LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-15, 03:54 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A stickier tire with an unaltered stock suspension induces more body roll as compared to maybe the stock tire - is this what the debate is about here? Or are we debating the tire choice?
Old 07-29-15, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by tkblazer
I'm not trying to start a fight, but have you ever driven a car with grippy tires? Tires are a huge part of a cars suspension. If effects unsprung weight of a car and is the only point of contact with road. The same car with say all season tires will have less traction in a turn and the tires will either roll or break traction sooner and body will will not be as evident. The same car with UHP tires will stay planted and body roll will be more evident when no sway bar or spring/damping mods are done.
You and I are arguing the same point. His Pilot Super Sport tires are not REDUCING the body roll on his LS...As to whether or not they could increase body roll being grippier and allowing less force to dissipate through understeer in a corner? I could see the validity in that argument.

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I am thinking with squishy tread blocks a thin soft sidewall the outside of the cornering tire is going to bulge and flatten and deform the opposite front tire is going to then be taller and more unweighted. Would this not cause the LS to be inclined in the front end toward the cornering tire? So whatever it is then the HP tire rolls more and the increased handling and steering and confident nature of the HP tire comes from where if it is diving more?
You will have more sidewall deformation in a touring tire than a high performance tire like the PSS, but this is not "body roll" and doesn't really present when driving as roll, its more a rubbery feeling to the tires as they reach their limit of adhesion. Body roll, dive when braking and accelerating, thats a function of suspension. not tires.

You come across with this "placebo" effect making me sound like some kind of idiot at least I am not alone.
I'm not saying you're an idiot, but I do think you are overstating the effect that high performance tires have on the handling attributes of your LS yes.

Theres a car being more "planted" feeling, and actually rolling less in a corner or diving less when braking. Tires would help with the first, but not the second.
Old 07-30-15, 02:15 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

"I do think you are overstating the effect that high performance tires have on the handling attributes of your LS yes." HAve you ever driven the PSS tires for 5 k miles on a Euro Sport LS to break them in? otherwise seems like a foolish statement but glad I got those crappy primacies off my car,

Never really meant this thread for ridicule of a posters experience with tires noting flatness when cornering, from someone whom I get the feeling have not driven the PSS on the Euro Sport LS.

Seems tires are a real soft spot for people on this forum. Just trying to explain how to get the superior handling and flat cornering with the LS, the Pilot Super Sport which will have ya grinning ear to ear again. If flat cornering makes ya feel better versus body roll there it is.
But all the enthusiasts with the primacy's perellis, premiers keep feeling good.

Me I am not arguiing, never argue with an idiot, they will break you down to their level and win on experience.

Overstating the effects of these tires on handling and overall ride quality? Look at the many people who agree with me on the links in my posts and about 600 reviews Remember just a car, a now sweet handlin sporty LS. Good day my touring tire friends,
Old 07-30-15, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know why you're being so defensive and getting so offended...nobody is ridiculing you...not even in the slightest. The only person being offensive here is you, calling me an idiot thats just childish.

People use the information presented in these forums to help them make decisions about what to buy, what to do, etc. We're all just presenting our viewpoints and our own experiences here.

Physics is physics. Tires are important, but a simple set of tires doesn't change the suspension dynamics or limitations of a car. Just making sure that balanced information is out there so people have realistic expectations when deciding to shell out money for a certain set of tires.
Old 08-04-15, 09:46 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

If you read the article I copied in the fella contradicts you both and agrees with me but I will defer to the term flatter handling. , Maybe I am defensive as you use the word placebo effect and to me it is critical of my solid observations and also a buddy of mine with an 05/ primaries. He drove my LS and felt the same improvement. It sounds like you have never driven these tires?

I am trying to let folks know first hand you don't have to drive a wiallowy boat the only real shortcoming of this car. I have driven 35 k miles a year for 15 years and will tell you the flatter handling and awesome feel of these tires is not a "placebo" effect.

Let me restate if you want, 5k review your LS will drive flatter and drive much more like an A8. My 5 k review these tires are quieter, smoother, handle better by far than any A/S tire I have had on in 200k miles of owning LS's. If you have never driven these tires on a sport model you have no basis to make a placebo comment really. This LS is now a gas to drive not a LeSabrelike drive.

Anyway Sport suspension Pilots best all season performance handling out there and I have driven 20 of these when it took 6 months x 2 to find my two. Now I get in this thing and just grin.

Again no hard feelings but I am content this thing now rips. The end no more back and forth or reviews just driving pleasure, be well.
Old 08-04-15, 10:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why are we still talking about this? You posted your viewpoint, we posted ours. Tires alone will not turn an LS into a strong handling car, they're not going to reduce body roll or dive when braking as these are characteristics of the suspension and not the tires. I'm not,going to back down on that, you obviously disagree and that's fine. People considering a tire purchase can read both our thoughts and come to their own conclusions.
Old 08-06-15, 02:25 PM
Helge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
So a budget "Q" rated or unrated snow tire will have no difference in body roll versus a Pilot Sport or other ultra high perf tire?
Sorry to rain on your parade, but your Pilot Sport All Season tires are not ultra high performance tires.

My brother had a set on his AMG Mercedes. He replaced them with Pilot Super Sports. The difference was like night and day.

I would expect any decent summer tire to be a better summer tire than an all season tire. A snow tire is of course a very bad tire unless there is snow on the ground.
Old 08-08-15, 06:18 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Pilot Sport A/s 3 w and y are ultra high performance a/s tires per tire rack so I have the V rated it is high performance A/s Really can't run UHP summer tire and take em below 40 degrees so they are out in Wisco I run my summer tires till the first snow .

I apologize also, I was having a couple ales with a brake rotor pad rep flown in from the UK to work with race cars at Road America in Elkhart Lake(he totallt liked craft beers to English beers BTW). He agreed with you a stickier tire in the purist sense of the word will have more roll reiterating the purist sense of the word.

Please accept my apologies this got carried away by me and I always admit when I am wrong. He agreed about the treadblocks squishing and the sidewall deforming on a lower speed rated tire and agreed the Sport a/s to be an excellent tire and the overall feel of the construction makes it feel flatter, so yes placebo effect is prolly accurate.

So again accept my apologies just so happy with these tires. Thanks Warm
Old 08-08-15, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Pilot Super Sport

Not a problem, happy that you're happy with the tires
Old 09-15-15, 04:25 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Back again. The LS has been sitting, I picked up an 014 Touareg Exec. TDI, basically a Cayenne with a different badge. Plan on putting Porsche GTS sway bars on it. Having been on the MXV4's for so long and getting into the LS now with newer Pilot Sports after an absense it is a different car. I would not own a non Pilot Sport LS they are that nice on the Sport Suspension model but I like crisper handling so that is me.

I got 18k off sticker on a dealer used car with 4k miles and am the first owner with in service date about a month ago. Nice to see a diesel RX someday. Not a fan of VW, my first one, go test drive touareg TDI. I have been following them since I sold my last 012 only real issues is adblue heaters and pumps all under warrantee. Ya gotta like 5klbs 25mpg combined all day long and 406 lbs of torque.
Old 09-15-15, 07:14 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running the sumitomo HTRZ III 245/45-18. Loving them bit hard and bit louder but the grip is amazing.
I love them, don't care about winter performance as ouer winter is like 3 months minemumm temp is 10c with 3 tiny drops of rain.
Old 09-16-15, 01:17 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks good to know