LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

does anyone know the Lexus procedure for flushing the brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 05:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
I had a similar issue on my '02 UL when I purchased it about 6 years ago and have noticed many other LS's with very dark black looking brake fluid. First change looked good for about a week then turned darker brown after a few weeks. Second change about 3 months later was better, it turned a lighter brown after a few months. Then, as part of a brake job after a year or so, dealer suggested BG flush and exchange. (I know many won't approve). After, the fluid remained honey color until the car was disposed of. I had no other problems with the brakes for the life of the car. Lesson, it may take a few fluid services to remove the contaminants.
Very interesting....my fluid is not black, but gold, and darker than when I left the dealership. I never analyzed it much with my Maxima, because I let a muffler shop do it and in watching them, they cheated. One guy at the hood, one guy in the car, and I saw the guy who was at the hood, open the left front caliper. So I knew that the nice clear fluid in the reservoir, would change in color, simply because the other 3 calipers/lines were filled with nasty old fluid. From memory, 2 bottles of DOT 4 is enough to completely flush my BMW, but I used just under 5. Overkill,but it assured me that I pushed an awful lot, including all, of the old fluid out. The fluid remained clear indefinitely. Part of me thinks that people genuinely believe that if they don't get all of the fluid out, they are not cheating you. Somehow, you're not paying them to get it all out or it doesn't matter? Lexus charged me $59, which is less than a muffler shop. Maybe there is some secret job on the menu that costs $140, to get all the old fluid out, because seriously, that would be about the right price....but pretty sure on the Lexus website, the job is listed as a flush on my car's records...there is an awful lot to DIY if you want things done right. The Lexus procedure was posted here and although it did not specify the order, which we assume to be RR, LR, RF, LF, it mentioned to repeat, meaning all calipers would be bled...

edit: just thought of an analogy out of left field.....canines do have their blood tested. Just as a human, one of the things tested is cholesterol. If it turns out a canine has high cholesterol, nothing is done, they are not treated for it. Reason, they do no live long enough for high cholesterol to impact them. I think, that when it comes to brake fluid, the dealers and muffler shops genuinely believe, that it really doesn't matter, you left the facility with 100% new brake fluid in the reservoir. As that mixes with the dirty fluid in the other 3 calipers, if you come back in 2 years to do it again, it did not harm you in any way, that's what I think they are thinking...I mean it is documented that the coolant is a drain, not a flush, same thing, not all old was removed and is good enough...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-18-17 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-20-17, 12:17 PM
Kverma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am not sure if I can rent that tool in Toronto, but will look at alternatives.