
Old 01-19-15, 04:00 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Haven't heard or seen this setting. Interesting take because I absolutely love the dual tilt on Reverse, especially left side parallel parking or backing into a space. I use corner parking spaces and I get my wheel less than a foot away to maximize room on the pass side to avoid dingers
Old 01-19-15, 04:19 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Put it into reverse, flip to the switch to "L" and adjust it to where you would like to see it (In your case, identical to if you're not in reverse). You can do the same with "R" as long as you're still in reverse.

You just have to keep the switch in either "L" or "R" when you reverse for it to tilt. Keeping it in the center position will make the mirrors do nothing.

This is how you adjust the tilt mirror settings when you reverse.
Old 01-19-15, 05:50 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Interesting. I'll try that. Maybe I'm weird but I really enjoy reading the owner's manual but I don't recall having readthat. I didn't read the whole thing yet. Maybe that's why.
Old 01-20-15, 06:09 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XpediencY
Put it into reverse, flip to the switch to "L" and adjust it to where you would like to see it (In your case, identical to if you're not in reverse). You can do the same with "R" as long as you're still in reverse.

You just have to keep the switch in either "L" or "R" when you reverse for it to tilt. Keeping it in the center position will make the mirrors do nothing.

I know for sure the 4GS does this but I was not aware that the LS did this. I think I have tried in my LS but I am going to try again since you said that.

It is quite odd what features some models share, and some features that are picked or just left out/forgotten about for other models.

-Joe
Old 01-20-15, 08:09 AM
bobflood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XpediencY

This is how it works in the 2014 LS I just got. I did a memory save after I adjusted them. Instructions in manual were pretty confusing. I haven't tried it, but see no reason that DS mirror couldn't be adjusted to not move when put in Reverse. Good luck and report back on results.
Old 01-21-15, 11:56 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bobflood
This is how it works in the 2014 LS I just got. I did a memory save after I adjusted them. Instructions in manual were pretty confusing. I haven't tried it, but see no reason that DS mirror couldn't be adjusted to not move when put in Reverse. Good luck and report back on results.
Does not work on '13

-Joe
Old 02-21-15, 06:38 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Following these instructions did not work for my 2010. Looked in the owner's manual and could find no way to defeat this either.