LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question about ML audio & HDD

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 10:44 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about ML audio & HDD

Hoping maybe someone here can shed some light on this.....

I have a 2008 LS460, came with stock stereo (non-Mark Levinson) and navigation system. It does have the HDD for the navigation. I wanted to upgrade to the Mark Levinson head unit so I could play DVDs and record music to the HDD.

I was able to acquire a ML head unit, had it installed (with non-ML amp and speakers) and everything works fine except the record function to record music to the HDD. When I play a CD, the record buttons show on the screen but they are not hilighted so they can’t be pressed.

Does anyone know how the head unit connects to the HDD? Is there a different wiring harness for ML system than non ML that might have some extra wires?

I was able to get into the service menu, it shows the HDD and lots of space available for music storage, I just can’t get the record buttons to light up.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 12-06-10, 03:38 PM
zeebra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Marky2;

First of all: are you the same Marky Mark with basically the sickest Tundra on TS.com? If so, much respect to you...... I am also a Tundra and LS owner, oh what a feeling!

Anyways, I'm not sure if there is going to be a good answer for you on this question, but I remember that there was some kind of Auto-Record feature you can set up in the basic settings menu, and when that is set to 'yes', then it will always record a new CD when you put it in, and maybe that is why your record buttons might be blanked-out?

Have you tried putting in a few CDs and playing through a few whole songs on them and then check the HDD menu for those songs/album to show up?
If they arent showing up, then yeah there might be some kind of deeper technical issue with the upgrade you did.

A solution you might try to track down would be to actually use an ML amp. I recall that when my ML amp blew out (almost all of our LS's have done this), there was mayhem with the stereo altogether. There was no way to bypass the amp and still get the stereo to work until a new ML amp was installed to replace the blown one (fortunately mine was warratee-ed). It seemed to be tied-in somehow to the operation of the head unit via computer code which is far beyond my ability to troubleshoot.....
In other words, the stereo seemed to need to talk to the amp to make sure it could work alright, and with a non-ML amp, that communication may be lost?

Good Luck-
Zee
Old 12-06-10, 04:52 PM
jimmyford1
Driver

The record to disc feature was discontinued on the LS starting with the 2008 model.
Old 12-06-10, 05:43 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by zeebra
Hey Marky2;

First of all: are you the same Marky Mark with basically the sickest Tundra on TS.com? If so, much respect to you...... I am also a Tundra and LS owner, oh what a feeling!

Anyways, I'm not sure if there is going to be a good answer for you on this question, but I remember that there was some kind of Auto-Record feature you can set up in the basic settings menu, and when that is set to 'yes', then it will always record a new CD when you put it in, and maybe that is why your record buttons might be blanked-out?

Have you tried putting in a few CDs and playing through a few whole songs on them and then check the HDD menu for those songs/album to show up?
If they arent showing up, then yeah there might be some kind of deeper technical issue with the upgrade you did.

A solution you might try to track down would be to actually use an ML amp. I recall that when my ML amp blew out (almost all of our LS's have done this), there was mayhem with the stereo altogether. There was no way to bypass the amp and still get the stereo to work until a new ML amp was installed to replace the blown one (fortunately mine was warratee-ed). It seemed to be tied-in somehow to the operation of the head unit via computer code which is far beyond my ability to troubleshoot.....
In other words, the stereo seemed to need to talk to the amp to make sure it could work alright, and with a non-ML amp, that communication may be lost?

Good Luck-
Zee
Zee -
Sorry not the same markymark.

The problem with switching to ML amp is then you have to also replace all the speakers because the ML amp and stock amp are different ohms.

I don't see where the amp would have anything to do with recording to the hdd, but anything's possible I guess... ;-)
Old 12-06-10, 05:45 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by jimmyford1
The record to disc feature was discontinued on the LS starting with the 2008 model.
Are you sure? I thought it was just discontinued on the 2010 models. All the 2008 manuals still have the record to disk feature in them.
Old 12-06-10, 06:12 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

My 09 has it.
Old 12-06-10, 07:32 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i believe it only let you record regular cd format (CDA) and not MP3. You have to convert mp3 to cda for it to record. i heard that you can rename the .mp3 to .cda and fool it and it will record too.. mp3 format is a lot smaller so it's a plus.
Old 12-06-10, 08:01 PM
zeebra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marky2mark
Zee -
Sorry not the same markymark.

The problem with switching to ML amp is then you have to also replace all the speakers because the ML amp and stock amp are different ohms.

I don't see where the amp would have anything to do with recording to the hdd, but anything's possible I guess... ;-)

Awwww, too bad, I was hoping to see you end up with Lambo doors and a ground scraping airbag kit on your Lex like he did to his Tundra (etc!)...

Yeah, I'm a Mechanical Engineer not an Electrical Engineer, so I couldn't begin to understand what kind of cross-linked computations Lexus used in the programming of their stereo systems...

You asked about the wire harness having extra wires...does that mean you had some wires left over after installing the amp? Might be time to inquire at a dealer. Maybe your local dealer is nice enough to work with you on that - or maybe the guys at Sparks Toyota can help - they seem to be really good about working with guys doing major mods to their Tundras.

Or just let your question simmer awhile on this site and the right guy/girl will finally read it: I have seen some very complex questions get answered here. Half the guys on this site ARE EE's I swear! Sorry I couldnt help, just stirring the pot I guess.

Good Luck
Z
Old 12-06-10, 08:43 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by randomwalk
i believe it only let you record regular cd format (CDA) and not MP3. You have to convert mp3 to cda for it to record. i heard that you can rename the .mp3 to .cda and fool it and it will record too.. mp3 format is a lot smaller so it's a plus.
Exactly. The discs I was using were regular store bought CD's. They should be CDA format.
Old 12-06-10, 08:52 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by zeebra

You asked about the wire harness having extra wires...does that mean you had some wires left over after installing the amp? Might be time to inquire at a dealer. Maybe your local dealer is nice enough to work with you on that - or maybe the guys at Sparks Toyota can help - they seem to be really good about working with guys doing major mods to their Tundras.
The unit is just plug and play. It has 3 plugs on the back that plug into the head unit. Each plug has multiple wires on it. The guy I bought the unit from didn't give me the wires, so I just used the wires from the old stock unit, as they fit in the same plugs. But I'm wondering if maybe the ML unit has different plug wires.

Yeah I might shoot an email to my service rep at the Lexus dealer. Don't know if they would help with this but it's worth a try. Maybe one of the techs might know something about it. Thanks!
Old 12-07-10, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyford1
i believe they took out the feature in 2010 with the gen6 system?
Old 01-12-11, 07:42 AM
marky2mark
Driver

I have a guy working on this ML stereo for me, he says he needs to know what month and year the car was built to figure out the wiring. Anyone know where I can find the manufacture month and year? I looked on all the door jams and I didn't see it there. Thanks.
Old 01-12-11, 08:45 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In this instance, it's July '07.

Old 01-12-11, 09:42 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Found it, thanks! I was looking on the door jams, this plate is on the side of the drivers seat at the bottom...I didn't notice it. Thanks.