LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Never.....ever buy kyb!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 10:41 AM
hlippy4
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way...they can hide behind their warranty...it's not right and terrible business...that's why I'm posting. I think any company that hangs the customer out to dry.....especially in this circumstance....plain out STINKS.
Old 08-24-16, 11:59 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by hlippy4
By the way...they can hide behind their warranty...it's not right and terrible business...that's why I'm posting. I think any company that hangs the customer out to dry.....especially in this circumstance....plain out STINKS.
Send em a certified letter, asking for a written response. Not saying it will get you anywhere, but gets you something in writing. Companies galore all try to hide behind their warranty terms, but terms and law are two separate things.

All that aside, switch to a different company, and move on with life if things are not worth it. But all it takes is one person, and perseverance to make things right.

Anyways, are they at least giving you a new strut? Or is that also out of the question? How are they denying the warranty exactly? Are they just verbally saying it, sight unseen, or examination and blaming it on external factors such as improper installation?

Plus where did you purchase the strut? Is the mechanic providing you with parts or is did you buy them yourself?

Last edited by coolsaber; 08-24-16 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 12:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Always nice when parts work and last as they should. Who did you buy the KYB from? The installing shop or another source? If you bought these from another supplier the mechanic would have told you they do not offer warranty so this is the risk. I'm told that each time I bring in parts to be installed. Over the years I've had my share of failing parts in warranty. To bash KYB when they are willing to replace the strut excluding labor is to be expected. So what are you going to do, toss a warrantable part and switch all the shocks out because you feel KYB didn't stand by their product?
If these were bought at the installers shop then they typically cover labor and install so there is no more out of pocket.

http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/...-instructions/

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?The KYB Limited Warranty does not apply to KYB products that (a) are worn, but are not defective; (b) do not qualify due to the expiration of the warranty time duration specified above for each product; (c) are installed on non-cataloged applications; (d) are purchased from an un-authorized KYB parts reseller; (e) are altered, modified, reworked, improperly applied or installed, or abused; (f) are installed on vehicles for commercial or racing purposes; and/or (g) are damaged due to vehicle modifications or accident. (An example is where only one unit is defective and the consumer requests a pair be replaced. Since the KYB warranty only covers the defective unit, the claim for the worn but not defective unit will not be honored.) The cost of any diagnostics, removal of a defective KYB product and installation of a replacement KYB product is not included. The cost of transportation for the shipment of an alleged defective or replacement KYB product is not covered by this warranty.

Old 08-24-16, 12:32 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Honestly, I think you're being delusional that a parts manufacturer is going to hand out money for labor on installing parts. What strut/shock company reimburses on labor charges for a retail customer? Free replacement of the part itself is usually the remediation.

KYB sells like $20 struts on some applications, people would be scamming them left and right with labor claims that exceeded the price the part several times over to cash in on something like that with "my struts failed and I spent all day replacing them, where's my money?". They would be out of business if every DIY'er with an issue got to have their labor charges reimbursed. Who's to say if they were properly replaced? Maybe the coil has failed and is sagging? Wrong part ordered or shipped? Car has been lowered on non-factory spring? Car hit a speed bump at a high rate of speed? etc

It sucks that the KYB failed, but the labor is usually more than the price of the part and how any company could cover that liability for everyone would mean DRASTIC price increases.

If you're worried about parts failing quickly, the best insurance is letting the shop that installs buy the parts and handle this as any reputable shop would eat this and redo for free if one day later the struts were blown. It's more money, but sometimes that insurance is worth it.
Old 08-24-16, 09:23 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

The factory struts are made by KYB. I am surprised to see this. I've never had a bad experience with their product. Perhaps it was damaged in shipping?

Steve K.
Old 08-24-16, 11:17 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hlippy4
Seal blew off after a few miles on a brand new strut......oil everywhere down the strut etc. I did ask for some help with the labor as the product never should have left the factory..I personally don't think that is unreasonable...my mechanic said he never saw anything like that before. The head of customer relations said he's never seen anything like that and very unusual....but I'm SOL!!!
one of the perks of having a shop buy the part and install is that they will warranty the part and labor something fails.
Old 08-25-16, 05:04 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

My KYB replacement shock came in a Toyota box and only says kyb on the shock, nowhere on the box. 48530-59845 absorber assy. shock rear on 2005 bought online from Coronado lexus. they immediately raised the price as they were the lowest when I bought, paid $135 and now is $198. I was warned on this forum not to buy from a certain place as the shocks did this exact thing.
Old 08-25-16, 05:58 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
My KYB replacement shock came in a Toyota box and only says kyb on the shock, nowhere on the box. 48530-59845 absorber assy. shock rear on 2005 bought online from Coronado lexus. they immediately raised the price as they were the lowest when I bought, paid $135 and now is $198. I was warned on this forum not to buy from a certain place as the shocks did this exact thing.

The KYB made struts you buy at a Lexus dealership are not the same as the ones you from say AutoZone or RockAuto.

KYB is an OEM, but that doesn't mean they don't make different lines of parts for the aftermarket.
Old 08-26-16, 05:03 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is exactly why shops do not like customers bringing in their own parts and also why parts manufacturers cannot warranty beyond the price for a replacement product. Sounds like you bought these off Rockauto and had a shop install. On the one hand, the part is being replaced under warranty by KYB and this is ALL you should expect. As for covering labor, the shop isn't going to cover labor for this and neither should you be expecting KYB to foot the bill. I've always worked under the assumption that if parts are purchased by me, then most likely it is a DIY in my garage with my own labor. Minute I go into a shop, the shop can procure and install the part - I may only direct them into what part I want re: Timken wheel bearing versus whatever they would have purchased.

Old 08-26-16, 06:26 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The risks of DIY.

if you want fully warranted, you have to be willing to pay a certified mechanic that guarantees their work and be willing to pay their markup on parts. That's part of why they are expensive. S*** happens.
Old 08-26-16, 10:22 AM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this frustration with parts that fail prematurely - or never work properly. It's left me just about as mad as you are too.
I've never seen any parts manufacturer or distributor offer to pick up the labor except very casual labor like a battery replacement.
Having said this, the times I've gotten any concessions above the strict reading of the warranty or T&C's has been when I have been very pleasant and friendly while being a bit insistent.
In the case of struts though, I would be pleasantly surprised if they just quickly shipped me some replacements without any hassles.
I understand your feelings on this but I've never seen a company do a full replacement including labor. It's not reasonable.
Old 08-26-16, 12:13 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If it is not made in Japan, this is another Takata type deal, when are well know for quality outfits going to quit having other countries that care less about quality build their stuff? I just don't get it, why they want their name drug though the mud, and end up paying WAY more in lawsuits and recalls than they save by outsourcing to a low labor cost country. WAKE up Japanese manufactures bring back your quality and make your own parts again. The sad thing is we still pay the top dollars for cheap made parts.
Old 08-26-16, 04:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Prices for all levels are available, good stuff costs money. Just as we've discussed in our section, an aging LS is still going to command $$ in good parts to maintain. Using third party off shore makers of "OEM" is a risk. Some do make them better but after gambling, it is safer with less headache to buy the parts that come in the red box marked "Toyota". I've had a few of those red box Japan made parts fail so it happens with them too. Japan has lower tier products available and not necessarily with auto related items.
Old 08-27-16, 06:00 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's suck that it happened, but I am with KYB for holding ground on not reimbursing the labor cost. If they do, the aftermarket part costs would be a lot higher for everyone.