LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Right Rear Brakes Squelling

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 06:01 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Right Rear Brakes Squelling

My buddies kid has some pretty good diesel trainging but works in a printing shop as he can make more money and does car work on the side. I have been real happy with 4-5 brake jobs he has done on my cars and real fair pricing. He put on new Centric rotors on the rear with lexus pads. No problem but in reverse the screeching would wake the dead and pee off my neighbors for sure. He has tried greasing slides back plates etc but I hope he figures this out. He does use the old bolts. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 10-15-16, 06:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

#1 culprit is reusing old discs, with new pads, but not the case here.

Again I'm a newbie with the LS, but have done more than 5 brake jobs on BMW and Nissan. My BMW was purchased new (335i), and around 20k, I started to get a squeak-squeak-squeak in the rears when pulling away from a stop, very annoying and made the car feel cheap. Others on the forum reported the only way to correct is new pads, regardless of if your pads have only 20k.

Took the car to the dealer, and they did a internal "courtesy" job. cleaned all 4 corners, reinstalled with brake pad paste. It didn't do a thing.

When I went to diy my brakes at 50k, I saw the evidence that they had applied the brake pad paste to all 8 pads. Wanting to know for sure, I reinstalled new OEM brake pads, WITHOUT replacing the rear rotors (BMW specifies to always do both). Sure enough, no squeak. This is probably explained by the fact that the pads are semi metallic. I would think the LS has ceramic pads.

My sneaking suspicion is that pads/rotors cause certain noises, meaning various combinations of them--the exception is OEM pads/OEM rotors. I had once seen a GM document written by their engineers, wish I had the pdf. It explained various noises, be it a squeal, a groan, etc. OEM is usually engineered to eliminate noises as they don't want customers bringing new cars in under warranty to complain. For that reason, I prefer OEM--the dealer where I bought my car used installed OEM per my request. The guy told me, we had to use new bolts and install a sensor, and these were all left for me in the trunk. I saw the pads were Akebonos and only 20% worn--but the brakes were pulsating, and I think it had to do with cheap aftermarket rotors.

Because I'm used to bmw online pricing, where discount a front rotor is $128, I have no problem with Lexus prices....I believe the fronts list for $102. I can't tell you how many people I know took their cars to indies to get brakes on European cars, and live with noises from day 1, and they are always told, that's normal, it'll go away....imho should be quiet new, quiet worn....

Not sure if Lexus uses shims like my Nissan, or not, if it does, they should be reinstalled, as the piston on pad backing can exhibit a squeal...with fixed calipers they would go on both sides I guess....my .02

It would be interesting to know, if this goes away quickly, or if it persists. Since so many people I know have complained with European cars being done at indies, if I had a gun to my head I would guess it's the combination of pads/rotors, but if others have used the same combination with good luck, who knows...good luck!
Old 10-15-16, 07:26 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I used centric rotors and lexus pads before with great results maybe I should have him toss on the old rotorss, they did not pulsate at all I just figured with 140 k on the rotors I should replace em. I understand centric rotors and Wagners work well together. Thanks for the input that is kind of what he said when I noticed it some combos just squeel its just when backing up like in the morning when they are cold. This noise would shake the crows out of the trees though.
Old 10-15-16, 01:34 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A bunch of us run the akebono ceramics with good luck. I ran the akebono and frozen cryogenic treated rotors with new beck arnley hardware. Zero noise and smooth as silk once they had a few hundred miles to completely break in.
Old 10-16-16, 07:39 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have brembo pads with ebc rotors it's expensive $110 for the brembo pads the EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors vary in price, I personally love it and think they are 100% better than stock just my opinion though.