Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Pilot Super Sport

Anyone run them for a summer tire?
Old 01-31-15, 06:11 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I currently run super sports. I live in louisiana so i run them all year on my wheels. Of the performance tires, they ride better and smoother than most if not all others. They do grip very well but i am not racing around in a ls430. However they are still louder in tire noise and bumpier than your usual passenger tire example michelin mxv4. The reviews and price speak for them self. If you would like to know anything else please feel free to ask
Old 02-01-15, 02:14 PM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Why put a sporty tire on a non-sport car OP?
Old 02-03-15, 08:11 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I have sport susp so while not a race car if a tire can improve handling why not. I figure with the Michelin "promise" I may try these if I do not like them I have 30 days to put on the Premier or other Michelin.
Old 02-03-15, 08:32 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I have sport susp so while not a race car if a tire can improve handling why not. I figure with the Michelin "promise" I may try these if I do not like them I have 30 days to put on the Premier or other Michelin.
I thought you would have aftermarket wheels. Honestly i wouldnt put those tires on stock wheels. The smooth ride is lost. I would just go with a different tire. The ls430 is not made to be a sport car and have excellent handling in turns etc. I have 20 inch wheels staggered and these were the best option for me.
Old 02-04-15, 04:50 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks I will let ya know if I need to exercise my "promise"program in the spring.
Old 05-27-15, 09:30 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I decided to ditch the idea of the Super Sports as their cold temp driving was unsafe here in Wisco as I run my non winter tires until it snows often with cold temps in the interrum. I put on the A/S 3 Super Sports and could not be happier today breaking them in first day I have them. History... I put I put 200k miles on 2 LS's with Assurance, Primacy V and H's and Comfortred.

A/S 3's where better than my MXV4's for sure with 4/32 on them currently and almost as good as my MXV4's where new absorbing FWY cracks and dips and whoop de do's even better. I bounced over to cover another clinic and the way back the tires seemed to break in and the last 45 miles. This has been my normal work routine for the past 14 years so I could feel the difference cornering in the subdivision and getting home like a hoaming pigeon.

The steering is more nimble and precise I can hold the wheel at the bottom for most of my steering now and go back to 9 o clock for 90 degree turns off the free way ramp etc. Changing lanes is a breeze as she pops over and flattens out quicker. Construction zones the dampening and precision is very nice with just the wrist steering to subtly redirect you with little arm motion so the steering is efficient They track like they are more adhered and damper versus the experiences with my other tires.

Now swooping high speed turns and much faster harder cornering is little better. Slow pot holes in parking lots are more noticeable but not terrible. They might be a little noisier but if ya saw the open treadblocks you would understand and think it is negligible as the cabin is so quiet anyway.

Overall though the LS is much more playful and I would have to say these tires feel safer, but ya gotta drive em to know what I mean.. Thought I would excercise my Michelin Promise Program if I did not like em but I do.
Old 05-27-15, 09:34 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I thought like you guys the LS ride would be lost but it wasn't.
Old 05-29-15, 03:35 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Has anyone run the SS A/S 3. I am thoroughly enjoying these tires.
Old 05-30-15, 03:10 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Default heres a link

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...ort-a-s-3.html
Old 05-30-15, 05:29 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/04/07/mi...port-3-review/

Last one was paid participants
Old 05-30-15, 05:32 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/01/22/bm...ot-sport-as-3/

This ones more complete
Old 06-08-15, 04:41 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I continue to be very impressed with this tire. I went for a drive with my buddy who bought a non sport 05 LS right after driving mine in octoberish 08. He noticed a difference with the sport suspension when I got my second LS 2 years ago and again was "wow what a difference" when he drove the Pilot Sports this weekend.

I remember skiing with a Michelin tire tester in Houghton, Mi, they get horrendous amounts of lake effect snow. I skied a couple runs and picked his head about tires. He just praised the Super Sports and just kind of yawned when I mentioned the MXV4's. The Pilots are an all season Super Sport.

His opinions on tires where other tire manufacturers make a couple competitive tires, Michelin consistently builds a great great tires of course biased. I agree after driving the Hydroedge, Exalto, AX4 MXV4 h and V and Pilot Sport. Only dog was the MXV4 Energy as it was an OEM tire with poor tread life but drove nice. Cheers
Old 06-10-15, 07:13 PM
max2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to use this on my GS300. its loud. way louder than all season $80 tire. for the price, i think its more to the performance than to use daily.

if you want to get great summer tire, michelin ps2 is the answer. i used that and way quieter than ps super sport.
Old 06-10-15, 10:56 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Glad I did not get the Super Sport as it is not a good below 40 degree tire. The Pilot AS3's are as quiet as my Mxv4,there is the 70 dollar coupon coming out 6/21 I saw on tire rack BTW

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport