LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Driver mirror not working at all on '04

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 04:27 PM
nateses300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver mirror not working at all on '04

The further I dig, the more little, annoying issues crop up on my newly purchased 2004 LS. The driver's side mirror doesn't do anything at all. It doesn't fold, doesn't adjust, and the foot light doesn't come on either. The passenger side works just fine, so I doubt it's a switch. The fuse (#39) looks good too, and other components on the fuse work as well. I'm guessing that there must be some connector that's come loose somewhere, but does anyone know where I should start, where all of those various wires would be together? Thanks!
Old 06-02-14, 10:39 AM
LEXLUIS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 06 passenger fails to tilt when placed on reverse

and fails to move up or down

looking for DIY on this as well anyone else with failing mirrors????
Old 06-02-14, 02:30 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you guys cleaned the switches for the mirror and read that thread posted in the diy? It can solve some weird issues. I also lubed the back side of the mirror behind the glass with a bunch of wd 40 on both sides. So far they work like New again. My car has 70k miles. I was having intermittent problems with mirrors not tilting up and down and adjusting properly. Once cleaned, lubricated and reassembled it cured everything.
Old 06-02-14, 04:18 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXLUIS
My 06 passenger fails to tilt when placed on reverse

and fails to move up or down

looking for DIY on this as well anyone else with failing mirrors????
Is the switch in the L or R position and not center? Reverse tilt off is center position.
Old 06-03-14, 09:55 PM
nateses300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Is the switch in the L or R position and not center? Reverse tilt off is center position.
A good bit of reasoning, but yes, I've owned a number of Toyota products before, so I'm used to the center of the switch being off. If you guys think cleaning the switches will work, I'll give it a shot. It just seems weird that nothing at all on that mirror works while the other works perfectly. Anyone know of threads that give details on how to dig into the mirror to check wiring? My guess is that something isn't connected properly.
Old 06-04-14, 09:31 AM
LEXLUIS
Driver

Originally Posted by nateses300
A good bit of reasoning, but yes, I've owned a number of Toyota products before, so I'm used to the center of the switch being off. If you guys think cleaning the switches will work, I'll give it a shot. It just seems weird that nothing at all on that mirror works while the other works perfectly. Anyone know of threads that give details on how to dig into the mirror to check wiring? My guess is that something isn't connected properly.
+2

I tried on all positions In neutral, Left , right
but now nothing moves

at times when in reverse it goes down but fails to come up when changing gears.

where is that mirrors DIY link please?/
Old 06-04-14, 06:40 PM
gemineye
Driver

LexLuis: Check the LS430 FAQ for additional info about the mirror switch cleaning. I'm betting if you clean the switch, that will fix your woes. Your issues sound alot like what I had prior to cleaning the switch. The LS430 FAQ is a Sticky, so it's easy to find.

OP: You can attempt to clean the switch but I think your issue is coming from somewhere else. Are you sure that Fuse #39 is responsible for power to the driver's side mirror? Just throwing that out there as I had some recent issue with my cig lighter and the fuse I was checking wasn't the correct one.

At any rate, it sounds like a fuse is bad. Either that or an electrical connector isn't properly mated together. I don't know where the electrical connector is to even check it though.

Regards,
Randy G.
Old 06-04-14, 07:58 PM
LEXLUIS
Driver

thanks will do ..

funny thing is 6 months ago I bought a 5.0 but the wife kept hinting that she can not drive the 5.0 (6spd) cause it was manual.
she kept pressing for a BMW

anyway I let her have the LS and went down hill

so now I got the 2014 IS for me
but fear I have to take the LS from her to fix the bugs.
Old 06-09-14, 08:22 PM
nateses300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gemineye
OP: You can attempt to clean the switch but I think your issue is coming from somewhere else. Are you sure that Fuse #39 is responsible for power to the driver's side mirror? Just throwing that out there as I had some recent issue with my cig lighter and the fuse I was checking wasn't the correct one.

At any rate, it sounds like a fuse is bad. Either that or an electrical connector isn't properly mated together. I don't know where the electrical connector is to even check it though.
Yeah, I think you're right. The owner's manual is very unclear about which fuse does what. According to the chart, there are multiple fuses that are responsible for one component, thrown in with a bunch of others. For example, the electric steering wheel adjustment comes up on the chart three times, each with a different fuse. Very confusing. Anybody know where to find the connector? And thanks, Randy.
Old 06-10-14, 10:07 AM
LEXLUIS
Driver

remove the switch clean it up and no changes..

this weekend I will look into removing the passenger mirror possibly upgrade to LED light while I am there.

interesting enough by reversing the position of the switch my driver mirror picked up the same symptoms.
fail to adjust up/down, and the passenger fail to move at all.

I inspected the switch very carefully no peeling on metal bands.

replace everything as it was still passenger side fails to come up or go down.

moving onto the passenger mirror dissembling hope I don't break the mirror pulling out any tips?
Old 06-10-14, 02:56 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try this thread:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...lass-its-easy/