RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Strut replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 09:55 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Strut replacement questions

I received my struts today from Partsgeek.com. I purchased front and back Monroe OE Spectrum struts for $80 apiece with a mail in rebate for the buy 4 for the price of 3 deal. I also got the Monroe front strut mounts/bearings for $40/each and Monroe rear mounts for $22/each. Free shipping/no tax.

A question I have is do most people reuse their strut covers and bumpers? My front strut covers aren't torn and I assume the bumper can be reused.

Also should I purchase the rear coil upper and lower spring insulators or can those be reused? From what I've read on the forum, people recommend replacing the strut mounts but I don't see any mention of the coil insulators. I saw those on the website after I placed my order.

I'm planning on bringing all my parts to a small garage this weekend that will charge me $80 to install each strut here in Northern CA. For my bouncy 2004 RX330 AWD 199K mi.

Thanks for you responses

Last edited by LSBen; 10-22-15 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 05:44 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

See here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...akes-pics.html

I did everything you mentioned and did the bumpers too. If your covers and bumpers are not torn etc they are fine to reuse. In my opinion changing out the mounts with the actual struts is necessary.

Again, same thing with the insulators.

$80/wheel is a good price. I am surprised you were able to wait this long to get them done if they were not done prior to your ownership. Ours were shot at just above 100k miles.

good luck
Old 10-23-15, 08:26 AM
LSBen
Pole Position

I bought the car last year at 188K miles and have driven it for a year now. I know Toyotas/Lexus have soft suspensions but the back is saggin when loaded with people and makes creaking sounds when coming to a full stop or when people step in the back. I hope putting in the new struts will resolve these 2 issues. I also ordered a NSK rear wheel bearing after discovering the whirling sound at higher speeds were coming from the wheel bearing. I found that out searching the forum. I had initially thought it was from the tires. I'm looking forward to a better and quieter ride.
Old 10-23-15, 08:44 AM
alchemist
Instructor

changing your struts will definitely help that.
Old 10-26-15, 10:24 AM
LSBen
Pole Position

Had the struts put on this weekend and the ride is very much improved. Feels like a different car.Tightened up the steering response, nose dive, body roll is minimal. Suspension feels taut, not cushy soft like my LS430 or stiff (when I had Bilsteins on my Volvo T5 wagon), feels more sporty yet comfortable, like a German car. I feel like the car is sitting higher, at least 1/2" higher. I'm happy the way it turned out.

After replacing Left rear wheel bearing, I am noticing the other side is making growling/whirling sounds. It wasn't as loud as the left side. So now I'm going to replace that side as well. The squeaking noise is less, probably due to less body motion, but it is still present when going over speed bumps but not when people get in the back. Does anyone know if replacing the rear trailing arm will take care of that squeak? Not sure what else to look at.

Last edited by LSBen; 10-26-15 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-05-16, 12:55 PM
awfulart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear strut installation cost

I am going to have my rear struts replaced. 2004 Lexus RX330AWD. Any ideas on current labor priceing
Old 02-05-16, 01:10 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by awfulart
I am going to have my rear struts replaced. 2004 Lexus RX330AWD. Any ideas on current labor priceing
guessing labor 300-350 for both based on 2 1/2-3 hours labor. Best to call the shop that is going to do the job. entails strut removal, compression, spring removal/ install, mounting.
Old 02-07-16, 08:30 AM
awfulart
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the info. Pretty much confirms what I believed to be the reasonable cost.
Old 02-10-16, 10:05 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any one know where I can buy Monroe or KYB struts with the coils loaded?
Old 02-10-16, 10:52 AM
awfulart
Driver School Candidate

Default Quick struts

I believe Monroe makes quick struts for the front. but could not find any for the rear. i tried FCS twice but they did not fit. Gave up on FCS for the rear and ended buying separate parts for rear. I used Parts Geek even though they would not refund the shipping when the rear quick struts from FCS would not fit. I did not replace the coil springs. We shall see . how that goes after installation
Old 02-10-16, 12:24 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

What was the FCS part number that did not fit? I'm pretty sure there are members on here that had a working part number for a quick strut ordered from rock auto.
Old 02-10-16, 12:35 PM
awfulart
Driver School Candidate

Product: 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD Strut and Coil Spring Assembly -- FCS Automotive
Part Number: 2331785R - Did not fit . Purchased from 1A Auto and then Parts Geek.. However, these places have there own part #s. Because of that I did not know that Parts Geek was sending the same struts as 1A Auto.
At leaset 1A aut refunded my shipping as well. I ded put F C S struts on the from and they did fit. Not sure of the quality but time will tell.
Old 02-10-16, 12:52 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by awfulart
Product: 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD Strut and Coil Spring Assembly -- FCS Automotive
Part Number: 2331785R - Did not fit . Purchased from 1A Auto and then Parts Geek.. However, these places have there own part #s. Because of that I did not know that Parts Geek was sending the same struts as 1A Auto.
At leaset 1A aut refunded my shipping as well. I ded put F C S struts on the from and they did fit. Not sure of the quality but time will tell.
Could their catalog possibly have a wrong part number? A quick glance at the Rockauto catalog shows a 1331785R. 1 digit off. for a RR FWD w/o air suspension quick strut.
Old 10-11-16, 08:48 AM
dlesesne
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing Rear Struts on 2005 RX330 AWD

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum so bear with me on etiquette and protocol practiced in this forum.
My situation: I had the Lexus Dealership investigate a rattling noise in the rear of my 2005 RX330. The answer was the rear struts / shocks need replacing. The price quote for labor and parts for both struts / shocks to be replaced was $1,700. (Ouch and no way I want pay that amount) The Dealership is in Rockville, MD.

My question -- any suggestions on reliable and worthy mechanics in the MD. area (Montgomery County or Laurel MD. area) that could install the parts?
Any suggestions on which aftermarket parts (Manufacturer) to buy, if I were to buy my own parts and have a mechanic install?

Thanks for any and all suggestions
dlesesne
Old 10-11-16, 03:15 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by dlesesne
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum so bear with me on etiquette and protocol practiced in this forum.
My situation: I had the Lexus Dealership investigate a rattling noise in the rear of my 2005 RX330. The answer was the rear struts / shocks need replacing. The price quote for labor and parts for both struts / shocks to be replaced was $1,700. (Ouch and no way I want pay that amount) The Dealership is in Rockville, MD.

My question -- any suggestions on reliable and worthy mechanics in the MD. area (Montgomery County or Laurel MD. area) that could install the parts?
Any suggestions on which aftermarket parts (Manufacturer) to buy, if I were to buy my own parts and have a mechanic install?

Thanks for any and all suggestions
dlesesne

look at my thread on struts, axles, etc. Go to Rock Auto

Quick Reply: Strut replacement questions