DIY Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 02:35 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink DIY Brake Pads

OK guys. Need a little help.
Always thought of myself as fairly handy but would never have attemped a brake pad change on my LS430. That was until I read on this forum how easy it is. I made up my mind I would do it when the time comes. Unfortunately that time came sooner than I wanted, as the brake wear light came on, before I had a chance to check the wear. When I did check, the fronts are OK, the back need changing and the wear sensor is bad. I have read about soldering the ends of the sensor together or replacing it at about 100 bucks. I am kind of **** and like everything to work as new so I will probably replace it. My question is how do you remove the sensor and replace it, or if I were going remove it and have it soldered? Seems like a continueous set of wires that disappear into never land. Sorry for asking a dumb question as it is probably very simple.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-11, 08:10 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

you will see the break in the wire when you take your wheel off.just reconnect the wire in anyway that you are comfortable with.easy fix

Last edited by jimbosr1; 05-15-11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 01:49 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
you will see the break in the wire when you take your wheel off.just reconnect the wire in anyway that you are comfortable with.easy fix
I think you mean there is some sort of plug or disconnect. I will give it a try.

Thanks very much for your help.
Old 05-15-11, 01:59 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

First and foremost, the sensor is only on the passenger side front rear.

When you pull the pad out you will see the sensor wire. To remove you will find where the sensor attaches on the pad and you will see the clip that holds it on.

Remove the clip by pushing up on the clip to slide off the pad. Once the clip is removed, the sensor slides off the pad.

Installation is the reverse, just be sure NOT to lose the clip, it is very small. Also take care not to use any tools to remove, just your fingers, you do not want to bend the metal any, if you do, just bend it back so it holds the sensor tightly.

Old 05-15-11, 03:58 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr.Doback
First and foremost, the sensor is only on the passenger side front rear.

When you pull the pad out you will see the sensor wire. To remove you will find where the sensor attaches on the pad and you will see the clip that holds it on.

Remove the clip by pushing up on the clip to slide off the pad. Once the clip is removed, the sensor slides off the pad.

Installation is the reverse, just be sure NOT to lose the clip, it is very small. Also take care not to use any tools to remove, just your fingers, you do not want to bend the metal any, if you do, just bend it back so it holds the sensor tightly.

I took the rear wheel off (passenger side) and removed the sensor from the brake pad. It is bad. No problem there. My question is how do you removed the sensor from the wires to replace it? Where does it disconnect from?
Old 05-15-11, 04:12 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I understand your specific question but don't have an answer. I just did my rear pads but did not look at sensor attachment point as mine was intact. You are asking how to disconnect the wire end of the sensor not the sensor end that is clipped to the brake pad.

If you buy the replacement sensor make sure you get the specific front or back correct part and as long as you get the exact correct part it should be pretty obvious how and where the sensor is disconnected by looking at the wire connection end on the new replacement sensor.

If all else fails you could just clip the old sensor wires and solder on the new sensor and insulate with heat shrink tubing. But my guess is the new part will make it easy to tell how and where it is disconnected.
Old 05-15-11, 08:18 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I understand your specific question but don't have an answer. I just did my rear pads but did not look at sensor attachment point as mine was intact. You are asking how to disconnect the wire end of the sensor not the sensor end that is clipped to the brake pad.

If you buy the replacement sensor make sure you get the specific front or back correct part and as long as you get the exact correct part it should be pretty obvious how and where the sensor is disconnected by looking at the wire connection end on the new replacement sensor.

If all else fails you could just clip the old sensor wires and solder on the new sensor and insulate with heat shrink tubing. But my guess is the new part will make it easy to tell how and where it is disconnected.
You are right on. That is exactly what I was thinking. I have ordered a new sensor (after market) When it gets here, I will check the connection and hopefully it will be self explanatory. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-15-11, 08:26 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

The sensor itself runs around the back of the hub and clips in.
Old 05-16-11, 06:48 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a picture of the LS430 right rear brake pad sensor... Look for a connector like this one and the mystery will be solved...
Attached Thumbnails DIY Brake Pads-ls430-rear-brake-pad-sensor.jpg  
Old 05-16-11, 08:52 AM
monrovea
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Here's a picture of the LS430 right rear brake pad sensor... Look for a connector like this one and the mystery will be solved...
Thanks a bunch! That is what I was looking for.
Old 05-28-11, 07:14 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Originally Posted by monrovea
Thanks a bunch! That is what I was looking for.
OK I did it. As in the picture of the new sensor, after about a 16 inches it does plug in. I removed the old sensor and solder the two wires together for a spare. It is a very easy fix. I did use an aftermarket sensor found on e-bay for 29 dollars including shipping.
Old 05-28-11, 08:22 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Cool, glad it worked out for you. The brake pads on the Lexus are amazingly easy to work on.