Little clunking noise???...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 09:24 AM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little clunking noise???...

Hi All, LS430 lovers.

I need some help pinpointing the source of this small but annoying noise coming from the rear of the car (near the rear wheels) when ever I shift gear from parking to R of D. It is not loud but it almost sound like small metal hammer hitting another metal piece. Once the gear engages, there is absolutely no problem and the trans runs without any issues. I am thinking it might be worn U-joint of the drive shaft, if there is such a thing on LS.

Also can someone post (or direct me to) a pic that shows location of the fill-plug and overflow-port for the sealed transmission?? Like many of you, I am trying to drain and fill the transmission fluid but having hard time.

Thank you for your help and looking forward to hear from you.

2005 LS430, Cypress Pearl, 26k miles
2003 RX300, Beige, 155K miles.
1997 ES300, Beige, 247K miles.
2012 Prius V, Black, 22K milies.
Old 01-28-13, 11:45 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the noise happen when you go from drive to reverse also? If so its likely the brake pad retaining hardware in the caliper. If this hardware hasn't been changed in years then it'll be worn a bit, and the metal noise you hear is the pads and/or retainer clips/pins shifting in the caliper when you change direction. Its an easy fix and the parts are cheap, you just need to get the "fit kit" for the rear brakes.
Old 01-28-13, 11:57 AM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Hi ancdmd,
Thanks for the reply.
I have not looked into that since the car has only 25k miles on it.
Now that you have mentioned it, I will go home and check and let you know. The sound is there whenever I shift from P to R, R to D and D to R (noise happens at excat moment the gear hits the R, D and R again). But If the car has not moved, that sound isn't there. In other words, if the car is at one spot and the shifted from P to R to D and redo the sequence (minus the P), I cannot re-create the sound.

Thanks again.

cy

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Does the noise happen when you go from drive to reverse also? If so its likely the brake pad retaining hardware in the caliper. If this hardware hasn't been changed in years then it'll be worn a bit, and the metal noise you hear is the pads and/or retainer clips/pins shifting in the caliper when you change direction. Its an easy fix and the parts are cheap, you just need to get the "fit kit" for the rear brakes.
Old 01-28-13, 12:48 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

99% sure it has nothing to with the powertrain, almost positive its the brakes. I just had a new "fit kit" installed in my rear brakes about 20k miles ago and its making the noise again too, so your case wouldn't be unusual. You can try just taking the pads out and regreasing the shims and backsides of the pads, sometimes this will be enough to take care of the problem.
Old 01-28-13, 01:01 PM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Cool.. Thanks.

I will keep you posted.
by the way, what is 'fit kit' and where would one get this??

cy

Last edited by gomboy60; 01-28-13 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-28-13, 01:37 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As for the Sealed transmission... do a search as there are many pics already shown and people have attempted various methods to "change" the fluid. Personally, and I am a strong believer in DIY, there is no quality/efficient way to do this yourself that I have seen demonstrated on this or any other forum (apologies to anyone this may offend). For me, this was a great procedure to do at the dealer (approx $250) who has the right tools and can ensure a complete passive flush/replacement of somethkng like 14qts of the oil in the process with no risk to this expensive component... to each their own, but this was a great job for me to rely on the dealer's expertise to perform for me. Mine even changed the aged hoses going to the cooler to ensure I had no future issues... nice value add!
Old 01-28-13, 01:49 PM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, like you are, I love to do things myself. Also I am well aware that I will just be drain and refill so there will be large portion of fluid that will remain in the system. It is just that I have been unable to find the exact location of the 'refill' plug and 'overflow' plug. Since I need to rely on four floor jacks without much clearance at home, i just want to be able to visualize the locations. I have done searching in this forum but cannot find any photos showing the plugs.

Thanks again.
cy

Originally Posted by Viper6
As for the Sealed transmission... do a search as there are many pics already shown and people have attempted various methods to "change" the fluid. Personally, and I am a strong believer in DIY, there is no quality/efficient way to do this yourself that I have seen demonstrated on this or any other forum (apologies to anyone this may offend). For me, this was a great procedure to do at the dealer (approx $250) who has the right tools and can ensure a complete passive flush/replacement of somethkng like 14qts of the oil in the process with no risk to this expensive component... to each their own, but this was a great job for me to rely on the dealer's expertise to perform for me. Mine even changed the aged hoses going to the cooler to ensure I had no future issues... nice value add!
Old 10-07-13, 09:44 AM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Default Problem resolved!!

Originally Posted by gomboy60
Hi All, LS430 lovers.

I need some help pinpointing the source of this small but annoying noise coming from the rear of the car (near the rear wheels) when ever I shift gear from parking to R of D. It is not loud but it almost sound like small metal hammer hitting another metal piece. Once the gear engages, there is absolutely no problem and the trans runs without any issues. I am thinking it might be worn U-joint of the drive shaft, if there is such a thing on LS.

Also can someone post (or direct me to) a pic that shows location of the fill-plug and overflow-port for the sealed transmission?? Like many of you, I am trying to drain and fill the transmission fluid but having hard time.

Thank you for your help and looking forward to hear from you.

2005 LS430, Cypress Pearl, 26k miles
2003 RX300, Beige, 155K miles.
1997 ES300, Beige, 247K miles.
2012 Prius V, Black, 22K miles.
I have been annoyed by this metal hitting metal noise whenever gear is shifted from P to R to D or back to D from R since the car was bought. It was coming from the left rear wheel and thorough investigation near the area (for any loose connection, shock, all other component including brake system) failed to reveal the source of the noise. Only thing I could think of (although it went against the common sense with the car having only 25k miles at the time of purchase, without any record or signs of accident) was either the hub or the axle shaft and eventually I've decide to replace the real left axle shaft assembly (the one with double CV -type joints). To make long story short, the noise is completely gone now and it runs like brand new car. The dealer price for the part was more than $700 but used from Sacramento area junk yard costed me around $150. My apology for not having pictures since we working late but it took lot of brute force to get to the part and took us about 5 hours in total. Btw, the '12 -point start' nut is 32mm (can be bought at Sear's for around $8 and it is deep enough) and the rest are mostly 19mm.

cy

Last edited by gomboy60; 10-07-13 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-08-13, 01:52 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

So do you have an idea of what exactly the problem was with the axle shaft? Were you able to find any defects in it?
Old 10-08-13, 05:26 PM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Nope. I haven't had a chance to cut open the rubber boots yet. By flexing or turning with 'hand power' only it does not create any noise at all. I am not sure if I want to open that up and deal with all that greasy mess. Maybe I will just send it off to be rebuilt. Funny thing is I was unable locate any rebult unit on internet. All the part store that I have contacted (e.g., Autozone, RockAuto and some others) needed the core to be shipped in first. They do not have any rebuilt unit sitting on their shelf. I guess it mean they don't break down that often..

In any case, I am glad that the noise is gone and I have many many more years of enjoyment left in the car.

Thank for your input.

cy