LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Service Lexus LS at Toyota Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 07:35 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Lexus LS at Toyota Dealership

I am purchasing my company car ('11 LS460) when it comes off lease next month. It needs front brakes and is up for a 35K mile service both of which I will pay for. The total cost of these two things at the Lexus dealership is $460. The Toyota dealership where my wife's Camry is serviced quoted me $290 for the exact same work. That's a pretty significant savings.

The SA at the Toyota dealership told me that they service Lexus models all the time with no issues and would use Lexus parts for the work at the price he quoted.

I would like to save the money but not at the expense of quality. How many CL members have had their cars LS's serviced at Toyota dealerships and what has your experience been?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 08-13-13, 08:17 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I have done some services at a local Toyota dealer on my 99 LS400. Labor tends to be less expensive. Overall, I recommend getting your OEM parts yourself via Lexus of South Atlanta of Sewell. You need to order online to get the fantastic discount. Then just bring the parts in and pay for the labor. I never pay dealer markup on pats if I have a choice.
Old 08-14-13, 08:04 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

My Son was a Tech at Toyota and worked on Lexus's all the time including the Owners LS.
Old 08-14-13, 10:04 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies. I will be trying them out within the next couple of weeks. .
Old 08-14-13, 01:25 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
My Son was a Tech at Toyota and worked on Lexus's all the time including the Owners LS.
In California? I called around Toyota dealership asking to do some oil changes on my LS. They said they weren't allowed to. =/
Old 08-14-13, 02:37 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Grouchy
In California? I called around Toyota dealership asking to do some oil changes on my LS. They said they weren't allowed to. =/
Yep! Maybe because it was the dealership owners car..
He always changed the oil on my ES without issues..
Old 08-17-13, 03:58 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

this is a lil funny there are a few parts i'll get from toyota parts instead of lexus because of the mark up... exact same part numbers mind you.. but a the lexus dealer (which is right door next to toyota) it was 40% more expensive.. and as for the labor, as long as the dealer can afford to fix any possible damages i say why not.. at the end of the day its a car..not rocket science and why not save a few bucks
Old 08-17-13, 05:53 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought my 2008 from a Toyota Dealer,it came with a 2 yr 24 month warranty. I will be using them for service and warranty work. I agree with Shibumi1, it is just a car and for the most part I will let them do oil services, brakes, filter changes and even spark plugs. I have personally done most of these services ( not oil changes) myself in the past with other Lexus vehicles I have owned.

I also want to develop a relationship with them in the event I do need warranty work. I think throwing them the minor services work helps when it comes time to get a major issue resolved. I think the same applies to Lexus dealerships, having a history with them can work to your advantage.
Old 08-18-13, 09:14 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I considered this approach with my 460 so I called for a quote on a 90K service.

The Toyota service advisor was unsure of what was included in that service pack. When I looked at their cost versus the Lexus Dealer and factoring in the cost of a rental and the hassles of that at the Toyota dealer, decided to stick with Lexus for maintenance.
Old 08-18-13, 10:56 AM
DallasGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus is a glorified Toyota. that's all. Yes, you can have regular maintenance performed at any Toyota dealership. Some Toyota dealers in close proximity to a Lexus dealer would either not do it or say they do not know what services are needed. this is done so you can take your ride to a Lexus dealer. Sisterly Courtesy! Of course for warranty work or any major repair I would suggest to take it to a Lexus Dealer.
Good Luck! its your money, use it wisely.
Old 08-18-13, 05:26 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I've been using them for oil changes and wheel alignments only on an LS430 and 2 LS 460s without any issue. I go to the Lexus dealer for the major services.
Old 08-23-13, 10:09 PM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering if anyone knew if Toyota dealerships could check out TPMS issues. Light randomly appeared and since I was going to replace the tires anyway I brought it to America's tires and they did the whole resetting thing with the TPMS tool but after approx 24 hours later the light came back on. I'm thinking its not the TPMS sensors themselves since they output data to the tool. If nobody knows Ill update the thread tomorrow after i take it to the Toyota dealership for others reference.
Old 08-24-13, 07:43 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Dark, there was another post regarding the TPMS sensor battery which may be at the end of it's life. If your sensors have been on the vehicle for many years, you may need to replace them. Let us know what the Toyota dealer finds.
Old 08-24-13, 09:26 AM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

The Toyota dealer said they are unable to check the TPMS system if it's anything more than a tire pressure issue. That's at Puente Hills Toyota though so I can't say for others. I am at a Lexus dealership and waiting to see what they say. Thanks for the reply Silver.